Big Rock Rubbish steering

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like you have loose stub axels causing excessive slop. Check both front hubs and bearings for any breakage. Hex should be nice and snug to the hub.

Lots of potential issues. Stock links on the 3s trucks develop slop in the pivot balls, could be general slop in the suspension components, loose screw in steering blocks, or the blocks could be broken, squishy servo saver (they get squishy over time), or the short stubby link connecting the steering assembly to the servo saver (the stock one develope lots of slop). Could also be loose sub axles like @GraniteFox mentioned.

Most likely in my book are either that the servo saver has gone squishy, or the steering links (including the short stubby one) have slop, which usually can be seen in the pivot balls. Gotta start chasing them down one by one to validate what's causing the issue.

Take off the wheels and find what's loose or bent.

Hi .. I wonder if it's the pivot balls ..

I brought some cheap red ones on AliExpress which are smaller than the stock ones ..

Has anyone else had this problem ?

Also does.anyone happen to have a part.no for a much better quality pivot ball ?

Thanks so much Simon

IMG_20240130_121810.jpg

I brought some cheap red ones on AliExpress which are smaller than the stock ones ..

Also does.anyone happen to have a part.no for a much better quality pivot ball ?

Thanks so much Simon

View attachment 345701
No personal experience with these pivot balls, but I know many people will pick these Hot Racing pivot balls up (ATF160B02) and have decent things to say about them iirc.
https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=ATF160B02;c=1385

Not have the right size of pivot balls could definitely make your suspension and steering components squishy.

Steel, not Alloy balls are best. Stocker plastic ones have to go.(n)
I think some of the 4x4 guys are running Traxass Steel Balls and Ends with great success, if I am correct.
There is inherent adulterated slop throughout all the ball links, right out the box.
The Servo saver spring inside the stocker SS wears out , poor Chinesium spring steel that is weak and stays compressed, and this adds insult to injury. Hence Poor steering precision. Replace the SS with a Kimbrough HD one.

Last edited:

Thanks so much Simon

View attachment 345701
I think those are the other style there should be another pivot ball similar to the black one in the bag

Back