Limitless Speed run timing question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badmofreaker

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
I am running an xlx 2 with castle 1100kv sensored motor and was wondering what is the most timing that anyone with this combo has safely run. I'm at 10 degrees now.

Timing depends on your motor & gearing setup. To give you more insight, setting high timing is similar to negative gearing and setting low timing is similar to as positive gearing. If you choose to set a negative gear on your mechanical setup (motor and gearing) it is suggested to use low timing, and vice versa.

To answer your question of what most timing anyone is using is quite broad/general because different driver different settings. Think of this way, you and a friend drives exactly identical car as in totally same 100%, say honda civic car. Now you both can achieve the same speed or most of the time one will be faster. Why? because u r not him nor he is not you. One is fearless in pushing the car to 180kph while the other holds back at 160kph.

Adjust your timing base on what feels good to you, start with low if u have tall gear, start normal if you have short gearing. Goodluck and keep testing :)

Timing depends on your motor & gearing setup. To give you more insight, setting high timing is similar to negative gearing and setting low timing is similar to as positive gearing. If you choose to set a negative gear on your mechanical setup (motor and gearing) it is suggested to use low timing, and vice versa.

To answer your question of what most timing anyone is using is quite broad/general because different driver different settings. Think of this way, you and a friend drives exactly identical car as in totally same 100%, say honda civic car. Now you both can achieve the same speed or most of the time one will be faster. Why? because u r not him nor he is not you. One is fearless in pushing the car to 180kph while the other holds back at 160kph.

Adjust your timing base on what feels good to you, start with low if u have tall gear, start normal if you have short gearing. Goodluck and keep testng

Adjust your timing base on what feels good to you, start with low if u have tall gear, start normal if you have short gearing. Goodluck and keep testing :)
I am running a lot of gearing but last weekend it was hot and smoked 2 batteries but pushed out 20hp at 583amps ,but ran slow. I am going to drop the gearing but was curious if its safe to run 15 or 20 degrees timing, this is a new motor and never ran sensored before, but this 1100 is so easy to drive and control. The 1450 tp I had in it before you keep breaking loose causing me to wreck, was breaking the diff out drives ,etc.

With positive and negative gear you mean like a tooth more and less?

The XLX2 does dynamic timing. What you set is only the minimum. I'd keep D winds on 0deg and Y on 10deg and let the dynamic timing do its job. If it works as it claims you should not see much of increase in topspeed, only heat.

The XLX2 does dynamic timing. What you set is only the minimum. I'd keep D winds on 0deg and Y on 10deg and let the dynamic timing do its job. If it works as it claims you should not see much of increase in topspeed, only heat.
K thanks

I am running a lot of gearing but last weekend it was hot and smoked 2 batteries but pushed out 20hp at 583amps ,but ran slow. I am going to drop the gearing but was curious if its safe to run 15 or 20 degrees timing, this is a new motor and never ran sensored before, but this 1100 is so easy to drive and control. The 1450 tp I had in it before you keep breaking loose causing me to wreck, was breaking the diff out drives ,etc.
That is the effect of timing, I did an experiment on it before using CC 1515, so its not that painful smoking it. Whenever you start with a new motor or new car I strongly suggest to start with the lowest timing (0). Do 1 full run and then monitor your esc and motor temp. From there slowly increase your timing until you stop gaining speed OR UNTIL you can not hold your motor for 1-2 seconds anymore (means you have to go back to your previous timing)

With CC esc you can put custom timing which means you can adjust by 1 or 2 timing doesn't need to be +5 all the time.

Positive gearing means Pinion is smaller than Spur, and negative means Pinion is bigger than Spur.

Please also consider your motor, if you constantly overheat(high temp) it. Those magnets will degrade over time meaning you'll notice slow decrease on performance. Anyway goodluck its all about trial and error.

Positive gearing means Pinion is smaller than Spur, and negative means Pinion is bigger than Spur.

I think there are more variables than that if you would consider changing your timing. A low kv, Y wind, big can like the castle 2028 would in speedrun usage always run negative and still prefers some extra timing.
Also diff ratio and wheel size adds to the equation. So you always got to look at the drivetrain as a whole

I think there are more variables than that if you would consider changing your timing. A low kv, Y wind, big can like the castle 2028 would in speedrun usage always run negative and still prefers some extra timing.
Also diff ratio and wheel size adds to the equation. So you always got to look at the drivetrain as a whole
K,I'm running 10 degrees timing, bsr double pink, infraction v2 gears or 2.8 ratio. It's on 28,46 gearing, which has been fine but now it's in the 90,s the batteries don't like it, charging now and another is bad and only on 2 runs,used to get 3. I guess I will leave the timing at 10 and get some bigger batteries, the chnl 4s 5200 probably isn't enough,but it's what I get from my local hobby store

Yeah, I'd say 6Ah are indeed the minimum for such a big motor
Yeah,2 runs last week and both batteries leaked acid,they hit 140 degrees on 2nd pass ,and now another one says too low of Voltage and won't charge,all from outside temps of 10 degrees hotter but first run the esc and motor is between 110 and 115,the second pass after 15 min break is 130 on both

Always smart to study the datalogs. When voltage sag & ripple get high and your amp draw goes flat at a peak, your batteries are the bottleneck.

9 of 10 times one cell goes bad. You can probably 'fix' the cell by charging only that cell using Ncd charging setting. Resistance of that cell will be permanently high as of now. Any high amp peak will make it go bad again, but for bashing it probably still serves fine.
But yeah, if it's really puffy and even leaks, it's game over for the battery. If those temps are Farenheit they are only just high, not shocking...

Always smart to study the datalogs. When voltage sag & ripple get high and your amp draw goes flat at a peak, your batteries are the bottleneck.

9 of 10 times one cell goes bad. You can probably 'fix' the cell by charging only that cell using Ncd charging setting. Resistance of that cell will be permanently high as of now. Any high amp peak will make it go bad again, but for bashing it probably still serves fine.
But yeah, if it's really puffy and even leaks, it's game over for the battery. If those temps are Farenheit they are only just high, not shocking...
South FL temps,it gets hot. Just sucks that I ran the same gears with no issues and now they are not enough. The ripple was 1.01,motor temp 123 and esc temp 133,I guess I'm not running this today, I had 4 batteries that were 7 weeks old and down to one now,lol. I will run my stretched typhon and my granite.

I don't know at what limit castle motor thermal protection kicks in (i don't use a castle motor with temp-port) and where it measures inside. But with my temp gun I don't get scared of can temperatures below 180F. Also you batteries like to be above 100F before they run optimal.
Just saying, you aren't experiencing extreme temps. Doesn't sound like the cause to me.

Your ripple is not extreme, I am actually more interested in your peak amp draw and if it's occurs close to max rpm. Is it 200, 300 or 400 amps?

Also just squeezing the throttle could also result in an early & extreme amp draw peak that hurts you batteries. A nice 5sec linear throttle input will stress the system much less.

I don't know at what limit castle motor thermal protection kicks in (i don't use a castle motor with temp-port) and where it measures inside. But with my temp gun I don't get scared of can temperatures below 180F. Also you batteries like to be above 100F before they run optimal.
Just saying, you aren't experiencing extreme temps. Doesn't sound like the cause to me.

Your ripple is not extreme, I am actually more interested in your peak amp draw and if it's occurs close to max rpm. Is it 200, 300 or 400 amps?

Also just squeezing the throttle could also result in an early & extreme amp draw peak that hurts you batteries. A nice 5sec linear throttle input will stress the system much less.
I do have to come up on the throttle a little quicker but it doesn't seem any faster than all the runs I see on you tube. The road is a little shorter but good enough,that's why I went to an 1100 so I wouldn't need to wind up so much,,it's around 35000 rpms,fastest I got so far is 144,but with my setup it should be 150 something .

Castle motors are y-wind and like to stick with the default 10 degrees timing.
Like @rotauq mentioned it is dynamic and will adjust it self. You could always do 2 runs with the same setup and compare motor temps.
I noticed a significant loss of speed at 0 degrees timing setting. 10 seems to always work best for me.

That XLX2 is known for killing anything but the best batteries when you are pushing over 500 amps.

Castle motors are y-wind and like to stick with the default 10 degrees timing.
Like @rotauq mentioned it is dynamic and will adjust it self. You could always do 2 runs with the same setup and compare motor temps.
I noticed a significant loss of speed at 0 degrees timing setting. 10 seems to always work best for me.

That XLX2 is known for killing anything but the best batteries when you are pushing over 500 amps.
Going to try some 9500 mah batteries and gear the spool up a little bit and try it again

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back