Traxxas Sledge odd noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FireDrake001

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon Mega
I’ve got a traxxas sledge and it making a weird noise from what I think may be the center diff. This is what the pinion gear looks like. Is this pinion gear the source of the noise?

image.jpg

Honestly, need some audio of the noise in a video. Best way.
But yeah, that pinion does look rather worn anyway, I would replace it just for that reason alone and evaluate for noise from that point. Your Tooth contact angle of the pinion is not matching well with the spur. Rather worn IMHO. Of course proper mesh matters in all cases. Mesh that is all too loose can also cause undue wear on pinions.
I like my mesh on the tighter side, with just the slightest Tick of backlash..
Look to Tekno pinions when you do shop for one.
A properly meshed spur and pinion has a sound you get used to hearing. I can hear when my mesh is wrong or the gears are worn. They get clackity. Tighter mesh is more like a hum. The sound is always unique to the rig in hand. You should get used to hearing that.

:cool:

Last edited:
Time Travel GIF

I know exactly what that is. It a bad flux capacitor. Refer to the manual.

Honestly, need some audio of the noise in a video. Best way.
But yeah, that pinion does look rather worn anyway, I would replace it just for that reason alone and evaluate for noise from that point. Your Tooth contact angle of the pinion is not matching well with the spur. Rather worn IMHO. Of course proper mesh matters in all cases. Mesh that is all too loose can also cause undue wear on pinions.
I like my mesh on the tighter side, with just the slightest Tick of backlash..
Look to Tekno pinions when you do shop for one.
A properly meshed spur and pinion has a sound you get used to hearing. I can hear when my mesh is wrong or the gears are worn. They get clackity. Tighter mesh is more like a hum. The sound is always unique to the rig in hand. You should get used to hearing that.

:cool:
I was messing with meshing to see if it was too loose and that is why. It isn’t the meshing as it was set well. It may be the center diff too. Isn’t the rear diff more likely to blow before a center?

I was messing with meshing to see if it was too loose and that is why. It isn’t the meshing as it was set well. It may be the center diff too. Isn’t the rear diff more likely to blow before a center?
It’s wear n tear, it happens….

Yes front or rear diffs usually go before the CD. BUT, a spur gear is a wear n tear item. When the diffs go, you will know.

I own a Kraton and a Sledge and I run Tekno pinions on both of them. Tekno pinion gears are precision cut and just run smoother. Spur and pinion gears wear together so you should probably replace them both at the same time.

I just want to add, I just swapped my Sledge over to a machine cut gear set, front/center/rear and the truck runs a lot smoother. I've had no durability issues either.

I own a Kraton and a Sledge and I run Tekno pinions on both of them. Tekno pinion gears are precision cut and just run smoother. Spur and pinion gears wear together so you should probably replace them both at the same time.
+1
Always Replace both, if the Spur is also tore up well enough. Look closely at the spur.
Also the smaller the pinion gear, I find they normaly wear faster in general.
If you never checked the mesh when it was new out the box, that could definitely also be one reason for premature pinion wear.
Tekno pinions, don't look back.
Saga Customs are also great.

+1
Always Replace both, if the Spur is also tore up well enough. Look closely at the spur.
Also the smaller the pinion gear, I find they normaly wear faster in general.
If you never checked the mesh when it was new out the box, that could definitely also be one reason for premature pinion wear.
Tekno pinions, don't look back.
Saga Customs are also great.
Thank you all for your input! I got a new hardened steel 13 tooth pinionbgear and it is totally acting normal now. That pinion was dead though. The front and rear as wel as the middle spur are all tough vitavon hardened steel so they were all good thank goodness.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back