Typhon newbie with a new typhon

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwnm2

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
so i'm brand new to the hobby and jumping in head first with a typhon 6s. I'm a bit unsure about batteries, as at this point its a lot of numbers and brands that don't make much sense. From reading a few threads it seems one 6S is the better way to go over two 3S. Since the car comes with a spektrum radio is this the best way to go for batteries, and charger? Is having the battery status display on to the radio important, as I've read that discharging a lipo battery to much isn't good for them. You certainly pay for the brand, and they don't seem to have great customer service....didn't respond to my emails. At this point id like to keep things easy, cause it seems you could do some damage if you don't know what you're doing.
thanks

Lots of opinions on batteries and chargers. So, i’ll just share the option i use.

I go for 2x3s batteries. Cheaper and if one cell goes bad or a pack gets ejected, i don't lose the whole 6s pack.

Charging, i always balance charge and use whatever cheapo name brand lipo charger from amazon. A dual charger is like $85.

And u can get goldbatt 3s batteries, 6000mah for $28/each. Been doing this for about 2 years.

My cheapness does not allow me to spend money on those crazy name brand batteries. Keep in mind, the ESC in your typhon has an LVC (low voltage cut), so it will stop the car when it’s too low, you wont kill the battery.

Also, im just bashing and i have a few trucks. Not racing, so - this setup is great for my setup.

Good luck… stay tuned for 100 other battery/charger options. Lol

so i'm brand new to the hobby and jumping in head first with a typhon 6s. I'm a bit unsure about batteries, as at this point its a lot of numbers and brands that don't make much sense. From reading a few threads it seems one 6S is the better way to go over two 3S. Since the car comes with a spektrum radio is this the best way to go for batteries, and charger? Is having the battery status display on to the radio important, as I've read that discharging a lipo battery to much isn't good for them. You certainly pay for the brand, and they don't seem to have great customer service....didn't respond to my emails. At this point id like to keep things easy, cause it seems you could do some damage if you don't know what you're doing.
thanks
Welcome, what type of usage are you planning on?. Such as bashing, track racing or speed running? I don't care for the spectrum stuff. There is so much more out there with far better quality and less $. My experience taught me to start out on 4S then if need be work your way up to 6S. A lot less damage along the way. Enjoy great car

Welcome to the forum. It is my opinion, that you do not need top of the line batteries or chargers. My cheap (50.00) B6AC 80 watt chargers are sufficient for my needs. To many battery choices to even comment on. Enjoy your Typhon 6... girl friend just bought the typhon 3s, loves it!

so what i am hearing is its not necessary to match radio and battery brand...the battery status on the remote isn't a big deal?
Don't get caught up in hype/marketing.
At the same time I want to make sure that what I buy for battery/charger will work properly, for balancing etc and in the future if I have non lipo batteries.

To me coming into this hobby this is an area thats overlooked by manufacturers...about making it simpler/easier.

thanks

I’ve also recently gotten into the hobby and had a lot of the same questions. I have both the Typhon 3s and 6s.

I was given some good advice and would pass the same along - for simplicity, just plan on running one battery. I ordered several different pairs of 3s packs and couldn’t get any to fit in the tight confines of the Typhon 6s battery tray. I was doing that to try to accommodate a Spektrum charger than could only handle up to 4s batteries. I’ve found that I really need a single pack that measures 47mm wide and 50mm tall. Length generally isn’t a problem, there’s space for something like 158mm there.

On the 3s Typhon, going all Spektrum is a super easy and less overwhelming as we’re learning all of the intricacies involved. But I quickly realized that I needed more flexibility offered in using a charger that can handle up to 6s batteries, that also had some functions like storage charge and discharge, which my Spektrum charger did not have.

Here’s my thread on this topic, there’s a lot of good advice, including the charger, battery packs, and accessories I ended up using:

https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/power-recommendations-typhon-6s.59682/

Welcome aboard! Great advice above from all. 😁 ✌️

Yes, 1 6s for Typhon. Fits much better with that body.

For general bashing, budget friendly lipos are fine. Speed running you def would want to spend more on the batts.

I don't use any of the telemetry stuff on any of my rigs.

Research, research, research....can't emphasize this enough. I've done hours and hours of research. Best way to learn! (y)

If you're new to the RC hobby, we have several very active threads here on ArrmaForum that could be especially of some help for you to making your start into the hobby much more enjoyable.
Even if you're not new, we would still love to hear your feedback on the tools and electronics you are using in the above threads!

Quick Forum Tips​

If you do the social media thing, be sure to like and follow us on Facebook and Twitter!

Premium Membership​

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back