Looking for a pit mat for my workbench

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mechanicos

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Kraton EXB
I already have a hudy 120x75cm pit mat, but its the textured type which i don't really like because it doesn't get cleaned easily from the dirt, and pretty much i am only bashing in dirt. Does any one else use any other type of pit mat or what type of material should i look for? Can i get my own piece of sheet and cut it to size. i want it to cover the whole bench which is 150x75cm.

IMG_20240507_195935.jpg

I already have a hudy 120x75cm pit mat, but its the textured type which i don't really like because it doesn't get cleaned easily from the dirt, and pretty much i am only bashing in dirt. Does any one else use any other type of pit mat or what type of material should i look for? Can i get my own piece of sheet and cut it to size. i want it to cover the whole bench which is 150x75cm.

View attachment 366584
Try using a yoga matt 🤷 they cheap and many are not textured 👍

I've seen some people use gun work mats. Fairly inexpensive at the gun stores. I have a Cow Performance work mat. Magnetic. Caught a coupon code, got it cheaper. I really dig it.

I've seen some people use gun work mats. Fairly inexpensive at the gun stores. I have a Cow Performance work mat. Magnetic. Caught a coupon code, got it cheaper. I really dig it.
But is the cowrc one big enough for the fireteam?

I went to Tractor Supply and bought a horse stall mat. Its super thick and heavy. While it is textured, it's only textured in one direction so its easy to wipe clean. Since its so heavy, it stays in place very nicely on the workbench. I actually cut it into two pieces, one for the work bench and one for the garage coffee table. Both pieces are big enough to hold two Granite's side by side. The cost was around $40.

This has worked great for me for micro and 1/10 stuff. Might find a bigger one out there.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08RXNP9SC
That's a great option for the 1/10 & etc. or anything don't need a big mat for.

I got one on these couple weeks ago for working on small parts, bearing & shim set-up on hubs or bellcranks, servos, tie rods, fans, etc. It has come in really handy and easy to see parts on it. Its like a engineers mat. HH on ebay sometimes will send you a lower offer if you put a watch a item. I got it for $12
https://www.ebay.com/itm/395341402381

Last edited:
Think the guy is looking for a smooth work mat. To work on his large, off-road rigs. So he can wipe off the dirt easily, when done. Must be non textured. (y)
Yes .my first suggestion was a yoga matt.they are wide enough and cheap enough and most are non textured on one side.the under side is textured so it grips whatever you lay it down on

Thank you guys, i have lots of options now to search for, many of the options you suggested i have never heard before. I did a bit of a search but its hard to find something on my exact dimensions 150x75cm. Now i need to find a solution for this, maybe i can find a material thats sold on rolls of sheets, or maybe i can get two different materials and glue them and saw them together. So that i can get non-slip at the bottom

Golf driving range mat. Get a used one and turn it over. The underside material is hard rubber and can take quite a lot of abuse. Usually 5 feet x 5 feet and you can cut it to size.

View attachment 366584

Just hose it off and let it dry outside for an hour, gets pretty clean that way.

cow rc is great, but expensive, if i didnt work on my rcs on the kitchen table i woulda got a regular mat but the cow rc looks better on the kitchen table lol

Back