Kraton Pinion size help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony7782

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I have a bone stock kraton and I want to gear up but I’m torn on putting in high speed gear that come with the kraton or a high speed gear from a typhon I have. I believe it’s a 16 tooth pinion will this be too much. Also I am putting on a hobbywing fan in this process

No heat issues or anything. I’m running trencher 40 series. They are a pretty beefy tire

I run backflips. They are beefy too.No issues on 16 except in grass which heats everything up regardless. Here’s the thing. Personally I don’t see the difference between 14 and 16 in terms of torque or speed. I’m sure there is one but it’s not noticeable to me. I did notice a difference between 12 and 16 though. But it’s not huge. That’s just me though. A lot of guys here are way more attentive to the details. I just like to run my car in the dirt. 5mph or whatever gain or loss doesn’t bother me. So why not try 14 first. The parts are cheap.

I appreciate this because this is the first time ever changing pinion in anything so I wasn’t sure exactly how much of a difference it would be. Thank u

Try 16 and see how it goes. Pinions are like 10 bucks on eBay. The installation isn’t too bad either. It was for me on my kraton the majority of the time. You’ll have the change your center diff fluid too in order to keep your front down. Bigger pinion is bigger torque

I plan on changing diff fluid and adding a motor fan all at same time as pinion change

Try 16 and see how it goes. Pinions are like 10 bucks on eBay. The installation isn’t too bad either. It was for me on my kraton the majority of the time. You’ll have the change your center diff fluid too in order to keep your front down. Bigger pinion is bigger torque

A "Bigger pinion is bigger torque"
This is incorrect. The larger pinion makes a higher gear ratio (lower numerically) This will create less torque applied. A smaller pinion makes a lower gear ratio (higher numerically) This will create more torque applied. The larger pinion will create more speed. The smaller pinion will increase acceleration. Neither effects the actual power produced by the motor. It just changes how that power is applied.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back