Strange behavior (maybe a warning?) with Skyrc D100

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spook

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
I just thought I would pass this experience on "just in case" maybe nothing to worry about but better safe than sorry with Lipo I guess.

I am still new to all of this and treating everything carefully, I have 2 x 50c 5000 mah batteries and they have had little use (maybe 3 runs). I always balance charge them, and storage charge them afterwards as I will be leaving for over a week minimum.

I connected a battery to my D100 charger and I always like to check the voltage of the cells before I start to see if everything looks normal. On this occasion I did this and had a really weird voltage, I forget exactly but far too high. I then checked the individual cells and the reading were allover the place, and I remember the 3rd cell reported over 8v. Obviously this couldn't be the case but I was initially very worried that I had a bad battery that was likely to explode...

Nothing obviously wrong with the connectors but I did check them all again and found I cold push the connection from the balance board to the charge in a little bit more (a really small amount, but it did move)

I then reconnected everything and got "normal" readings and charged the battery in a lipo bag keeping an eye on it.

I am surprised that a very slightly loose connection could cause this (if it did) I guess if I had tried to just charge the battery from the outset it would have failed to start (I hope) but what if the connection was good initially and then moved when it warmed up..... could this be dangerous? is this something to be super careful about ?

I'm not sure about the d100 but my powerhobby h200 has a safety feature that kills the charge when disconnect is detected. In the same sense it won't let u begin a charge with a disconnect either.

I think I've had one cell's voltage read as 2 cells combined on my charger, when the balance connector was filthy. Anyway, the charger won't start the charge process unless it has proper voltages present, and discharging (aka running them in your truck) wouldn't be affected either.

I just thought I would pass this experience on "just in case" maybe nothing to worry about but better safe than sorry with Lipo I guess.

I am still new to all of this and treating everything carefully, I have 2 x 50c 5000 mah batteries and they have had little use (maybe 3 runs). I always balance charge them, and storage charge them afterwards as I will be leaving for over a week minimum.

I connected a battery to my D100 charger and I always like to check the voltage of the cells before I start to see if everything looks normal. On this occasion I did this and had a really weird voltage, I forget exactly but far too high. I then checked the individual cells and the reading were allover the place, and I remember the 3rd cell reported over 8v. Obviously this couldn't be the case but I was initially very worried that I had a bad battery that was likely to explode...

Nothing obviously wrong with the connectors but I did check them all again and found I cold push the connection from the balance board to the charge in a little bit more (a really small amount, but it did move)

I then reconnected everything and got "normal" readings and charged the battery in a lipo bag keeping an eye on it.

I am surprised that a very slightly loose connection could cause this (if it did) I guess if I had tried to just charge the battery from the outset it would have failed to start (I hope) but what if the connection was good initially and then moved when it warmed up..... could this be dangerous? is this something to be super careful about ?
I have the D400 and have had a similar issue. Next time it happens I will check the balance leads. Thanks for the heads up ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back