Outcast Outcast 6S EXB whirling sound after bad landing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demibash

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
New to the bashing scene, and RCs in general. I bought my first Arrma yesterday (was actually gonna go with the Kraton 8S exb RTR) but the LHS had one of the discontinued outcast 6s exb rtr in stock, so I got one. First night ran completely fine, through dusty terrain. Today I took it to a BMX park which had bigger jumps and had a roof landing, was at most a 5 ft jump; flipped over the truck and started hearing to loud whirling sound (seemed like it got louder and louder). I panicked and took the body off to unplug the lipos just in case but it just stopped. I hope some of you experts can assist me (I know that the Arrma forum loves pictures/videos) so here.

0EFEB382-65CF-4CBE-8494-9B7BD807E4E7.jpeg

This is a video of the mesh.

P:S I noticed this truck came out of the box with loose EVERYTHING. The wing mount, the (servo mount)? was flexing a lot when I was cranking it, so I put some blue tread lock on for it now its much better.
98FB778F-49AC-4944-8B50-516100239E8D.jpeg

Thank you lads in advance! :D

Thank you! Unfortunately, it was right after that bad landing and it only lasted for 10 seconds or less. Wouldn't have had time to pull my phone out for it.

Maybe the fan blades got knocked off the hub slightly or something was lodged in the fan itself. They don't really use the highest quality fans in the escs.

One thing that you realize after being in the hobby is that RTR does not necessarily mean that the car is ready to run at the very least you must do a visual inspection of everything on the car. I tend to do at least a partial teardown of the vehicle. Most of the rc companies have no control over QC of the parts. Arrma does offer a 2 year warranty which helps when something is not right. I'm still convinced that the chassis on my Fireteam was bent out of the box which would explainhl how the bent front center driveshaft was bent out of the box.

Those Arrma pinions…

I have had problems with mine. The mesh honestly sounds and looks a tad bit loose.

Also do you still here the noise. If so only when using the motor or when rolling it in the ground by your hand as well?
It sounded like it was when it was just sitting there as he mentioned trying to get the batteries unplugged and the sound stopped.

Did it sound kinda like this?

Those Arrma pinions…

I have had problems with mine. The mesh honestly sounds and looks a tad bit loose.

Also do you still here the noise. If so only when using the motor or when rolling it in the ground by your hand as well?
What about the pinions? Should I tighten it? I honestly thought giving it the slightest bit of slack is necessary but maybe this is too loose indeed. The sound only happened after that crash for less than 10 seconds, and it stopped and hasnt done it since
It sounded like it was when it was just sitting there as he mentioned trying to get the batteries unplugged and the sound stopped.
Yeah It was at an idle when it made that whirling noise

What about the pinions? Should I tighten it? I honestly thought giving it the slightest bit of slack is necessary but maybe this is too loose indeed. The sound only happened after that crash for less than 10 seconds, and it stopped and hasnt done it since

Yeah It was at an idle when it made that whirling noise
Personally I have had problems with the Arrma pinions. You see with your pinion the metal is starting to twist around where the spur makes contacts.

Personally I have had problems with the Arrma pinions. You see with your pinion the metal is starting to twist around where the spur makes contacts.

Ditto. I find they wear pretty fast. I prefer Tekno or Robinson Racing for pinions. Tekno uses a larger grub screw as well which is very nice.

Did it sound kinda like this?

That is exactly it. Thank you so much, I was pretty concerned. It also worried me since I also noticed that the motor was hot to the touch, unlike yesterday when I ran it pretty hard for 30 mins straight (it was still cool/room temp) after that. Could this be the loose mesh? or something else

Yeah I do now, should I even run it with these pinions? Or get replacements asap

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back