Typhon 4s with higher pinion vs 6s with lower pinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mosen

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I have a Senton 6s and 2 Typhon 6s which i also converted to a Senton 6s. To save on the cost of blowing tires; i run 4s on all 3. They all have a Max 6 with 2200kv motors and i’m running 22T pinions with fans. Performance is great; plenty of speed and power.

I installed the stock Typhon 6s Spektrum 6s 150A/2050kv combo in a Traxxas Maxx and put a 24T pinion; close to shock gearing suggestions…….but it fried my ESC on 4s!

So i’m now wondering; am i risking damaging my ESC’s by running 4s geared high ?

Plz advise! Trying to figure this one out!
Thanks!!

It is easier on the ESC to run higher voltage and lower amperage.
What you are doing right now is lower voltage higher amperage.

Volts * Amps = watts.

Ultimately it takes watts to make the car go a certain speed. You are also reducing the torque by using the larger pinon gear so it makes the motor work harder.

I have a Senton 6s and 2 Typhon 6s which i also converted to a Senton 6s. To save on the cost of blowing tires; i run 4s on all 3. They all have a Max 6 with 2200kv motors and i’m running 22T pinions with fans. Performance is great; plenty of speed and power.

I installed the stock Typhon 6s Spektrum 6s 150A/2050kv combo in a Traxxas Maxx and put a 24T pinion; close to shock gearing suggestions…….but it fried my ESC on 4s!

So i’m now wondering; am i risking damaging my ESC’s by running 4s geared high ?

Plz advise! Trying to figure this one out!
Thanks!!
I would chalk this up to the 150 amp spektrum shipping at 22 degrees of timing unless you changed that setting. Generally now I turn down the timing on the 6s arrmas to the 10 degree or 11 or whatever. If you're gonna gear up a lot you need a bit more low end torque to compensate and the 22 degree timing isn't gonna help with that.

Do u guys suggest i invest in higher KV motors then ? Like 2400-2600kv so gearing can be optimised for 4s and the lower kv motor wont have to work double hard ?
Thank u!

You’re not going to utilize the full kv unless you run the motor with its designed max voltage for power AND efficiency. You’re blowing tires on 6S because they’re not glued properly or cheap. My typhon will go 65+ mph on road and not blow tires off road spinning, might want to up your diff fluid thickness if you’re on low grip surfaces or ripping donuts.

You’re not going to utilize the full kv unless you run the motor with its designed max voltage for power AND efficiency. You’re blowing tires on 6S because they’re not glued properly or cheap. My typhon will go 65+ mph on road and not blow tires off road spinning, might want to up your diff fluid thickness if you’re on low grip surfaces or ripping donuts.
On the one i kept on 6s, i use Typhon Katars and they do great!
On the others i have multiple Proline short course and even the stock Senton 6s tires. But i prefer the convenience and weight of a single 4s pack honestly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back