Kraton 12S Power Build but Diff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Kraton 8S
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Outcast 8s
Forum, I am on a SKI plan: Spending Kids Inheritance, one new RC product at a time.

Hobbywing G2 Max5/800kv. Combo

M2C Bellcrank. Nothing new here.

Any suggestions how I can get through a Lipo pack without shredding diffs?

If you want to peak detailed build:

Spoiler alert! It fits.

Funny enough I was terrified of this happening to me when I decided to get a 12s kraton as I've had almost zero diff problems with my 8s rigs. Thankfully after about 5 packs on the 12s kraton I haven't had a single diff problem yet and I'm running stock weights on the 12s. Wish I could tell you the secret but I have no clue. :eek:

Funny enough I was terrified of this happening to me when I decided to get a 12s kraton as I've had almost zero diff problems with my 8s rigs. Thankfully after about 5 packs on the 12s kraton I haven't had a single diff problem yet and I'm running stock weights on the 12s. Wish I could tell you the secret but I have no clue. :eek:
Maybe stock weight with mx43’s is the key…. I’m starting to think when you up the fluid (500k +) it puts more stress on the diff cups and ring gear screws. 🤷‍♂️

Maybe stock weight with mx43’s is the key…. I’m starting to think when you up the fluid (500k +) it puts more stress on the diff cups and ring gear screws. 🤷‍♂️
You might be right! I have 500k f/r and earplugs in the center on both my o8s and k8s and haven't had problems. I was planning on doing the same for the 12s kraton but maybe I should reconsider. I really like earplugs in the center though :ROFLMAO:

No other reason to use any tire besides mx43's in my book! think i got like 4 sets of them now :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

You might be right! I have 500k f/r and earplugs in the center on both my o8s and k8s and haven't had problems. I was planning on doing the same for the 12s kraton but maybe I should reconsider. I really like earplugs in the center though :ROFLMAO:

No other reason to use any tire besides mx43's in my book! think i got like 4 sets of them now :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
The center diff seems fine with 20mil or ear plugs but I think the f/r can’t handle that much pressure..

I gotta get me some mx43’s 👍

I really doubt that mx43s wheels is the key...

I really doubt that mx43s wheels is the key...
I just meant as far as ballooning is concerned.. everyone tries to combat it by increasing the diff weight.

I just meant as far as ballooning is concerned.. everyone tries to combat it by increasing the diff weight.
I'm using Masher X belted tires, they are lighter than mx43s and my rear diff blew up. It just happened once thou so if it happens again then might have to try thicker oil in diffs, etc. I ran about 4-5 packs through it.

I think the real issue is we are all trying to pump 20hp or more through a drivetrain that wasn’t designed to handle it. Combined with different driving conditions/styles.
Even if you get the diffs bulletproofed, the axles and pins snap…
I love my 8s trucks more than most of my collection. However they continue to beak my heart! 😢
They’ve been pretty solid lately, but I don’t run them nearly as much or hard anymore. 🤷‍♂️

I think the real issue is we are all trying to pump 20hp or more through a drivetrain that wasn’t designed to handle it. Combined with different driving conditions/styles.
Even if you get the diffs bulletproofed, the axles and pins snap…
I love my 8s trucks more than most of my collection. However they continue to beak my heart! 😢
They’ve been pretty solid lately, but I don’t run them nearly as much or hard anymore. 🤷‍♂️
Don't tell me that Arrma tough diffs can't handle it!!! My brother's Xrt is running on 12s and he hasn't had any problems at all (and he runs it very hard). And he is running stock fluids. Arrma diffs can't be worse quality than Traxxas. I think it's the extra vehicle weight overall of need of thicker fluid (I don't know to be honest )

Forum, I am on a SKI plan: Spending Kids Inheritance, one new RC product at a time.

Hobbywing G2 Max5/800kv. Combo

M2C Bellcrank. Nothing new here.

Any suggestions how I can get through a Lipo pack without shredding diffs?

If you want to peak detailed build:

Spoiler alert! It fits.

If you have only been changing out the diff gears and it keeps happening, often we find its the diff case that is bad also. (flexing enough to create space for the teeth to engage partially allowing it to shred the gears)

Might need to change out the whole assembly.

If you have only been changing out the diff gears and it keeps happening, often we find its the diff case that is bad also. (flexing enough to create space for the teeth to engage partially allowing it to shred the gears)

Might need to change out the whole assembly.
Are there aluminum diff cups available? Link if possible

I have 12s XRT as well as the 12s Kraton and both trucks diffs have been fine. I use mx43's on both rigs too haha. I did have major problems with my 8s xrt ring gears but shimming the holy hell out of it fixed it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back