New to the RC hobby and looking to get the perfect pass monster servo for my Felony 6s. Do I need anything with it or can I just plug and play it??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So BEC is a Battery Eliminator Circuit, it is standard on 99% of ESCs these days to have a receiver battery eliminator circuit stock on board, but a lot of the stock BECs have weak power that gets even worse as the ESC heats up from high load. Spektrum 150A ESC is in the neighborhood of 5 amps continuous when it's cool and happy, but when it gets hot that drops to more like 3.5 or 4 amps. Average stock fan will draw around .4 amps continously, some stronger fans can draw upwards of 1 amp alone. Fancy high end servos that run off receiver power (supplied by your ESC's BEC) that are over 25kg usually draw in the neighborhood of 4-7 amps at stall depending on the speed and torque of the servo. So if you have two fans and your receiver powered by the ESC's BEC, in a perfect world you're already looking at only 4 amps to spare. On a hard turn with a 56kg brushless servo, you're gonna be pulling in the neighborhood of 6 amps from the servo alone. When a servo this strong turns, you can actually hear your fans slow down as they lose power. The highest amp draw on a circuit will reduce the voltage of the rest of the circuit and in severe cases cause complete signal loss on your receiver.

Now all this being said, some ESCs like Castle advertise 8 amp BEC. Well, there's a fine print there. It's 8 amp PEAK current. So that means for a second it can put out that current, but if you're turning hard for longer than that you'll still over draw it. Hobbywing's been beefing up their BECs and the new Max 6 has an 8 amp continuous BEC, but again that's still in perfect world, not when the ESC is 160 degrees from high load.

But back to stock Spektrum 150 amp ESC, the Perfect pass servo will chew that up and spit it out. I've had good luck with the Yeah Racing Glitch Busters that are like 3 dollars on Amain, but glitch busters are really just a bandaid fix. If you try that and still brown out, you'll be left with either upgrading the ESC, adding a receiver pack instead of BEC power, or adding an external BEC.

External BEC will solder onto your ESC power leads and then you'll remove the positive wire from your ESC to the receiver, and plug in the BEC into a spare receiver port. This will step down voltage from your batteries to your receiver. These come in a few different specs but be careful not to overheat them or they can short full battery power to your receiver and fry your servo. I learned this the hard way with Castle BEC Pro on my Outcast and roasted a Savox Brushless servo.

Receiver battery is the most fool proof, same deal you remove the ESC positive wire leading to your receiver and plug a 2s lipo directly to your receiver. Some batteries are made for this because nitro cars have no ESC and thus require a receiver battery. (Hence the name Battery Eliminator Circuit on ESCs). However if you run a receiver battery, make sure you have a remote you can see the receiver voltage and preferably set an alarm on it because you'll need to know when the receiver pack dies.

Anyway I've droned on too long at this point, but yeah that's the territory you get into with these high power servos. Not every ESC is made to stand up to a 56kg brushless servo.

Oh forgot to mention, Felony and Infraction are perfectly happy on servos in the 20 to 30kg range. I personally run a Savox 2274 on my Infraction which has 25kg torque at 7.4v and probably around 30 at 8.4v. I would argue the higher speed of those servos versus something like the Perfect Pass 56kg is more desirable versus something like Kraton or Outcast where you need big torque to throw around those big tires on high speed turns. That being said if you're only speed running and not turning a lot the higher torque might help keep you on a straight line.

Yeah on my Infraction I didn't even bother trying the MMX8s esc, I have too many fans and still have the handbrake, plus Savox servos are especially amp hungry. My 2274 apparently draws around 8 amps on stall at 8.4v.
Now that is a explanation right there!! :) Thank you so much!! That is a lot to soak in. lol So to run this monster I need to either get a glitch buster with a BEC or upgrade the ESC to a max6 or better? As i am new to this n haven't done a whole lot of soldering. lol Im tryin to avoid it atm knowing im going to need to do it in the long run n rather get more experience on another rc than my felony first. lol Thinking I should just return the monster when it gets here and look into the Savox 2274. Im only running the 2 fans but not stock fans. So glad I asked this before putting it in n just running it. lol

Wait ???
There’s a manual?
Who woulda thought right!! ;) lmao

Now that is a explanation right there!! :) Thank you so much!! That is a lot to soak in. lol So to run this monster I need to either get a glitch buster with a BEC or upgrade the ESC to a max6 or better? As i am new to this n haven't done a whole lot of soldering. lol Im tryin to avoid it atm knowing im going to need to do it in the long run n rather get more experience on another rc than my felony first. lol Thinking I should just return the monster when it gets here and look into the Savox 2274. Im only running the 2 fans but not stock fans. So glad I asked this before putting it in n just running it. lol

Who woulda thought right!! ;) lmao
Sorry I should've done a sort of synopsis at the end haha.

Glitch buster is unnecessary if you do an external BEC or receiver pack. The Glitch Buster is sort of a bandaid fix if you stick with stock ESC, it might work out, it might not. The thing with the perfect pass servo is while it will draw a lot of amps on stall, it won't be pushed very hard in a Felony. You might be able to get away with a glitch buster alone since it won't ever near actually needing 56kg of torque to steer the felony tires.

I would personally just run it, see if you lose signal on hard turns and be careful at first, then if you find yourself losing signal try glitch buster first. Or just get glitch buster now and see if it works fine. If it works, it works, no big deal you aren't getting all 56kg since you don't need it. If you brown out, look into rx 2s pack or external BEC at that point.

Sorry I should've done a sort of synopsis at the end haha.

Glitch buster is unnecessary if you do an external BEC or receiver pack. The Glitch Buster is sort of a bandaid fix if you stick with stock ESC, it might work out, it might not. The thing with the perfect pass servo is while it will draw a lot of amps on stall, it won't be pushed very hard in a Felony. You might be able to get away with a glitch buster alone since it won't ever near actually needing 56kg of torque to steer the felony tires.

I would personally just run it, see if you lose signal on hard turns and be careful at first, then if you find yourself losing signal try glitch buster first. Or just get glitch buster now and see if it works fine. If it works, it works, no big deal you aren't getting all 56kg since you don't need it. If you brown out, look into rx 2s pack or external BEC at that point.
No worrie's. :) You rock bro and thank you for all your help!!! I will give the glitch buster a shot n see what happens. lol if it brown outs, would upgrading the ESC solve the issue? As I wouldn't mind avoiding all the extra monitoring another battery or a extra receiver. Just want to keep things as tidy as possible. plus already putting another small 900 mah batt to run my lights. lol

No worrie's. :) You rock bro and thank you for all your help!!! I will give the glitch buster a shot n see what happens. lol if it brown outs, would upgrading the ESC solve the issue? As I wouldn't mind avoiding all the extra monitoring another battery or a extra receiver. Just want to keep things as tidy as possible. plus already putting another small 900 mah batt to run my lights. lol
I think Max6 G2 would solve it, but probably nothing less than that.

I think Max6 G2 would solve it, but probably nothing less than that.
Awesome... sorry for all the mad questioning. lol But certainly learned alot from it. I think if the glitch buster doesn't work next step will be upgrading the ESC and hopefully will help with future endeavors n now knowing what the possible problem could be. :D Thanks a ton, greatly appreciate it!!

Ok gotta ask another question lol but been looking and is max8 a better choice for this as it seems they are around the same price point?
For a Felony I would lean heavily on the Max6 over the Max8. The Arrma off road cars hit higher amp peaks, but the on road cars draw more sustained amps at least the way I drive them. I've overheated my stock electronics on the Vendetta and Infraction way more than my off road ones. Max6 will handle it better.

Plus Max6 is way more ESC for the money.

So much information on the forum. Lots of helpful folks.
You setting your Felony up for drifting or drag or street bash monster? Or do-all?
There is a lot of info here and helpful folks as yourself, thanks for showing me that. Awesome stuff! As for now mostly drifting/street bashing with the occasional rippin down the street. lol But do plan to do speed runs din the future. (No drag) lol

For a Felony I would lean heavily on the Max6 over the Max8. The Arrma off road cars hit higher amp peaks, but the on road cars draw more sustained amps at least the way I drive them. I've overheated my stock electronics on the Vendetta and Infraction way more than my off road ones. Max6 will handle it better.

Plus Max6 is way more ESC for the money.
Awesome... yea been reading some posts that 332_rc pointed out n seems thats the way to go. Figured if I am going to shell out 230 bucks for a ESC might as well go for best option right. :)

There is a lot of info here and helpful folks as yourself, thanks for showing me that. Awesome stuff! As for now mostly drifting/street bashing with the occasional rippin down the street. lol But do plan to do speed runs din the future. (No drag) lol

Awesome... yea been reading some posts that 332_rc pointed out n seems thats the way to go. Figured if I am going to shell out 230 bucks for a ESC might as well go for best option right. :)
I know some Felony owners do 132ft (1/4mile scale) drag racing. Just wondering. I have a 6s & 3s Infractions & do street bashing, drifting, power slides, donuts & sometimes curb jumping, by accident.

I know some Felony owners do 132ft (1/4mile scale) drag racing. Just wondering. I have a 6s & 3s Infractions & do street bashing, drifting, power slides, donuts & sometimes curb jumping, by accident.
Right... its what I love doin with this car too but I also have the need for speed and just want to let it rip coz it can lay down the rubber! ;)

Right... its what I love doin with this car too but I also have the need for speed and just want to let it rip coz it can lay down the rubber! ;)
Heck yeah. I've got a Sky GNSS on my 3s. Ordered the TPU mount for it to go in the 6s. I'll be doing some speed passes. I just got the 6s couple weeks ago & I'm going thru the diffs, changing the fluids & checking it all over. Couple slight upgrades 1st.

Heck yeah. I've got a Sky GNSS on my 3s. Ordered the TPU mount for it to go in the 6s. I'll be doing some speed passes. I just got the 6s couple weeks ago & I'm going thru the diffs, changing the fluids & checking it all over. Couple slight upgrades 1st.
I will have a look into that Sky GNSS and add it to the wishlist for future reference. lol Thanks

Back