What does it mean to run an ESC parallel?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Definitely. But I have yet to venture into the larger scale arena, and was thinking of a huge motor drawing much amps, enough where 2esc's could be reality.
The large 1/5 scale motors certainly so.
The TP4080 is about as much as the XLX2 can power when pushed to the max.

This means that we don't have an ESC powerful enough to push the 58mm can motors to their limits.
The only way to do that would be to go higher voltage. Pushing 600+ amps through the wires is just asking for issues.

There have been whispers of Castle coming out with a high voltage XLX3 esc one day but we have not seen it yet.

Definitely. But I have yet to venture into the larger scale arena, and was thinking of a huge motor drawing much amps, enough where 2esc's could be reality.
That’s an interesting concept.
The large 1/5 scale motors certainly so.
The TP4080 is about as much as the XLX2 can power when pushed to the max.

This means that we don't have an ESC powerful enough to push the 58mm can motors to their limits.
The only way to do that would be to go higher voltage. Pushing 600+ amps through the wires is just asking for issues.

There have been whispers of Castle coming out with a high voltage XLX3 esc one day but we have not seen it yet.
So @LibertyMKiii , is this a thing? Can two ESC’s be used in tandem to power one motor? Just because I’ve never heard of it doesn’t mean it’s not a thing, but it sure has my wheels turning.

That’s an interesting concept.

So @LibertyMKiii , is this a thing? Can two ESC’s be used in tandem to power one motor? Just because I’ve never heard of it doesn’t mean it’s not a thing, but it sure has my wheels turning.
Never heard of it being done on a RC car.

I think the problem is that if you have room for a 2nd ESC you likely also have room for a second motor. By running 2 motors each has 1/2 the load and just makes every part less stressed except the dog bones, diffs, and tires.

Never heard of it being done on a RC car.

I think the problem is that if you have room for a 2nd ESC you likely also have room for a second motor. By running 2 motors each has 1/2 the load and just makes every part less stressed except the dog bones, diffs, and tires.
Agreed.
@Reverendg , could you share your plans for this? I’m interested.

That’s a new one on me. Have you tried this, or known of others trying it?

I don’t believe that in a dual motor setup that either motors or ESC’s will self compensate to any extent.
Happens in any mechanical power system, dating back as far as the ox yoke.

Agreed.
@Reverendg , could you share your plans for this? I’m interested.
I have no plan for this, was just ideating on the possibility.
As someone else mentioned, the easiest way to look at the issue is to condense certain components.
For example, a single battery pack ( which in itself is multiple cells) and its esc, can be considered a variable power source. Making batteries into packs either series or parallel is easy, considering the esc as part of the battery makes the parallel and series issues much clearer.
Until one enters brushless territory, where the esc has much more to do.

Last edited:
I have never tried this but I am thinking this would never work unless the ESC's were designed from the ground up to be interconnected (and be able to communicate with each other). Since the ESC is also reading back EMF to determine the location of the rotor from the stator the two ESC's would likely fight each other until they blew up.. One ESC would need to handle the detection and command both ESC's to fire the coils at the same time.

In this application its probably just easier to size the ESC to the loads you are looking for. For applications where energy efficiency is key, modular systems can be really helpful but for us I think we just 🚀 for the🌜

I have never tried this but I am thinking this would never work unless the ESC's were designed from the ground up to be interconnected (and be able to communicate with each other). Since the ESC is also reading back EMF to determine the location of the rotor from the stator the two ESC's would likely fight each other until they blew up.. One ESC would need to handle the detection and command both ESC's to fire the coils at the same time.

In this application its probably just easier to size the ESC to the loads you are looking for. For applications where energy efficiency is key, modular systems can be really helpful but for us I think we just 🚀 for the🌜
That is what had my mind working overtime. It's easy in a brushed system, but in brushless it's a whole new ball game. That's why I wondered about y-harnessed sensors, lead lengths, etc...I figured somebody here may have tried to tackle this idea.

Last edited:
Back