Spektrum fail safe nightmares ! SOS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

handzace

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
  2. Felony
  3. Limitless
  4. Kraton 6s
  5. Kraton EXB
  6. Talion EXB
  7. Typhon 3s
  8. Typhon 6s
  9. Typhon Mega
  10. Vendetta
  11. Infraction 4x4
Hey RC Pham!, So go back into the Hobby strong about a year and a half ago have a quired about 25 rigs plus a few custom builds so far 90% are armor now here’s my dilemma I know spektrum receivers have the failsafe and you do it while binding I’ve actually run out of range and battery on a few different rigs on a few different occasions, and the car just rolled to a stop or if I used for break while binding came to a an abrupt stop upon loss of signal or did whatever u programmed the failsafe to do So I know at works! So couple weeks ago I am tuning one of my arrma infraction GT builds and accidentally turned the remote off first, and as you know, that little fiddlesticker took off like a rocket! But much to my surprise, because like I said, I have lost signal before and or battery my transmitter died, and my rigs came to a stop, so I chalked it up to a fluke that weekend I decide to take three of my rigs out speed running get some new pbs and tried out a DX5c I got on a trade and I’m used to my modded DX 5C rugged which has much more range than just a regular DX5c anyway I went out of range and with a different rig and full throttle took off into the sunset, found it about a half a mile down the road and it slid full throttle. Now I’ve checked all my rigs, and cannot get the failsafe to work!!what the hell is going on!?!?!? like I said I know for a fact the failsafe has worked on different occasions on different rigs in the past and I pretty much use one of my rigs every day and all of a sudden I’m having this issue?? Please if anybody has any insight help I’ve already ordered the piggyback dynamite failsafe and I generic to see the difference in quality. I’m ready to outfit all my rigs with them! Any knowledge on this subject would be greatly appreciate it. Thank you very much.

Last edited:
Spektrum sucks. DX5C, RC6GS and NB4, here, I invested much into all, already. Across many differnt models.
The Failsafe needs to be confirmed once in a while. Spektrum stuff can be tempemental. And Not all that. Runaways suck. And are dangerous to others and even traffic, depending.
I would rebind all, then Do another Thr. Calibration. Wil need to readjust your ST endpoints too or confirm ist ok. Test on the bench with the wheels off, by turning off the radio first, to make sure, it either Brakes, Goes neutral, and or Steers L or R. How you want. Use the manual for reference so you don't miss any steps. I like my Failsafe to Hard brake and/or turn Left if I can. Works for me. Brake is best at a minimum. Manydo by default. How Most of my other radios are set.
Good luck .
I had runaways before during a signal loss. Thats why I like long range radios best. Not just for Speed running. And Spektrums don't cut it for me. Not a fan.

Spektrum sucks. DX5C, RC6GS and NB4, here, I invested much into all, already. Across many differnt models.
The Failsafe needs to be confirmed once in a while. Spektrum stuff can be tempemental. And Not all that. Runaways suck. And are dangerous to others and even traffic, depending.
I would rebind all, then Do another Thr. Calibration. Wil need to readjust your ST endpoints too or confirm ist ok. Test on the bench with the wheels off, by turning off the radio first, to make sure, it either Brakes, Goes neutral, and or Steers L or R. How you want. Use the manual for reference so you don't miss any steps. I like my Failsafe to Hard brake and/or turn Left if I can. Works for me. Brake is best at a minimum. Manydo by default. How Most of my other radios are set.
Good luck .
I had runaways before during a signal loss. Thats why I like long range radios best. Not just for Speed running. And Spektrums don't cut it for me. Not a fan.
Thanks for the info Brother I’m looking into new tx’s , I recently got back into the hobby, a year and a half ago and walked out of the hobby store with the DX 5C rugged. It’s not a bad receiver but range sucks I’m actually really digging the radio link RC8 at that price point it’s got all the bells and whistles of the Sanwa ,flyski and Futaba and u can get 2 receivers with Gyro if you wanted to for $35 with dual antenna ! Way cheaper than spektrum. And honestly I only like the heading hold feature on spektrum avc for speed running as it’s only my second season I usually have the avc all the way turned down or at a very minimum if I didn’t program my tx and esc properly yet it helps out but honestly I can do without it ….thank again brother

RC8 all the way, wallet permitting. (y) I am tired of getting $raped$ on Spektrum Rx's myself. The radio is not worth all that investment.
$100.00 for an AVC Telem. Rx is ludicrous. Like Spektrum is trying to be a Futaba or something. At least Futaba is worth what you pay for. Performs.
Spekt. AVC sucks IMHO. I rather use a Standalone SkyRC Gyro. Most gyros have "Heading hold". This is not some fancy feature that Only Spektrum offers. I have 2 of SkyRc GC-401's. I don't necessarily like Gyros in all my hard bashers.

Good luck .
Yeah, runaway is definitely suck. I had two of them now one when I was tuning one of my speed runners and another during a speed run! Luckily it was a half a mile down the road on its lid full throttle didn’t hit anything or anybody and I’ve tried to re-bind and redo the failsafe and I’ve watched every tutorial and read every piece of literature on how to do it and I cannot get it to work. I do not understand and I’m talking I have 25+ rigs, I’ve tried 10 different rigs. I’ve tried different receivers in different rigs. I’ve tried new receivers. I tried my regular DX5c as well as my go to modded rugged and no matter what the best I can get is full reverse. I poop you not no matter what I do so unless somebody has a different set of steps that I haven’t heard of or seen or tried please help because moving forward I’m getting a new transmitter but right now it’s 90 percent spektrum rxs in my 25+Riggs smh hopefully someone in this brilliant community and straighten my ass out because I can’t get it to work and it’s honestly driving me nuts I pride myself on being a fairly intelligent person and I’m a mechanic by trade so I’m mechanically inclined I mean hopefully I’m doing something so stupid I’m just overlooking it in my frustration so anyone that comes across this post and knows how to get this done. Please let me know. I appreciate you in advance.thanx for reading my rant/whine lol… Bash on brothers!

Referring to page 10 of the DX5C manual, Failsafe is set to Brake by default, and only configured during the "Bind" process. Trigger needs to remain un- moved during this process.
Wow I am stumped myself. You covered all the bases.
Could be just how you are doing the Bind process? :unsure:
Have you considered updating the firmware ( Spektrums' Raceware) on both the Rx and Tx? 11ms Frame rate should always be the selection when shown during Pairing, if it allows.
That woud be my next step. Need to "Register" your DX5C while plugged into your PC at the Spektrum website to do this. Need the Spektrum Adapter cable to do this. Updating the Rx and Tx has solved some Binding issues for me before. Update the Rx separately, the same way, using the PC USB adapter.
Unfortunately this may also affect and erase all the Bind Identifiers with all the Models already bound with your radio. Sometimes needing to rebind all your models. My DX5C drives me crazy in this regard.

Question. Are you running the later model DX5C ( Smart) labeled with Logo, as a Smart Radio near the Screen?

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back