Shock oil weight

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnyc10306

Reaction score
Hey guys I need some help. I have a big rock converted to 4s with pro line shocks. When the car comes down from a wheelie I can hear it slap the ground hard. I filled the shocks with 80wt oil and cranked the springs almost all the way down and it still slaps the floor. I just ordered the spring kit but I feel it's not going to solve my issue. My question is, I need a heavier oil but it stopes at 80wt. I have dif fluid but thats WAY to thick. What do I do?

There are heavier weight shock oils out there. But I don’t think you should use them. Chassis slap is a good thing - you don’t want your shocks bearing the entire impact on their own.

Edit: I overlooked the “wheelie” part and thought you were talking about jumps. You shouldn’t see chassis slap from a simple wheelie.

Last edited:
Please explain your idea of wheelie. If your chassis is slapping the ground just from a wheelie, then your shocks are useless. Exactly how heavy is your big rock with that 4s battery?

If converted to 4s with heavier motor and esc plus a 4s pack you are looking at too much weight for the stock 3s shocks. More than likely the Shock shafts will bend as you go through this process. Typhon 6s shocks are a solid upgrade and will handle the load. What esc and motor are you running? Drop test should tell the story. As said above you want to get full compression on landing where the chassis may touch the ground but not impact hard.

Op says he's using proline shocks. Evidently not much better than stock 3s shocks. Sounds like a cinder block on wheels.

We are all missing something here. I'm trying to imagine this and having a hard time. How can half the wait of the car from less than a 90 degree angle?
This sounds like a job for Scooby Doo.

Either the car is 23lbs or the shocks are set up wrong IMO, even at 23lbs he says he has them cranked all the way with 80wt....impossible. Can you post a pic or video of a drop?

Here are some pics. The shocks have 80wt oil. Too heavy? I didn't realize this. What do I do? I spent tons of money thinking I was doing good!?!?

20230508_113151.jpg

20230508_113229.jpg

20230508_115743.jpg

Here are some pics. The shocks have 80wt oil. Too heavy? I didn't realize this. What do I do? I spent tons of money thinking I was doing good!?!?

View attachment 298319

View attachment 298320
View attachment 298321
First off the truck looks great and thanks for posting pics. Only thing I can think off is a missing or wrong shock piston not giving you any résistance on compression. Again nice upgrades and I have never ever seen big roc tires that worn, great job!!

First off the truck looks great and thanks for posting pics. Only thing I can think off is a missing or wrong shock piston not giving you any résistance on compression. Again nice upgrades and I have never ever seen big roc tires that worn, great job!!
Thanks I built it myself and enjoyed every moment. Here's a pic of me getting started. If I put my hand flat under the front end and drop it, same as a wheelie it will hit my hand, not hard but it hits it. Outside on the concrete it's much worse when driving. It really slaps the floor. I'm going to try to capture this on video. Thanks...

20211218_190455.jpg

Oh btw yea im waiting till the tires completely tear to shreds just for fun purpose. I have a new set ready to go.

Ok I just took it out for a test drive. I took off the heatsink and double fan setup with the extra battery and now it doesn't bottom out. The extra weight of the 2 fans, heatsink and tiny 2s lipo was too much. Since I took a video I might as well post it anyway. No slap video lol... btw I realized a new problem. My motor was running way too hot. I guess I need a fan. Can you guys recommend the best fan upgrade that will plug into the esc. Size don't matter because im mounting it without the heatsink.

Hey guys I need some help. I have a big rock converted to 4s with pro line shocks. When the car comes down from a wheelie I can hear it slap the ground hard. I filled the shocks with 80wt oil and cranked the springs almost all the way down and it still slaps the floor. I just ordered the spring kit but I feel it's not going to solve my issue. My question is, I need a heavier oil but it stopes at 80wt. I have dif fluid but thats WAY to thick. What do I do?
Need firmer springs. The thicker oil was not the way to go... first at least. The springs..... Better invest in a set of those matching $PL Shock Spring sets$. Might have better luck. Trial and error. Once you had to crank down all that preload with no results. that was a sign right there. Some Chassis slap is normal like when landing some big air, just not normal simply when dropping the nose from a wheelie.
Also can try "laying down" the front shocks more if possible at the shock tower. Then readjust your Shock Droop. Skip that part if its too hard to do on the 4x4.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back