Kraton Surprising weigh in

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadows

Very Active Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton EXB
  2. Senton 6s
Having a nice, rare weather day without precipitation for once, so I charged up the batteries for a run and decided to weigh my Kraton 6s. With two 5200mah 4s lipos loaded in. 8s. 21lbs! What have I done?! šŸ˜¬ It's fully M2C'd. Chassis, shock towers, hinge pin system, 1250kv 4092 Surpass motor, Max 6, HR aluminum bulkheads, hubs, steering and belted Powerhobby Defenders. Are anyone else's Kraton 6s this heavy?

Maybe I went too far.

20240227_145042.jpg

Having a nice, rare weather day without precipitation for once, so I charged up the batteries for a run and decided to weigh my Kraton 6s. With two 5200mah 4s lipos loaded in. 8s. 21lbs! What have I done?! šŸ˜¬ It's fully M2C'd. Chassis, shock towers, hinge pin system, 1250kv 4092 Surpass motor, Max 6, HR aluminum bulkheads, hubs, steering and belted Powerhobby Defenders. Are anyone else's Kraton 6s this heavy?

Maybe I went too far.

View attachment 351204
Dear lord you went and made it as heavy as a Kraton 1/5 scale.

Dear lord you went and made it as heavy as a Kraton 1/5 scale.
Yeah. I guess I did. Didn't mean to. That's what I get for getting influenced by RC influencers on YouTube. Dialing that down some with the newer builds. This Kraton was my first ARRMA. Currently trying to get a Senton 6s (V5 chassis) built from Typhon parts. Going slowly.

20240227_151747.jpg

20240227_151716.jpg

Light is right

Light is right
Yes. If I could go back in time for a redo, I'd carbon fiber everything except maybe chassis. Maybe just use the base back of the HR bulkheads, run backflip LP's and stay with the stock motor & ESC until failure.

It's really not bad. The majority of your weight gain is from the extra battery and larger motor.
Nothing to stress over fatty. :p

Really depends on how hard you plan to bash that thing. We talking sky high launches? Small dirt jumps and just zipping around in an open area? Concrete skate park launches? Should be completely fine in the small dirt open area jumps for sure, but if you do the sky high launches, and/or skate park well prepare to pancake that behomoth of a 6s lol.

Really depends on how hard you plan to bash that thing. We talking sky high launches? Small dirt jumps and just zipping around in an open area? Concrete skate park launches? Should be completely fine in the small dirt open area jumps for sure, but if you do the sky high launches, and/or skate park well prepare to pancake that behomoth of a 6s lol.
Lucky me, I only run them on a dirt/gravel road and grass. Occasionally a parking lot. Even then if it isn't freezing, no matter what motor I've tried oveheats. For a few runs the 8s in this 1250kv Surpass ran cooler than 6s, but not when it was near 70 degrees a few days ago. Got too hot. Running 18T pinion on stock 50T spur. Overheated with a Spektrum 1250kv. 1650kv Surpass 4092 got hot, but maybe not as hot on 8s. All tried in this same rig. Tried from 16T to 23T pinion with the larger than stock motors. Same results. Seems like everyone else's motors run at a happy 130 degrees while they jump em' sky high with constant screaming speed passes, while everything I do goes over 200 with light duty runs. Tires are heavy, but everything runs hot on stock ones too. Should've stayed mostly stock. I'm a muck up. Can't win. Feeling 'negative' lately. Bought aluminum clamp type fan mounts with included aluminum 40mm fans. They don't work. Nothing works for me. Bought Yamaha C3 scooter years ago, and very few miles with good battery it won't run. Something wrong in the electrical. It just shuts off anywhere. Fuel injected computer controlled. That's the problem. Nothing that gets governed by electronics works for me. I seem to kill all that stuff with bad energy or something. Max 6 only ran 4-5 times in another build glitches. Woked great in an overkill E-Maxx, but transferred to a Mojave suspension Kraton chassis....glitches. Nothing I have or buys works. Bummed out. No joy right now. Have powerhobby belted defender SCT tires and jconcepts body for my Typhon to Senton 6s build ordered. Seems like a waste of time and money. I should know better and know when to quit, sit, and cope in silent do nothing peace. Anyone else have bad luck, or regretted doing too many expensive influencer peddled upgrades? Need to stop paying attention to influencers who get products for free.

Lucky me, I only run them on a dirt/gravel road and grass. Occasionally a parking lot. Even then if it isn't freezing, no matter what motor I've tried oveheats. For a few runs the 8s in this 1250kv Surpass ran cooler than 6s, but not when it was near 70 degrees a few days ago. Got too hot. Running 18T pinion on stock 50T spur. Overheated with a Spektrum 1250kv. 1650kv Surpass 4092 got hot, but maybe not as hot on 8s. All tried in this same rig. Tried from 16T to 23T pinion with the larger than stock motors. Same results. Seems like everyone else's motors run at a happy 130 degrees while they jump em' sky high with constant screaming speed passes, while everything I do goes over 200 with light duty runs. Tires are heavy, but everything runs hot on stock ones too. Should've stayed mostly stock. I'm a muck up. Can't win. Feeling 'negative' lately. Bought aluminum clamp type fan mounts with included aluminum 40mm fans. They don't work. Nothing works for me. Bought Yamaha C3 scooter years ago, and very few miles with good battery it won't run. Something wrong in the electrical. It just shuts off anywhere. Fuel injected computer controlled. That's the problem. Nothing that gets governed by electronics works for me. I seem to kill all that stuff with bad energy or something. Max 6 only ran 4-5 times in another build glitches. Woked great in an overkill E-Maxx, but transferred to a Mojave suspension Kraton chassis....glitches. Nothing I have or buys works. Bummed out. No joy right now. Have powerhobby belted defender SCT tires and jconcepts body for my Typhon to Senton 6s build ordered. Seems like a waste of time and money. I should know better and know when to quit, sit, and cope in silent do nothing peace. Anyone else have bad luck, or regretted doing too many expensive influencer peddled upgrades? Need to stop paying attention to influencers who get products for free.
No motor ever will run cool when it is ran at full throttle all the time. They all need cool down time.
Do you apply the brakes often? That also takes power, hence heat.
Grass is a bad surface to run RC's in. It causes a lot of drag. Which results in high motor temps.
Is the car binding anywhere, or does it roll freely when the motor is disconnected?

If everything is checked and ok, i feel there are only two solutions: use a motor system that is rated for the weight your rig is carrying. That would mean a 1/5 motor and esc.
Or lose weight.
I had the same problem with my first Mojave.
I can either run it on the beach, on a mountain bike park with a lot of grass, a dirt road or a parking lot.
I destroyed the stock motor and a 1520 motor, running it on the beach and grass.
Overpowering the car with an MMX8S and a HW4985 motor solved my problems.

Maybe I went too far.

View attachment 351204
I suspect the belted tires are adding to the weight significantly but we have roughly the same build and Iā€™m weighing in at roughly 13.75 lbs with (2) 4s 5200mah packs ready to run.

My build thread for this one is here: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/1-8th-scale-8s-kraton-build.14363/

9E922BE5-2431-46E6-836A-B80B46CC5145.jpeg

E1FB9E71-FE5B-4B08-B8D7-FBB21C70BF2B.jpeg

1E7C54AD-09F1-4EC3-B6F3-A4E3A271F1AC.jpeg

Ditch belted tires, they are heavy as hell. Ditch 4092 and move up to either 4985 or 5687 motor between 1100 and 1250kv. The old Spektrum 1250kv was too small for the 8s rigs but should have been fine on your rig, except those belted tires if I had to guess. It's hard to overstate the effect the rotating mass has on a power system. If you insist on the belted tires you really need the 5687 motor. The new Outcast and Kraton 8s comes with 5687 motors and they are significantly more lively than their predecessors.

No motor ever will run cool when it is ran at full throttle all the time. They all need cool down time.
Do you apply the brakes often? That also takes power, hence heat.
Grass is a bad surface to run RC's in. It causes a lot of drag. Which results in high motor temps.
Is the car binding anywhere, or does it roll freely when the motor is disconnected?

If everything is checked and ok, i feel there are only two solutions: use a motor system that is rated for the weight your rig is carrying. That would mean a 1/5 motor and esc.
Or lose weight.
I had the same problem with my first Mojave.
I can either run it on the beach, on a mountain bike park with a lot of grass, a dirt road or a parking lot.
I destroyed the stock motor and a 1520 motor, running it on the beach and grass.
Overpowering the car with an MMX8S and a HW4985 motor solved my problems.
Thanks for the suggestions. The grass lot I run my RC's in is kept shorter than a golf course. No significant rolling resistance. Kept so short it easily dies every summer. To lose weight, I'd have to go back to plastic bulkheads, suspension blocks, stock motor and stock towers. Basically revert back to the V5 out the box. Should've never messed with what was likely good enough. Aluminum diff cups couldn't possibly add that much weight. I don't know. Even with stock tires it overheats, but I should put them back on anyway. It's an expensive learning experience, but like I said, it still overheats...even with Spektrum 4685 motor. I don't run them full throttle constantly. I give them cool breaks. Actually don't have the room to go full throttle. Should've gotten into true 1/10th scale because of that. Only RC I have that can go full throttle is a brushless TRX-4 geared really low. Built up heavy, but never overheats.

Ditch belted tires, they are heavy as hell. Ditch 4092 and move up to either 4985 or 5687 motor between 1100 and 1250kv. The old Spektrum 1250kv was too small for the 8s rigs but should have been fine on your rig, except those belted tires if I had to guess. It's hard to overstate the effect the rotating mass has on a power system. If you insist on the belted tires you really need the 5687 motor. The new Outcast and Kraton 8s comes with 5687 motors and they are significantly more lively than their predecessors.
Yeah, you're on to something with that. You're right. Seeing as it would take a 5687 to stay cool with the weight....it's best to ditch those belted full size MT tires and run the stockers until they're worn out. Then think about lower profile stuff. 1/8th diffs even the EXB I run in this one shouldn't be thrown any more weight or power like that. They have their limits...at least bearing size wise, let alone the teeth. I have two 1250kv Spektrum 4685's that both overheated, but are probably still salvageable. That with heatsink and 50mm aluminum fan laying around, I should try that combination again. I figure at this point, the money is already sunk in for the 'upgrades,' I may as well run the snot out of the thing like it is...sans the belted 1 pound a piece tires. I'll probably run the crap out of the 4092 a few more times to get my money's worth though.

"It's gonna get it now!" - Kevin Talbot

That red body is šŸ”„. šŸ¤˜
Yeah, those bodies he painted. Beautiful work. Here's my rattle can red for this same rig. I ruined it with shoe goo and flex spray crap.

Attachments

• 20221011_193031.jpg
    20221011_193031.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 20221011_192906.jpg
    20221011_192906.jpg
    222.9 KB · Views: 31
Wanted to weigh my Kraton 6s for a long time. Finally did it today. Total weight is 13.38 lbs.

Maybe I went too far.

View attachment 351204
Man that's how I want mine to look

Back