Typhon Typhon 3s Initial Impression

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mboss

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Nero
Finally got a chance to get my Typhon out after having to look at for 5 days. This is my third Arrma (Kraton and Nero) First run bone stock on 3s/50c....I was expecting a bit more power. Keep in mind this is my first 3s (have 6s and 4s rigs). But based on the videos of the senton I was thinking it would be quicker out the whole...top speed wasn't bad...but took awhile to get there. Fortunately, I planned ahead and bought the optional 20t pinion (not sure why Typhon comes with 15t when senton 3s has 20t).

After installing the 20t I also decided to turn up the esc punch setting. After these adjustments....the car came to life! This thing is fast nimble and a joy to ride...make sure you have lots of space....the car pulls strong for a LONG time before finally reaching top speed. The only downside was the car went so fast I blew the rear tire off. Fortunately, I have duratrax six pack buggy wheels...was back in action no time. Also, weather was in low 60s and motor got a little hot for my liking 160 (going to install fan on heatsink). In short this is a steal for $300....and a welcomed addition to my stable. I plan to keep this on the street (nero and kraton can handle offroad better dur to size and weight).
20181229_103437.jpg

Out of the whole it was lagging with the 15t, I would think with the 20t it would be a bit slower out the whole, with more top end. I understand you also bummed up the punch setting.

Very nice review and suggestions to get the fun pumped up! I ordered an 18t pinion for my BRCC but didnt think to bang the punch setting up. Once the pinion is installed, I think I will now that you mentioned it.
Too bad about the blow-out. I thought I might try those 3s tires and wheels on my 6s Typhon but doesn't appear they'll do me right after all.

I never understood how the mech can be set with this HR plate, but do share your finding.
BTW, i found that after few packs the stock mesh is getting better, i guess the plastic spur is getting chipped or something, and getting adjusted to the mesh.

Thanks for sharing your impression @Mboss, I think it uses the 15t and not the 20t since the wheel size is closer to the Granite than the Senton, But i agree 15t might be too small, Arrma should had a different part for the motor mount for this car with something like 17t-18t

I never understood how the mech can be set with this HR plate, but do share your finding.
BTW, i found that after few packs the stock mesh is getting better, i guess the plastic spur is getting chipped or something, and getting adjusted to the mesh.
Makes sense that the plastic spur is getting worn in and easing in for better comfort. This is great and honestly have no probs with my stock setup other than wanting to try a pinion that isn't pre-marked.
The HR motor mount / plate can allow for mesh to be set by the end user by tightening along the slots. Same way we can use unique or alternate pinions that aren't directed by hole positions.

Yeah but with the cover open, the spur wouldnt be supported, so how can you set the mesh for it?
Appears it's covered. Interesting. I was kinda going from the advice of others I've seen but nothing up close yet. I'll see as I go along, I reckon. It only replaces the first piece in the exploded view of part #AR310874
I could be wrong though. Not in my hand yet.

nice!! air it out!! go Crimson btw...
Thats not me, Dutch. Im sure you know that. lol.
I'm just hoping to get set up to either learn to jump or go broke on spares.o_O The BRCC is light enough, longer and with the help of these great guys at YT and on this forum, I'm somehow able to justify a training truck.
I need to be able to have air control but I know it's gonna take some time and breaks. The Arrma 3s 4x4 BLX line is ripe for the tweaking imo and they take it.

lol.. yeah i know.....shut up man...I know you get down on the air... not a Crimson football fan?

Thats funy!!..... I don't even give a poop about college FB...Im from FL but spent all of Katrina doing hurricane cleanup in NO...Its one of my fav cities ever...I love that place..Its so special!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back