Typhon Do you even need a motor fan on a bone stock v3 3s typhon?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gdub34

Reaction score
I’m still running the stock 15T pinion. Weather was cold but dry today so I took out my 3s v3 blx for a bash. Unfortunately I sent her cartwheeling into some bushes at my house. Everything came out unscathed and the buggy still drove perfectly. I took the body off to remove the lipo before it hit lvc and noticed I smashed the factory Arrma motor fan on top of the heatsink. It’s toast and am wondering if it’s ok to run the buggy without a motor fan and just the heatsink as the first two versions didn’t even come with a factory motor fan? Will I overheat, lessen performance or damage anything without the fan? I’m guessing no but I’m not a gambler. Opinions please? Am I still good to go bash away even without a motor fan?
body is a little dented as well but I expect that to get well worn as I run packs through it. lol but that’s normal wear and nothing to me. thanks

Last edited:
I’m still running the stock 15T pinion. Weather was cold but dry today so I took out my 3s v3 blx for a bash. Unfortunately I sent her cartwheeling into some bushes at my house. Everything came out unscathed and the buggy still drove perfectly. I took the body off to remove the lipo before it hit lvc and noticed I smashed the factory Arrma motor fan on top of the heatsink. It’s toast and am wondering if it’s ok to run the buggy without a motor fan and just the heatsink as the first two versions didn’t even come with a factory motor fan? Will I overheat, lessen performance or damage anything without the fan? I’m guessing no but I’m not a gambler. Opinions please? Am I still good to go bash away even without a motor fan?
body is a little dented as well but I expect that to get well worn as I run packs through it. lol but that’s normal wear and nothing to me. thanks
You will not overheat. The v3 only come with a fan for "safety". I never overheated my 3s motor on my Senton v2.

You will not overheat. The v3 only come with a fan for "safety". I never overheated my 3s motor on my Senton v2.
I was about to order a WTF fan to replace the cheap stock one so thanks for saving me some green. thanks

You don't need a REALLY powerful fan for a 3s vehicle. A cheap power hobby or Amazon fan should do! (y)
should I even bother replacing if there’s no potential overheating issues or performance loss without the fan? i would like this rc to last a good while and perform its best. thanks

Last edited:
It’s dependent on running conditions, ambient temperature, etc. and since we don’t know your exact situation, we can’t make a definitive recommendation on whether you need one or not. just monitor motor temps and you’ll know if you need a fan or not

It’s dependent on running conditions, ambient temperature, etc. and since we don’t know your exact situation, we can’t make a definitive recommendation on whether you need one or not. just monitor motor temps and you’ll know if you need a fan or not
I own a laser temp gun. What temperature should I look for to maximize performance of the stock buggy? thanks

I own a laser temp gun. What temperature should I look for to maximize performance of the stock buggy? thanks
I try to stay under 150 degrees. A fan isnt necessary but it does help. The lower you can keep the motor temp, the better it is for it.

I try to stay under 150 degrees. A fan isnt necessary but it does help. The lower you can keep the motor temp, the better it is for it.
thanks
If I decide to replace the fan what size and fan would you go with? thanks

Last edited:
thanks
If I decide to replace the fan what size and fan would you go with? thanks
It depends on the motor size (3650 or 3660), but, i typically get cheap fan/heatsinks from either eBay or Horizon Hobby.
These are the ones i typically use from HH: https://www.horizonhobby.com/product/motor-cooling-fan-1-10th-scale/DYNS7750.html
These from eBay for 3650 (also says it works on 3660, but i have never tried it): https://www.ebay.com/itm/540-550-Mo...sh=item4220fea121:g:43YAAOSwZfNfaxkW&LH_BIN=1
These for 3660 from Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-...sh=item2d2099357f:g:zlUAAOSw9BBf5RZ-&LH_BIN=1
One word of caution though. If you are going to run in water, unplug the fan or remove it all together. The cheaper ones don't like water at all.

I converted my senton to a typhon body with 15t and 2.8 badlands and hit 200 deg a couple times then motor bearing seized up. Put hybrid bearings in motor and added arrma fan and it runs about 160 now. Temps ran about 140 when I had my monster fusion body on. I run full out in thick grass racing kid’s big rock and granite around and they hit 140 without fan on 2s. Driving style makes a big difference. If we’re just hitting the ramp they don’t get that hot.

It helps up really well. Now I have a 6s system in there!
good to know. I have a 20 tooth pinion going in the 3s typhon as soon as it warms up here so it’s probably a good time to upgrade my motor fan anyway. thanks

Suggestions on which plug and play fan to get? I don’t mind spending 30-40 bucks on it if it keeps the motor cool for maximum performance and holds up well. The motor is the stock blx Firma 3660 3200kv unit as well. Opinions? I’m going to need enough wiring for the fan to plug into my esc.my stock 5v fan wire was all taped up in the motor to esc wires by the Arrma assembly team so I’m not going to even try to free it up. I’m looking for a good fan with enough wiring to be mounted in the stock location on the heatsink and the wire routed to the esc with a little wire to spare because I can always just ziptye that up and it gives me more options as well. thanks

Last edited:
Back