Motor says max 13v, can I do 14.8?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrWednesday

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton EXB
  4. Nero
  5. Outcast 8s
  6. Outcast EXB
  7. Senton 6s
does that extra 1.8V matter that much really? I’m new to this so if it’s a stupid question I’m not trolling, I’m actually asking. Just seems like why? Why make it >13V when they know damn well that last cell jusssssst puts it over the limit, like it’s askin for it! Or is that an industry standard? To go a couple volts past the 11.1 of a 3S for example?

does that extra 1.8V matter that much really? I’m new to this so if it’s a stupid question I’m not trolling, I’m actually asking. Just seems like why? Why make it >13V when they know damn well that last cell jusssssst puts it over the limit, like it’s askin for it! Or is that an industry standard? To go a couple volts past the 11.1 of a 3S for example?
3s is 12.6v when fully charged, a 4s is 16.8v So technically it is an extra 3.8v. Each cell is 4.2v when fully charged, lipo batteries are just advertised at nominal voltages.

Ideally that motor would be run on 3s. You COULD run at higher voltage, so long as you understand the risk. The risk is that you'll spin the motor up to fast and grenade the rotor. Could you run 4s? Probably. Could you run 6s and keep the throttle to half power? Yeah probably. So if you're good at that kind of self control or want to take a gamble, then yeah you could experiment. The safe bet us going to be just using a 3s lipo and never worrying about exceeding max RPM for the rotor.

3s is 12.6v when fully charged, a 4s is 16.8v So technically it is an extra 3.8v. Each cell is 4.2v when fully charged, lipo batteries are just advertised at nominal voltages.
Oh yeah good point, I kinda knew that but it didn’t register. Thanks for the help.
Ideally that motor would be run on 3s. You COULD run at higher voltage, so long as you understand the risk. The risk is that you'll spin the motor up to fast and grenade the rotor. Could you run 4s? Probably. Could you run 6s and keep the throttle to half power? Yeah probably. So if you're good at that kind of self control or want to take a gamble, then yeah you could experiment. The safe bet us going to be just using a 3s lipo and never worrying about exceeding max RPM for the rotor.
Grenade the rotor 🤣 amazing description. I’m using that one, but don’t worry I’ll cite you on it 👍 ok so makes sense, 13 volt max means if it’s 4000kv then it’s max RPM is 52K. Any faster and heat will likely become a big factor. Maybe if I throw a cyclone fan on there and only pin it for short bursts? I guess we will see. I do realize now that it was a stupid question but I’m still glad I asked before retardedly going and doing it thinking it was a harmless case of an extra volt or 2. This info will serve me well, thanks for taking the time to reply and explaining it well. Appreciate it very much .

Last edited:
Oh yeah good point, I kinda knew that but it didn’t register. Thanks for the help.

Grenade the rotor 🤣 amazing description. I’m using that one, but don’t worry I’ll cite you on it 👍 ok so makes sense, 13 volt max means if it’s 4000kv then it’s max RPM is 52K. Any faster and heat will likely become a big factor. Maybe if I throw a cyclone fan on there and only pin it for short bursts? I guess we will see. I do realize now that it was a stupid question but I’m still glad I asked before retardedly going and doing it thinking it was a harmless case of an extra volt or 2. This info will serve me well, thanks for taking the time to reply and explaining it well. Appreciate it very much .
Well realistically, the only risk is destroying the motor (unless i'm wrong, never had it happen to me personally).

Ultimately max voltage is all about controlling RPM of the MOTOR. You could theoretically use 24s (for example) worth of batteries on a 2000kv motor, so long as you don't exceed the motors max RPM. Max RPM on the motor will generally be tied to speed at the wheels, which will require you to do some math in your head to account for differential action of the diffs, moving speed of the vehicle, and whether the wheels are loaded/unloaded (off the ground or not). For example, if you diff out (and one wheel is getting all the speed, your truck might be going no where, but one of the tires is spinning up to supersonic speeds. Essentially, it's experimentation zone. I ran 4s on a 3s motor for a while just to see what happened. It didn't blow up. But if it did, I'd have no one to blame but myself.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back