Kraton Need help choosing between 6s and 8

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andye

Reaction score
Hi, it’s my first time posting and I’d really appreciate some opinions chucked at me.
Earlier this year me and 3 friends got into RC bashing of sorts. We all started out with various similar 3s cars, I personally went with the granite. Pretty quickly one of the group went balls deep on an Xmaxx, however with me and the other two sticking with our similar 3’s it was fine when we went out together. Naturally I’ve been thinking of upgrading for a while, watching hundreds of videos of 6 and 8 s cars, and have been really drawn to the fireteam. This week the other 2 in the group picked up an Xmaxx and an Outcast 8 exb. My question is can the fireteam hang with the big boys or will I be wishing I went 8S? Should I go Kraton? If I need to go 8s what would you go? We go on skate parks and a rock pile in a quarry quite a lot for a bit of background into where we run.
Thanks.

Hi, it’s my first time posting and I’d really appreciate some opinions chucked at me.
Earlier this year me and 3 friends got into RC bashing of sorts. We all started out with various similar 3s cars, I personally went with the granite. Pretty quickly one of the group went balls deep on an Xmaxx, however with me and the other two sticking with our similar 3’s it was fine when we went out together. Naturally I’ve been thinking of upgrading for a while, watching hundreds of videos of 6 and 8 s cars, and have been really drawn to the fireteam. This week the other 2 in the group picked up an Xmaxx and an Outcast 8 exb. My question is can the fireteam hang with the big boys or will I be wishing I went 8S? Should I go Kraton? If I need to go 8s what would you go? We go on skate parks and a rock pile in a quarry quite a lot for a bit of background into where we run.
Thanks.
If you are going to go 8s. Go with the Xmaxx. I have experience with the K8S EXB, Outcast 8s and Xmaxx. I have all 3. I even have the XRT. For what you mentioned, the Xmaxx would be your best bet. If it was more open fields and less jumping, I would suggest the XRT.

I have a fireteam and my neighbor has an X-Maxx. The X-maxx is pretty indestructible. It has a lot more plastic on it and he can do things I am pretty sure will break my FT if I tried them which is why it is more than twice the cost. I cant comment on the Kraton. From what I have seen it is not a X-Maxx but still a pretty rugged car. The FT is pretty fun but not a flying basher.
If you plan on jumping, get something bigger and heftier than the FT.

If you are going to go 8s. Go with the Xmaxx. I have experience with the K8S EXB, Outcast 8s and Xmaxx. I have all 3. I even have the XRT. For what you mentioned, the Xmaxx would be your best bet. If it was more open fields and less jumping, I would suggest the XRT.
Agree on that.

I have both the K8 and OC8 EXB's...love them. Regularly send them off ramps. They break when you have bad wrecks. Well worth it imo..the handling and air control is unlike anything else I own. I don't own an XMaxx but from what I've seen it's more "clunky". If I got a Traxxas 1/5 it would probably be the XRT but it needs upgrades to withstand normal bashing. I can justify spending a bunch on upgrades starting out with a 400-500 dollar roller than 1K RTR Traxxas and need upgrades.

There is one big downside with the XMaxx - poor aircontrol with the stock tires when jumping. They are just not heavy enough. Heavier tires need a stronger drivetrain. That does make the XMaxx and XRT pretty expensive rigs.
If you can handle driving a 6s Kraton next to a big rig - probably with time they'll get one too.

Last edited:
I would probably pick something the others wouldn't be driving as well, but that's just me (even if it's less ideal). Or at least get a different body for the Xmaxx/whatever they also have. It's annoying when you can't tell 2 vehicles apart. Plus side of having similar trucks is that it's easier to help each other out with spare-parts on site or when shops take forever to deliver.

Fireteam or other 6S models are much smaller and I can imagine you'd feel dwarfed (and they might jest you about it). On the other hand, if you'd get one of those, it's much cheaper/or you have lots of room to upgrade those.

But I think you should buy what you like. Don't make their decisions force you to overspend your budget (more expensive gear also means more expensive repairs, because even indestructible trucks break, especially on skate-parks)

If you must have an 1/5 then the O8s EXB and it is on sale. But I think that the 6s Kraton is a very good basher and will keep up with anything out there. My go to RC's are my K4sv2 and my O8s. I do not run a 6s so (3s & 3s) I only run 4S/8s rigs.

If you go the K8 or O8 route you better be sure to land those jumps darn near perfectly, or else you stand a pretty high chance of bending or breaking something. The XMAXX has a lot more plastic, making it more forgiving. As far as speed, the Fireteam is a tad bit faster IMO due to the less weight it has to lug around. The 6S will likely be a little easier on your wallet when it comes to initial entry price, repairs, & upgrades. Now if money is no object, then by all means get the biggest baddest 8S rig you can find and send that thing to the moon! I own a Fireteam and a K8, they're both awesome in their own unique way. But I will say it's easier to just throw the Fireteam in the car and head out. Also, the 8S rigs are a bear to lug back when the batteries die. You can't go wrong with either one, just depends on what you're looking for in a rig. I'm sure others will have varying opinions, but that's just my .02... Good luck!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back