12s truggified MCD Buggy Build.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moirae

Beauty & Beast
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Fireteam
  3. Infraction
  4. Limitless
  5. Kraton 8S
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Kraton 4s
  8. Mojave EXB
  9. Notorious
  10. Outcast 8s
  11. Outcast EXB
  12. Talion EXB
  13. Typhon 3s
  14. Typhon 6s
  15. Typhon TLR
Better late than never! :ROFLMAO:

Greetings gents! Got my 2nd MCD rig and it's a simple build but I love how it turned out. I bought this rig with the idea that I was going to truggify it and try to bash it at the bmx spot.

1693154875806.png

Hobbywing Max 4 + TP 5860(112mm) 800kv motor
1 inch hub extensions and I also bought the top stiffener plate/brace that comes on the ultimate but I've yet to install it. I also decided to use the 55$ 80kg 1/8th scale servo from aliexpress that I've had amazing luck with so far in my other 1/5th scale rigs.

1693154979412.png

TaylorRC/DHL got me this thing from the UK in 2 days. DHL express is not to be taken lightly, they are FAST. At the time I was still waiting on my mcd electric conversion kit from Cardinal Racing but I had a rovan F5 conversion kit so I used that instead..

1693155032527.png

I struggled to peel the plastic film off. Had to let the body sit in some heat for a while but eventually it came off and I was really happy with my paint job. I'm no pro or anything and still haven't learned how to airbrush yet but soon I will make the leap. :cool:

1693155080450.png

1693155094782.png

1693155109104.png

1693155132418.png

1693155142274.png

Took it to the BMX spot on 8s

At this point in the build/first bash I wasn't happy with the steering. It was fine off road but I later learned I was dealing with "steering wander" whenever I drove it on road. I didn't even know what that was before I got this rig :ROFLMAO: It took me a bit of tinkering and googling to figure out what was happening. Even more tinkering to figure out how to fix it. I did what any half way intelligent person would do. I got my first mcd and compared all the front suspension settings, the center of gravity settings etc etc! I compared everything at the front of each rig to find what was different on the buggy and possibly causing the unwanted behaviour.

My hard work paid off and I figured it out! BTW GAWD damn! these rigs have so many tuning options its crazy. All of this stuff is over my head but we're learning! kinda... :ROFLMAO:

1693155735806.png

Going to the 2nd lower center of gravity hole totally fixed my steering wander and it was the one thing different from my mcd xr5 and rovan f5.

Listen to that sound!!

She's a bad mamajama!!

12s BMX bash!! after this bash I noticed my front stiffener brace bent! not bad for being the only dmg after a bash and I was able to bend it back. I decided to add a second one with the hopes of making it less of a weak point. I still need to add a screw to the center to make them act as one a bit better.

1693155696074.png

I also went ahead and got the stiffest springs I could and have installed them. Haven't tested them at the bmx spot yet but soon!. I definitely think my suspension was a bit on the soft side with the weight of the rig.

Thanks for stopping by and checking my rig out! :cool:

You've got a few different large scale rigs now haven't you?

How do these rate in you're opinion?

I'm toying with the idea of a large scale off road rig and would appreciate some insight from someone with experience.

Yessir! Mcd is expensive but the quality is top notch. They are very well built race rigs tbh so I was a little worried about trying to bash it like we do an arrma rig. I'm glad it went really well though and I even have the FT-R spec which comes with metal arms. Zero problems but I did land everything on 4 tires, though some bounces made me tumble a few times.

I love them and they require less maintenance since they're so well built. I just put some grease or chain lube in a few places every once in a while and I've been gucci. They have cheaper options that come with less upgrades and plastic arms as well.

With that said I do also love my XRT/Xmaxx and arrma 8s rigs so I really couldn't point you in any one direction. I think you will like whatever you decide to do though. If you start with an MCD you will definitely become spoiled by the quality :ROFLMAO:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back