Big Rock Steering Block C-Hub Clearance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaladeth

Very Active Member
Lifetime Premium!
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Limitless
I tried out some aluminum replacements for the steering block and C hub on my BR 3S. What’s an acceptable clearance between the block and the hub at the part where the screw comes in?

* The stock parts have close to 0.
* The aluminum steering block with the stock hub is 0.2 mm… seems to be okay after the two flanged tubes bring it close to 0.
* The aluminum parts together go up to 0.5 mm, feels like too much.

Do you guys put a shim in this case? Or should I get an aluminum part with tighter tolerances?

I switched back to the stock hubs for now, it feels like it drives better.

PS. Is “slop” another / a better word to use than “clearance”?

IMG_0281.jpeg

IMG_0282.jpeg

IMG_0289.jpeg

IMG_0283.jpeg

IMG_0286.jpeg

IMG_0287.jpeg

IMG_0288.jpeg

I tried out some aluminum replacements for the steering block and C hub on my BR 3S. What’s an acceptable clearance between the block and the hub at the part where the screw comes in?

* The stock parts have close to 0.
* The aluminum steering block with the stock hub is 0.2 mm… seems to be okay after the two flanged tubes bring it close to 0.
* The aluminum parts together go up to 0.5 mm, feels like too much.

Do you guys put a shim in this case? Or should I get an aluminum part with tighter tolerances?

I switched back to the stock hubs for now, it feels like it drives better.

PS. Is “slop” another / a better word to use than “clearance”?

View attachment 334586

View attachment 334587

View attachment 334588

View attachment 334589

View attachment 334590

View attachment 334591

View attachment 334592

Yes you'll need to shim up some of that slop..

Just look for a kit of M3 ,M4 ,M5 stainless steel washers. They should give you enough selection to use.

1701276510808.png

$12 @ Amazon

Last edited:
You're not required to get rid of slop, however, it is recommended. Like you said you already experienced: the suspension/steering response will be more tight and predictable if you shim out all the slop and it will help increase durability.

Personally, i would be looking for soft metal shims or cheap plastic washers. I'd rather the shim/washer take more of the abuse and replace the cheap shim every so often than the expensive aluminum parts take the abuse, but that's just me. For sure i'd be looking for something to take up the space.

Yes, shims are often necessary. You can get a very cheap assortment on AliExpress for cheap. ID’s of 2.5 to 4mm in varying thicknesses. Bigger ones for bigger tolerances.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back