Which pinion gear?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaximumBash

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 6s
Ok I need some input. I have the Keaton 6s running with stock motor on the Max6 ESC. Currently using the 14T pinion. Should I be using something different for general car usage. Running on a little grass a little street and some dirt here and there mainly street though. Wouldn’t mind going a bit faster if possible.

You posted in the 8s Section.
You have a 1/8 K6s or a 1/5 K8s??????? Which are we talking about?:unsure:
With that Max6, are you running 8s Batteries or 6s ones with that stocker 2050kv Motor.???

K6S RTR models come with the 12T pinion pre-installed out the box.
The included "Speed Pinion" (15T) comes in a plastic bag in the box.
So basically you can run 12T thru 15T Pinions safely according to Arrma. The recommended range. You are at 14T now as you stated. That is quite fast for dirt and grass. And Summer temps may make it run even hotter than you like. Govern yourself accordingly. 15T Speed pinion is only recommended for Pavement speed running. Not in the dirt. But many upgrade the fans to allow it.
Weather temps can create much more heat for the ESC. Lipos and Motor. Use your Temp gun to evaluate how hot you are with that 14T pinion right now before going to a larger pinion. I run 16T in my all Stock 6s Kraton. But I upgraded my fans to suit Both on my ESC and Motor. And it still can run hot at times. I allow cooldowns, and check with my Temp gun. And generally run on pavement when it gets that hot. Dirt and grass can make it even hotter.
When my motor gets to 150F and ESC gets to 120-140F it needs to cool down. Or the ESC will "Thermal cut". Usually getting a steady flashing Green Light when the ESC is Overheated. And it shuts off till it cools down. Try avoiding this at all costs. ESC fires are a thing. Been there.
All the above assuming you are actually running the K6 Kraton. And Not the K8s.
And if you are using 8s lipo on that K6, with that Max 6, I would keep the Pinion smaller, at 12T. Or you will surely cook that 2050kv 6s motor real fast. Good to always keep the motor cleaned out and it's BB's well lubed with a drop of Synthetic Oil on a regular basis. Especially when hot out.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back