MCD XR5 Max Pro

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moirae

Beauty & Beast
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Felony
  2. Fireteam
  3. Infraction
  4. Limitless
  5. Kraton 8S
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Kraton 4s
  8. Mojave EXB
  9. Notorious
  10. Outcast 8s
  11. Outcast EXB
  12. Talion EXB
  13. Typhon 3s
  14. Typhon 6s
  15. Typhon TLR
20230701_003033.jpg

Finally got my first MCD rig and all I can say is this thing is amazing. Expensive AF but amazing! I can't even imagine what the ultimate version is like at 2500$ :ROFLMAO: :eek:

1688413397020.png

1688416755530.png

side by side with the rovan f5

I started off with the gas roller instead of the electric roller because it comes with the mechanical brakes preinstalled. I had to spend an extra 145$ on the electric conversion kit because of it which means I basically paid 145$ for the mechanical brakes but it was worth it to me. My rovan f5 doesn't have them and at times I felt like the brakes weren't' strong enough. These rigs are heavy AF and go fast. :eek::cool:

1688412051071.png

I ended up starting with the Max 4 instead of the pictured max 5 and the sensored 56118 800kv. For the brake servo I went with a cheapo amazon DS and for steering I went with the 80kg cheapo beast from aliexpress. Love this thing, been great in my traxxas XRT so I figured why not?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804094242829.html?

1688413230415.png

1688413314726.png

First time trying to run it and the max 4 exploded into a ball of flames. Good thing I hadn't finished the body yet and it happened without it on.

1688416988842.png

After the fire and with the max 5 g2 installed, I ended up snapping the motor shaft on the brand new hw 56118 800kv after only a few mins on the street. At this point I was thinking the rig was cursed. To make the situation even worse, the motor shaft snapped inside of the motor output shaft.

1688417270927.png

That adapter goes onto the motor shaft and the pinion goes onto that adapter. With the shaft broken inside of it and me not able to get it out I was kind of screwed. Of course, Cardinal racing was sold out of the part and rovan doesn't even list the part separately, assuming the rovan equivalent even fits. Its included in both companies electric conversion kits that cost 140$ for the mcd and 170$ for the rovans. Yea screw that lol. I ended up finding the rovan part on aliexpress for 8$ and ordered a few of them. Then I paid an exorbitant amount of money for the fastest shipping I could get because I don't have patience.

After all of that I finally got the bright idea to just take the whole motor mount and motor out of my rovan f5 and install it into the mcd. They looked similar enough and it is a clone so yolo!. It worked! and I finally got to drive it without waiting on my part from china.

I ordered a spare max 4 while I waited for my replacement from the fire. I had my real first run with the max 5 g2 and now TP 5870 750kv

I love this car.

I previously ordered a sensored tp 5870 800kv for this build and it actually finally shipped today and should be here on thursday. I'm super excited for it! I also ordered some upgraded rovan alu parts to put on the mcd since they're so much cheaper than the mcd equivalents. I got the complete turnbuckle set and the front chassis braces.

Thanks for reading! :cool:(y)

Last edited:
Awsome
I’ve been looking at the XS5 max ..
You know
Just to be in the 1/5 club !
Havnt had much time to research but the chassis looks tits McGee fer sure !

The quality really is awesome and I definitely feel like I got my money worth. My biggest regret is starting with the rovan f5 and not the XS5. If I could go back in time I'd have the MCD XS5 and XR5 and not the Rovan F5

View attachment 309243

Finally got my first MCD rig and all I can say is this thing is amazing. Expensive AF but amazing! I can't even imagine what the ultimate version is like at 2500$ :ROFLMAO: :eek:

View attachment 309197
View attachment 309202
side by side with the rovan f5

I started off with the gas roller instead of the electric roller because it comes with the mechanical brakes preinstalled. I had to spend an extra 145$ on the electric conversion kit because of it which means I basically paid 145$ for the mechanical brakes but it was worth it to me. My rovan f5 doesn't have them and at times I felt like the brakes weren't' strong enough. These rigs are heavy AF and go fast. :eek::cool:

View attachment 309193

I ended up starting with the Max 4 instead of the pictured max 5 and the sensored 56118 800kv. For the brake servo I went with a cheapo amazon DS and for steering I went with the 80kg cheapo beast from aliexpress. Love this thing, been great in my traxxas XRT so I figured why not?

https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256804094242829.html?

View attachment 309195

View attachment 309196

First time trying to run it and the max 4 exploded into a ball of flames. Good thing I hadn't finished the body yet and it happened without it on.

View attachment 309206
After the fire and with the max 5 g2 installed, I ended up snapping the motor shaft on the brand new hw 56118 800kv after only a few mins on the street. At this point I was thinking the rig was cursed. To make the situation even worse, the motor shaft snapped inside of the motor output shaft.

View attachment 309209

That adapter goes onto the motor shaft and the pinion goes onto that adapter. With the shaft broken inside of it and me not able to get it out I was kind of screwed. Of course, Cardinal racing was sold out of the part and rovan doesn't even list the part separately, assuming the rovan equivalent even fits. Its included in both companies electric conversion kits that cost 140$ for the mcd and 170$ for the rovans. Yea screw that lol. I ended up finding the rovan part on aliexpress for 8$ and ordered a few of them. Then I paid an exorbitant amount of money for the fastest shipping I could get because I don't have patience.

After all of that I finally got the bright idea to just take the whole motor mount and motor out of my rovan f5 and install it into the mcd. They looked similar enough and it is a clone so yolo!. It worked! and I finally got to drive it without waiting on my part from china.

I ordered a spare max 4 while I waited for my replacement from the fire. I had my real first run with the max 5 g2 and now TP 5870 750kv

I love this car.

I previously ordered a sensored tp 5870 800kv for this build and it actually finally shipped today and should be here on thursday. I'm super excited for it! I also ordered some upgraded rovan alu parts to put on the mcd since they're so much cheaper than the mcd equivalents. I got the complete turnbuckle set and the front chassis braces.

Thanks for reading! :cool:(y)
Bruh !!! Wtf on the max 4 ???? That’s BS. New rig is fire 🔥 though !!

Pff… lame…

Jk jk, another killer rig, brother!
Thanks man, it really is an amazing piece of kit. Really wish I knew about them sooner.
Love this car, looking forward to seeing you bash and thrash it! :cool::devilish:
Probably new video out by the time you read this!! or later today anyway haha. Took it to the parking lot for a speed run and a bit of messin around. :cool: (y)
Bruh !!! Wtf on the max 4 ???? That’s BS. New rig is fire 🔥 though !!
Yea man it really sucked. Should have saw the look on my face when it happened. I sound like I took it well in the video but I was sad AF. Like a kid on christmas waking up to coal in a box. :ROFLMAO:
Question...🤔 Why did you not just get the Max4 combo with the 70125 motor???
Good question! especially since ultimately the motor I bought ended up costing even more than the hw 70125. I'M A TP FANBOY!! nothing better for the price. Oh and the hobbywing motor weighs almost twice as much. It's like 2000 grams vs 1200 grams and I also didn't like the lower kv. I went with 800kv vs the hw 560. I bet the HW runs cooler for sure though.

The tp 5870 is 58122 so it's definitely not small but that hw motor is big and heavy AF. Tbh I'm already dying every time I carry this thing up and down 3 flights of stairs. :eek::eek:

I wish I could sleep until thursday and wake up to my sensored tp motor :sleep::ROFLMAO:
“I wanna make love to it..” 🤣🤣🤣🤣

No disrespect man, just thought that was funny. 👍

Last edited:
1691907239108.png

@violet604
I think this is what they were talking about? I've been trying to figure it out ever since you mentioned it lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back