Felony What pinion to run with a MM2 with 1515 motor?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeffvanuden

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi I have a momba monster 2 with a castle 1515 motor what size pinion is recommended to run with this set up

If it's a 6s truck you're putting it in I would start with a 12t or 13t. 2200kv kind of high for this application. I have one in a Notorious, there nice motors.

Kv of the motor is too high for the Felony imho. But start with 1-2 teeth below stock. I really wish Castle would make a 1600-1800kv option in that size.

If it's a 6s truck you're putting it in I would start with a 12t or 13t. 2200kv kind of high for this application. I have one in a Notorious, there nice motors.
+!

@Jeffvanuden , you never stated What model you have at all. Yes this matters greatly. Many variables are involved. Tire rollout, the final drive ratio, etc.
Buy several pinions to try.
Can't be cheap about this.
12-13T is where to start, and yet still an assumption, based on your rather high KV motor.
2200kv's can be rather steep, assuming for a heavy basher, running 6s packs.:rolleyes:
Motor fans are a given.
Govern yourself accordingly. :cool:

+!

@Jeffvanuden , you never stated What model you have at all. Yes this matters greatly. Many variables are involved. Tire rollout, the final drive ratio, etc.
Buy several pinions to try.
Can't be cheap about this.
12-13T is where to start, and yet still an assumption, based on your rather high KV motor.
2200kv's can be rather steep, assuming for a heavy basher, running 6s packs.:rolleyes:
Motor fans are a given.
Govern yourself accordingly. :cool:

🤔

It's in the felony

15/46 is the minimum the motor mount will allow, unless you go with a 50T spur.

Felony... That changes things for sure.
Your Stock Spur is a 46. So your pinion should be no more than the optional Speed pinion. Does your manual include all that info there and the Speed gear.
I run a HW sensored XR8 Plus 2200kv combo in my V1 Lim. 28T/46T gets me around 98mph, before I run out of space. It has longer legs however. I only speed run with this setup. Cool downs between passes. ESC Punch/torque level is all the way down for speed passes. Timing is also lower than the default. Always. No bashing or drifting. It will run way too hot with that motor.
How fast do you think it would be with like 16/46
16T pinion is the standard installed pinion. 27T is the Speed pinion. Start from there.
Need like a 27T for top speed. Maybe I am off by a few teeth. It's trial and error. Just watch your temps with a Temp Gun. Get one if you don't have one already. Good fans are a given. 2200kv will run on the hotter side. Only a GPS analyzer will confirm your actual speeds. An RC Gear Calculator will help to choose your Pinion and aprox speed. A conservative aproximation at best. Check your radio's range first. The stocker radio may not have the best range. Then you are looking at some $carnage$, when you lose control at 90+MPH. Food for thought. Been there.

Last edited:
Felony... That changes things for sure.
Your Stock Spur is a 46. So your pinion should be no more than the optional Speed pinion. Does your manual include all that info there and the Speed gear.
I run a HW sensored XR8 Plus 2200kv combo in my V1 Lim. 28T/46T gets me around 98mph, before I run out of space. It has longer legs however. I only speed run with this setup. Cool downs between passes. ESC Punch/torque level is all the way down for speed passes. Timing is also lower than the default. Always. No bashing or drifting. It will run way too hot with that motor.

16T pinion is the standard installed pinion. 27T is the Speed pinion. Start from there.
Need like a 27T for top speed. Maybe I am off by a few teeth. It's trial and error. Just watch your temps with a Temp Gun. Get one if you don't have one already. Good fans are a given. 2200kv will run on the hotter side. Only a GPS analyzer will confirm your actual speeds. An RC Gear Calculator will help to choose your Pinion and aprox speed. A conservative aproximation at best. Check your radio's range first. The stocker radio may not have the best range. Then you are looking at some $carnage$, when you lose control at 90+MPH. Food for thought. Been there.
So you say turn the punch all the way down do you mean zero or 100

So you say turn the punch all the way down do you mean zero or 100
Turn the punch to 0 or disabled and the sensorless motor timing down to lowest 0 on the MM2.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back