Granite Upgrading the V2 slipper to V3 in a Granite

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spook

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hi,

I bought a V2 Granite (the orange one) a couple of years ago and a little while after following advice on this forum bought various parts, including some parts to change the (V2) Slipper to the newer V3 version to stop the slipper coming loose. Amazingly I didn’t have that problem so just left it.

However, I am now experiencing the slipper coming loose immediately and want to carry out the change, but try as I might I cannot find the details on what / how I need to change it.

I am sure when I bought the parts a couple of years ago I watched a really good YouTube video that showed everything I needed but I cannot find it, and even details between the differences are now thin on the ground in the YouTube world (Or it could be my searches)

I haven’t done a lot of work on the Grantite so want to make sure I do it correctly, can anyone point me in the direction of some info / guides or even the illusive YouTube video I can use to do this work please ?

Many Thanks

Your best bet is to carefully disassemble your old unit to discover where the issue really is. More than likely your plastic and metal plates are looking pretty rough.. meaning damage from heat which more than likely roached the spring which pre-loads the center diff, especially if the pre-load was never checked new. Pull it apart keeping everything in order and post a pic? Arrma says 3/4 turn from bottomed out is the correct pre load, but depending on your driving, i'd go about a half to 1/3 turn. Anyway, if it turns out the center diff is burnt out, get the 4s center diff but please don't run it too loose, 1/2 turn is great.

Hi,

I bought a V2 Granite (the orange one) a couple of years ago and a little while after following advice on this forum bought various parts, including some parts to change the (V2) Slipper to the newer V3 version to stop the slipper coming loose. Amazingly I didn’t have that problem so just left it.

However, I am now experiencing the slipper coming loose immediately and want to carry out the change, but try as I might I cannot find the details on what / how I need to change it.

I am sure when I bought the parts a couple of years ago I watched a really good YouTube video that showed everything I needed but I cannot find it, and even details between the differences are now thin on the ground in the YouTube world (Or it could be my searches)

I haven’t done a lot of work on the Grantite so want to make sure I do it correctly, can anyone point me in the direction of some info / guides or even the illusive YouTube video I can use to do this work please ?

Many Thanks
Mega or 3S version? Unless I'm missing something somewhere, all you should need is the slipper assembly that matches the truck you have, as in, mega slipper for mega trucks, and 3S slipper assembly for 3S trucks. When I did my 3S/mega hybrid build, the only thing I did was swap from the V1 mega slipper to the V3 mega slipper assembly. I didn't change anything else to make the slipper work. The newer one just dropped right into my existing power module with no issues.

Correction, you would only need the rear shorter input gear. Front would not need to be changed.
Guess you could cut down the current one as well just grind down or sand the rough edges.
On the Granite, the inputs are the same front and rear. The diffs are even swappable front to rear as a complete assembly. All of the mega, 3S and 4S trucks are that way. The only difference between the V1, and V2 and V3, the V1 mega had a different input and ring gear, but, the V2 and V3 mega, 3S and 4S trucks all use the same exact diff assembly front and rear, so, im not sure where you are getting that whole, having to make the rear input shorter idea from. This is the complete diff assembly, that includes the diff, input, and housing, for front or rear, on the mega, 3S and 4S trucks:
ara311156.jpg

https://www.amainhobbies.com/arrma-...CYsZxxMbrQTx4pUay73w8pIML_wfOlrBoCqtUQAvD_BwE

As for your slipper coming loose, it could actually be a couple things. Either the slipper pads are wore out, the nut is wore out, or the shaft itself is wore out to where the nut wont grab the threads tight enough.

EDIT: If you read through this build i did awhile back, you will see where pretty much every part on the V1, V2, and V3 Mega, 3S and 4S trucks are easily interchangeable, since this build used parts from the V1 Granite, V3 Senton, V3 Typhon, V3 Vorteks, and V2 BRCC: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/3s-mega-hybrid-build.48405/

The only thing that really matters in what needs to be fixed is whether or not you have the 3S or mega Granite, because the slipper and power module are different between the two. The mega slipper assembly only has 1 slipper pad, whereas the 3S and 4S have 3 slipper pads, and the spur is different, but, the 3S and 4S 32P spur will fit the mega slipper assembly. If yours is the mega, then get the mega slipper assembly, but, as noted by @Rottster , if you have the 3S truck, then replace the entire slipper assembly with the 4S steel one: https://jennysrc.com/collections/kr...ential-steel-57t-slipper-set-0-8mod-ara4408v2 or the 3S composite one: https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...ear-slipper-clutch-assembly-diff-57t-ar102711

Another option, if you have the mega truck, is to replace the entire slipper assembly with another mega one, but, use the 3S 32P spur. It will fit on the mega slipper assembly without any issues. Its what i did on both of my mega builds. The only thing im not sure of, but, someone else may have the answer to, is whether or not the 3S and 4S slipper assembly will fit in the mega power module, only because i never tried.

Last edited:
On the Granite, the inputs are the same front and rear. The diffs are even swappable front to rear as a complete assembly. All of the mega, 3S and 4S trucks are that way. The only difference between the V1, and V2 and V3, the V1 mega had a different input and ring gear, but, the V2 and V3 mega, 3S and 4S trucks all use the same exact diff assembly front and rear, so, im not sure where you are getting that whole, having to make the rear input shorter idea from. This is the complete diff assembly, that includes the diff, input, and housing, for front or rear, on the mega, 3S and 4S trucks:
View attachment 293297
https://www.amainhobbies.com/arrma-...CYsZxxMbrQTx4pUay73w8pIML_wfOlrBoCqtUQAvD_BwE

As for your slipper coming loose, it could actually be a couple things. Either the slipper pads are wore out, the nut is wore out, or the shaft itself is wore out to where the nut wont grab the threads tight enough.

EDIT: If you read through this build i did awhile back, you will see where pretty much every part on the V1, V2, and V3 Mega, 3S and 4S trucks are easily interchangeable, since this build used parts from the V1 Granite, V3 Senton, V3 Typhon, V3 Vorteks, and V2 BRCC: https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/3s-mega-hybrid-build.48405/

The only thing that really matters in what needs to be fixed is whether or not you have the 3S or mega Granite, because the slipper and power module are different between the two. The mega slipper assembly only has 1 slipper pad, whereas the 3S and 4S have 3 slipper pads, and the spur is different, but, the 3S and 4S 32P spur will fit the mega slipper assembly. If yours is the mega, then get the mega slipper assembly, but, as noted by @Rottster , if you have the 3S truck, then replace the entire slipper assembly with the 4S steel one: https://jennysrc.com/collections/kr...ential-steel-57t-slipper-set-0-8mod-ara4408v2 or the 3S composite one: https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...ear-slipper-clutch-assembly-diff-57t-ar102711

Another option, if you have the mega truck, is to replace the entire slipper assembly with another mega one, but, use the 3S 32P spur. It will fit on the mega slipper assembly without any issues. Its what i did on both of my mega builds. The only thing im not sure of, but, someone else may have the answer to, is whether or not the 3S and 4S slipper assembly will fit in the mega power module, only because i never tried.

They changed the lenght of the diff outputs in the V3 cars so if he has a V1 or V2 a V3 slipper won't fit without removing the black nut inside.

They changed the lenght of the diff outputs in the V3 cars so if he has a V1 or V2 a V3 slipper won't fit without removing the black nut inside.
Oh, OK. That i did not know, so, sorry for the bit of misinformation then. Makes me wonder then what diffs i actually ended up with on my mega/3S build, since, they were supposed to be 3S diffs and inputs, and they dropped right in mine, without removing anything, which, i know mine started as a V1 Granite initially, so, maybe the ones i got from Jenny's were V1 3S diffs and inputs, who knows.

Correct. The actual diff and yokes have not changed. Other than the gasket is now blue....probably due to some California EPA ruling on materials. The older slippers did not have the retaining nut. We had to clean it and drop in some loctite then cross you fingers.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back