Big Rock Motor options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ransom 65

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Anyone have motor suggestions?

Looking for a strong motor to run at 4s. I just want to bash a 3s rc with 1/8 scale weight and know it's not going to overheat or blow up. I have bigger tires in mind, metal upgrades, a heavy reinforced body, etc...I'm stuck between hobbywing max8 combo and the castle 1515 mamba combo...evidently they're both much better than the stock Arrma 4s system. Don't know if the spektrum 2050 6s system is a contender or not either.

Planning on plenty of m2c and hr durability upgrades, 4s an arms & slider shafts, 6s shock, talion tires (maybe Mojave if anyone has a suggestion).

The 120a/130a ESCs from spektrum and hobbywing are known to power the MT410, Kraton 4s and other big trucks just fine. I don't know that you'd be getting any more value by adding extra weight from a max8 or mm2/mmx. A 3670 or 3674 size motor are both good upgrades if you get the right kv for running on 4s. I've run a 4068 size motor in my big rock with good results as well.

The castle 1512 combo would be interesting to try. You could also try the 6s setup from the stock kraton. Personally too much weight for me, but would get you power for cheap.

Power system and “many” other upgrades?

Have you considered selling the Big Rock and buying a 6S rig? It would be cheaper and the end result would be much better.

Yeah, I've considered that. I plan on getting a 6s eventually, but my next rig is already picked out. I just want to get this one back in the road since I already have all the spares. Plus I learned on it, so it's got that sentiment 🥲 lol it'll end up being a 4s conversion. I wanna get the losi Baja Rey next, then I'll go 6s after that.

I run the Spek 130 esc with the 6s 2050kv Spektrum Motor. Runs great on 4s. I also use the M2C Motor Mount system. 20t pinion I believe. The 4s 120amp system would work as well.

Yeah, I've considered that. I plan on getting a 6s eventually, but my next rig is already picked out. I just want to get this one back in the road since I already have all the spares. Plus I learned on it, so it's got that sentiment 🥲 lol it'll end up being a 4s conversion. I wanna get the losi Baja Rey next, then I'll go 6s after that.
I have really wanted a Baja Rey or an SBR, but talked myself out of either because they’re such a PITA to work on. Simple, post run maintenance can run into an hour or two. I‘d get too lazy with the maintenance necessary to keep it in good shape.
As for 4s power systems, I have one of these on the way to me:
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/pro...9742033&pr_seq=uniform&variant=40522184196211

I have really wanted a Baja Rey or an SBR, but talked myself out of either because they’re such a PITA to work on. Simple, post run maintenance can run into an hour or two. I‘d get too lazy with the maintenance necessary to keep it in good shape.
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/pro...9742033&pr_seq=uniform&variant=40522184196211
I recently got an SBR. Yes, it's a pain to get to the inside of the truck. But I really haven't had to do that much. Set it and forget it.

The battery tray was made by the devil though.

Love the truck overall.

Anyone have motor suggestions?

Looking for a strong motor to run at 4s. I just want to bash a 3s rc with 1/8 scale weight and know it's not going to overheat or blow up. I have bigger tires in mind, metal upgrades, a heavy reinforced body, etc...I'm stuck between hobbywing max8 combo and the castle 1515 mamba combo...evidently they're both much better than the stock Arrma 4s system. Don't know if the spektrum 2050 6s system is a contender or not either.

Planning on plenty of m2c and hr durability upgrades, 4s an arms & slider shafts, 6s shock, talion tires (maybe Mojave if anyone has a suggestion).
I'm using the v2 kraton motor currently, you will need to upgrade both diffs, mine got both eaten after a bit, upgraded to cheap AliExpress diffs, they were really good. Anyways I think it's a really good choice since it doesn't get hot at all even tho I use all metal gears/diffs and 20t pinion.

I run the Spek 130 esc with the 6s 2050kv Spektrum Motor. Runs great on 4s. I also use the M2C Motor Mount system. 20t pinion I believe. The 4s 120amp system would work as well.
How does the 2050 with the 20t hold up? What tires and temps are you getting?
Yo
ull have to let us know how it works out! I was thinking that system would work, but also wanted to make sure I was well within the weight range so I could do more stuff in the future. Wasn't sure what that combo was recommended for weight wise
Yeah I got the metal diffs already,
I'm using the v2 kraton motor currently, you will need to upgrade both diffs, mine got both eaten after a bit, upgraded to cheap AliExpress diffs, they were really good. Anyways I think it's a really good choice since it doesn't get hot at all even tho I use all metal gears/diffs and 20t pinion.
just trying to maintain that 50mph-ish drivability while being able to torque around something 1/8 scale weight lol you're the second person that said they tan the 20t pinion though. I thought that would've been a bit high, but evidently I've been proven wrong and not mad about it!
I recently got an SBR. Yes, it's a pain to get to the inside of the truck. But I really haven't had to do that much. Set it and forget it.

The battery tray was made by the devil though.

Love the truck overall.
That's the ONLY problem I've seen with the Baja Rey and sbr. What dang size batteries will fit! I felt silly having to buy batteries specifically for one car, but I'm starting to think screw it cus I think the car would just be too much fun to care lol

Last edited:
Temps are good. I still use a single 30mm fan mostly because I had one. I run 2.8 proline badlands. Arrma cvd driveshafts. All steel diffs. They are the older version but are holding up well. Believe it or not still using the composite spur as I like the low noise. I’ll just swap them as needed. I think the motor mount is very important as the bigger motor will tend to bend the stock setup.
IMG_3640.jpeg

image.jpg

Last edited:
ull have to let us know how it works out! I was thinking that system would work, but also wanted to make sure I was well within the weight range so I could do more stuff in the future. Wasn't sure what that combo was recommended for weight wise
You’ve been cruising the Castle website! 😂 I get it. But they’re the only folks who rank their systems by vehicle weight.
First, just a motor change won’t get you where you want to be in terms of making your rig 4s capable, you need a better ESC as well.
Across the board, I think most would agree that the Castle systems make the most power within similar scale systems (1:10, 1:8, 1:5, etc.) but that comes at the cost of more heat and a hint more danger. That’s why they rank them by the weight of the rig. Their systems are run up much closer to the ragged edge.
For bashers, I like the HobbyWing stuff because they build in a safer set of failsafes, still make pretty stupid levels of power for the scale, and almost never burst into flames. Reliability is awesome. If you over do anything, the system will shut down to let you know, and you can then fine tune your gearing, or take off those giant heavy wheels you bought on AliExpress that seemed like a good idea at the time…
If you’re speed running and totally take this hobby to the next level, then Castle is pretty much the only way to go. They can make vastly more power in the 1:8 and 1:7 rigs, offer really good programmability, and provide fantastic data logging. And might burst into flames and burn your car down if you make noob mistakes. But by then you probably won’t.
HobbyWing=Fast, reliable basher setups that are more forgiving than others.
Castle=Fastest possible systems off the shelf, twice the price, top of the line, highest features, worth every penny to those who set them up well, might burn down your rig if you don’t. 😊
Many here on this forum disagree with much of what I’ve just said. And nobody here has ever accused me of brevity.

How does the 2050 with the 20t hold up? What tires and temps are you getting?
I run loosie tires st uphills and st rockets much wider than stock but same height as the stock Senton tires. I don't have a temp gun but most of the time my motor is not even warm when I touch it. I'm also using a rocket fan of banggood but still without it I still get good temps.
just trying to maintain that 50mph-ish drivability while being able to torque around something 1/8 scale weight lol you're the second person that said they tan the 20t pinion though. I thought that would've been a bit high, but evidently I've been proven wrong and not mad about it!
That 4s torque will definitely start breaking things faster than you think. Like 15 days after I got mine 2 of my driveshafts snapped. Both diffs got stripped ( when they were plastic ) and motor screws kept getting loose maybe use some red locktite at that point. If you want to have 50mph definitely use the 20t I would tip using the fan at hot days like at the summer but in the winter you don't have to care at alp about temps.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back