Servo 101-Servos for Dummies

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was replacing my Track Futaba Servo plastic gears back in the 90's. It was a thing. Guys would just replace Gear sets as part of maintenance, whether the gears were good or not. Servos were always a repairable, not disposable components. An inexpensive Futaba was $100. minimum back in the 90's. That is like a $400.00 servo these days. So they better be repairable. Quite expensive. Actually the gears were made of Nylon. Servos also needed to be very light for 1/10 track racing. Running only brushed motors and nicads back then.
Seems back then only the Very $large$ servos had metal gears.
I test my new servos on my Servo testor, then open up every single new servo that I buy, right out the box when new. Adding light grease where needed. A drop of oil on each BB etc.
Sometimes using Silicone Conformal coating to WP it better. ( my Crawler Servo's)

Last edited:
With my motor landing on the 16th and foams in Wednesday/Thursday, my speed build is finally coming to an end. The last 3 days have been spent looking into servos. I know I don't need high speeds or high torque(40kg is plently) I have been wondering which servo to use. It makes sense where others here say its stupid to rely on Amazon cheapies in an RC heavily invested into. I know mine will clear $2k easily so I want to offer it an added layer of protection/security. Having a cheapie fail mid run would suck. The one quality needed that fellow speed runners state is "centers and holds center well" has been my objective. Locally, the 40kg OMG has been suggested.View attachment 299409I just came back from my LHS where again the above servo was suggested.
It's $130 so just slightly above what I budgeted for a servo. I have no idea if this is generic or if generics are based on this but Amazon and AliExpress has a bunch of very similar looking ones $50-70 cheaper.View attachment 299411 The main nerd/tech guy at my LHS won't be back in until Monday and no one there today could really answer these next questions, so I'm hitting you guys up for some.View attachment 299410When it comes to specs, I get and understand the voltages, speeds, and torque. But this next group is Chinese to me. I assume neutral position is the centering aspect, but the next value and Russian looking word has me lost. And which one would show its "holding center" capability? Can anyone give a Cliff Notes on this and what kind of values I should be looking for? Thanks in advance and it might be a good idea to pin something to our electronics section. If already there, it's not coming up in searches.
I didn’t notice this at first (and you probably already bought a servo anyway) but that OMG servo is brushless and the Amazon one is digital Coreless, hence the large disparity in price.
And I know I’m a broken record, but…ProModeler DS630BLHV all the way, baby!
https://www.promodeler.com/DS630BLHV

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back