Outcast Re Pinion Gears... newer 12 t uses two set screws

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABRedneck

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hey folks...
I got tricked into buying an old style pinion gear.
Buyer beware I guess...

ANYWAY, don’t be dumb like me!
It appears that the newest 12 t pinion offered by Arrma uses two, count em 2
set screws, for double the holding power on them pesky pinion gears!
Other ratios my also use two, I didn’t check any other than the 12t.

Even knowing that, somehow that Sum Beech sold me a one set screw pinion
when I wasn’t looking...
Part # ARMAR310473
I think the two set screw version will be a huge improvement, use extra blue loctite.

I try but from the LHS when I can...
But I’m finding much diversity in the quality of customer service.
The shop I prefer doesn’t carry very much Arrma stuff, but I try them first, then online...

Okay, happy wheeling all y’all!!
RJP

Hey folks...
I got tricked into buying an old style pinion gear.
Buyer beware I guess...

ANYWAY, don’t be dumb like me!
It appears that the newest 12 t pinion offered by Arrma uses two, count em 2
set screws, for double the holding power on them pesky pinion gears!
Other ratios my also use two, I didn’t check any other than the 12t.

Even knowing that, somehow that Sum Beech sold me a one set screw pinion
when I wasn’t looking...
Part # ARMAR310473
I think the two set screw version will be a huge improvement, use extra blue loctite.

I try but from the LHS when I can...
But I’m finding much diversity in the quality of customer service.
The shop I prefer doesn’t carry very much Arrma stuff, but I try them first, then online...

Okay, happy wheeling all y’all!!
RJP
It will help to have a second grub to help hold pinion in place but I really doubt it will b any different

I just use red 271 loctite no problems a little heat and it will come right off .

When I raced 1/10 way back when, I had several pinions with two threaded holes. I only ever used one. IMHO, It is not about strength or a backup grub screw, but more about easy to mfgr - just thru drill & tap, instead of half drilling.

If you think about it, that second grub screw is not doing any good. There is a flat spot on the motor shaft for a reason.

When I raced 1/10 way back when, I had several pinions with two threaded holes. I only ever used one. IMHO, It is not about strength or a backup grub screw, but more about easy to mfgr - just thru drill & tap, instead of half drilling.

If you think about it, that second grub screw is not doing any good. There is a flat spot on the motor shaft for a reason.
I agree

All good ideas / suggestions... thanks!

I've just been using blue loctite, and had the pinion back off a couple times...
I didn't want to use heat, but really, if it's on there, and staying on, there is no reason to take it off.
Unless changing the pinion...
For me, I get enough speed out of the 12 t.
I haven't messed with the punch setting yet, but like my 1:1 vehicles, would sacrifice some top speed for
low end...
But thanks for the clues...
I just don't seem to remember all of the wrenching over the years...
Tuff getting old!
Thanks again fellers!

I just don't seem to remember all of the wrenching over the years...
Tuff getting old!

One of these with a good set of MIP bits makes arthritis easier to deal with:
2018-0420-MilwaukeeM12ScrewDriver.jpg

Without it, I don't know that I could even run RC's anymore!

One of these with a good set of MIP bits makes arthritis easier to deal with:
2018-0420-MilwaukeeM12ScrewDriver.jpg

Without it, I don't know that I could even run RC's anymore!

EDIT: your Driver looks like a better size , smaller & more appropriate, than the elec driver set
I have... I may have to go look at the Milwaukee drivers, thanks again Olds...

I understand Olds!!
I worked in a slaughterhouse for 5 years prior to becoming a HD mechanic.
So, of course like everyone there, I had Carpal Relief done on both hands.
Another wrist operation after my motorcycle wreck.

So, I'm sorry you're in pain bud...
I wish I could take all that pain & aches & agony, we go through
& I sure as heck would give it all to my worst enemy!!

The bike wreck ended my working days...
So I'm enjoying wrenching on my Outcast...
It's more work than I expected, but I also went in to
buy a crawler & left with the Outcast!

Thanks for the suggestion Olds!
I have a B&D with interchangeable drill/driver/Impact etc...
I've been hesitant to use it on the little stuff...
But when I get around to installing all the accessories & upgrades,
I'll get them bits on the B&D!

I can't remember the bits I bought...
They look like the "Dynamite" 4 Hex bits & ratchet handle, tho mine is blue, not red.
It's not so simple to find those little one end wrenches...
I had sae ignition wrench set, and finally found a metric set.
They look ok, & had one size smaller than the Cdn Harbour Freight equivalent
I had.

Well, sorry Olds & all y'all, I get kinda type chatty, I know...
I hope y'all have a great safe weekend!!
RJP
Ps, ya know... I think that the two set screw 12t pinion is gonna be an improvement.
Even with only one flat side on the 5mm shaft, the two set screws will still grab more.
I haven't stripped any gears "yet" the max I've run is 6s with the 12t.
I did replace the pinion yesterday & used red loctite this time.

What I may try, if I'm still having the pinion gear loosen up...
Is install the two set screw pinion with the one set screw on the flat.
Then use the other holes to guide a drill bit & make a divot in the shaft opposite the flat side
so the set screw does more than on the rounded shaft.

Which, all of the previous blabbing is hopefully for nothing, & my one set screw & red loctite
keeps the 12t pinion in place!!

Again, thanks for all your suggestions, & have some good borderline safe fun!!

Yeah, the Milwaukee M12 driver is a perfect device for these things. Compact, light, has a led light and clutch which is very handy to avoid stripping plastic threads. I used it to put an entire HPI 5B SS kit together once. Soooo many screws... lol! Before that, I had the dewalt 9.6V with NiMH cells I think, that was before lipo tools were becoming main stream. I have a b&d 12V compact drill as well, but I use it just for drilling. It uses the same size battery pack (shaped a bit different of course) as the milwaukee and my lithium dremel. Would be nice if those companies would talk to each other so you didn't have to have a specific set of batteries and chargers for each one.

I've tried quite a few brands of hex bits over the years and while the MIP's are the most expensive, they are also the longest lasting. I've tried Hudy, dynamite, ofna and noname ones from various hardware stores. The MIP's were the last ones I bought 4+ years ago.

Yeah, the Milwaukee M12 driver is a perfect device for these things. Compact, light, has a led light and clutch which is very handy to avoid stripping plastic threads. I used it to put an entire HPI 5B SS kit together once. Soooo many screws... lol! Before that, I had the dewalt 9.6V with NiMH cells I think, that was before lipo tools were becoming main stream. I have a b&d 12V compact drill as well, but I use it just for drilling. It uses the same size battery pack (shaped a bit different of course) as the milwaukee and my lithium dremel. Would be nice if those companies would talk to each other so you didn't have to have a specific set of batteries and chargers for each one.

I've tried quite a few brands of hex bits over the years and while the MIP's are the most expensive, they are also the longest lasting. I've tried Hudy, dynamite, ofna and noname ones from various hardware stores. The MIP's were the last ones I bought 4+ years ago.

Thanks again Olds!
I appreciate the suggestions!
I didn't know about the light!
You sharing info like that is very cool!
That's a lot of money saved by us, thanks to your
trial & error!

And yes, it would be nice if there was a standard fit to batteries etc...!!!

I use the rigid sub compact 12v impact driver with mip hex heads it is very compact reminds me of my subcompact 40cal s&w very easy to fit in to tight places. I do a lot of drywall finishing so I'm usually on stilts and have a pan of drywall mud and knives in my hands for 12 to 16 hrs a day so I kno they pain you guys a referring to. I have to get carpal relief surgery soon but I'm so worried about how it will effect my ability to finish drywall. I also broke my right had in 15 places when I was 17 and it kills me the weather is still kinda cold her so I deal with a lot of pain and I honestly don't kno if I could work on all my RC with out the driver I have then this happened like 2moths ago cut straight to the bone and cut thro the tendons in my thumb doing physical therapy sucks but it helps hope you both are not feeling to much pain this weekend I refuse to take pain meds so I really suffer but I'd rather b in pain then to develope an addiction.
20180207_154825.jpg

I use the rigid sub compact 12v impact driver with mip hex heads it is very compact reminds me of my subcompact 40cal s&w very easy to fit in to tight places. I do a lot of drywall finishing so I'm usually on stilts and have a pan of drywall mud and knives in my hands for 12 to 16 hrs a day so I kno they pain you guys a referring to. I have to get carpal relief surgery soon but I'm so worried about how it will effect my ability to finish drywall. I also broke my right had in 15 places when I was 17 and it kills me the weather is still kinda cold her so I deal with a lot of pain and I honestly don't kno if I could work on all my RC with out the driver I have then this happened like 2moths ago cut straight to the bone and cut thro the tendons in my thumb doing physical therapy sucks but it helps hope you both are not feeling to much pain this weekend I refuse to take pain meds so I really suffer but I'd rather b in pain then to develope an addiction. View attachment 18086

I'm sorry you're dealing with so much pain Outcast...
Especially doing hard work like you do...
and that's a nasty cut fer sure!

My Carpal relief surgery was done a long time ago...
When they cut the palms open...
But they have new techniques such as arthoscopic surgery...

Even tho the recovery time was quite long, my hands did eventually
feel better.
In my opinion, and how my hands felt before surgery & a year after surgery,
the operation was worth it.

And, there are genuine reasons for pain control...
Such as suffering more than you have to while you
bust your but making a living!

It's like taking Insulin, or High Blood pressure meds, etc...
If you are true to yourself, you will take them only as advised.
But there are also non narcotic meds for pain.

Don't punish yourself bud...
Here's hoping you heal up asap!
And thanks for the post OC!
RJP

Thank u abr for the positive way of looking at it I suffered with opiate addiction after a terrible car accident where I lost some1 close to me because I hit black ice and hit a concrete median head on at high way speed she broke her neck and was d.o.a and it tore me apart that's my main reason for refusing to take med because I kno it only takes 1 slip and I could end where I was before and it scares the shot out of me. But do u kno of any non narcotics that actually work because I think I'd try that but there are deff days way worse then others really it's when it's cold.

Thank u abr for the positive way of looking at it I suffered with opiate addiction after a terrible car accident where I lost some1 close to me because I hit black ice and hit a concrete median head on at high way speed she broke her neck and was d.o.a and it tore me apart that's my main reason for refusing to take med because I kno it only takes 1 slip and I could end where I was before and it scares the shot out of me. But do u kno of any non narcotics that actually work because I think I'd try that but there are deff days way worse then others really it's when it's cold.

Thanks for sharing that OC...
I understand & sent you a message!
The weather sure can make things worse!
I found it's Humidity that makes my pain seem worse.

Winter in Alberta, I can't do very much...
But me & my ex went to Palm Springs, actually Yucca Valley a few weeks ago, and wow!
I hiked 4 miles in the Joshua Tree forest!
I haven't walked 4 miles at home all winter!

You have a good attitude, and are a hard worker & smart!
I look forward to more of your posts!
Best of luck!!
RJP

Another vote here for the Milwaukee M12 driver. It has enough power for 95% of the around the house jobs, but is still light enough for RC work. Great clutch too, I set it to 1 or 2 and then hand torque the screws for the final set. I do recommend getting one of the extended 4x capacity batteries with the flat bottom - then you can stand the driver up on the handle. To me, this makes it a bit nicer on the work bench.

This thread reminds me, 3 years later, my M12 charger died this weekend. Need to get another.

Hey there fellers!!

Yessir, them Lipo Batteries are changing the future...
Or are the future... or here because it's the future?
Aww heck, y'all know what I mean!

So don't gimme heck, but I don't like going into town much...
So Sunday I went to visit my ex & our dog.
Only W-mart was open on the way home to the barn,
so I stopped and bought a cheap rechargeable driver...
It's nothing fancy, not adjustable, but 200 rpm max.

And it sure does make a difference, I guess I didn't really realize just how many screws the put these things together with!
You guys are very convincing!

HEY,!!
Mr IamtheOutcast... or IOC fer short from now on...
(Or William, or Will, or Bill, or let us know, at least until we can give you a zany nickname!)
IOC!
I totally forgot to mention...
I don't know how long it's been since you broke your hand, seriously broke it!!
But as a drunk, rig pig, Redneck, good fer nothing, I've had a few injuries to my hands as well...

And cold was hell... I especially hated the cold steering wheel on a winter morning!
My hands would hurt so bad, & I wasn't even at work yet...
And because of the Carpal Tunnel, there were days I had to walk to work, I couldn't pull the clutch in on my bike...
(Yes, I know it isn't eyactly smart to have only a motorcycle in Alberta...lol)

But one of the benefits of the Carpal Relief surgery was that I wasn't in so much agony in the cold anymore.
So, if you can get r dun IOC, you may have even less pain, which is of course what I wish for you my friend!!

And...
Sorry Woody!,
I know I totally steered off track...
New thread coming up!
IOC, let me know how you're doing bud!
RJP

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back