12v fan question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velodromed

Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory!
Premium Member
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Notorious
  6. Outcast 4s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
  9. Infraction 4x4
I have a silly question…Is it possible to run a 12v fan off a small 4s battery? Thanks guys!

Yes. You just connect the plus and minus leads to leads 1 & 4 of the balance connector.
Thanks buddy…I know that part, I just didn’t know if it would burn the fan out or something running it at a higher voltage.

Thanks buddy…I know that part, I just didn’t know if it would burn the fan out or something running it at a higher voltage.
The fourth pin should only be 12.6v max, the fifth pin would be full 🥔

Thanks bud! I have already put Deans connectors on the fans and I’ve been running them on small 3S lipos. But since they are 12v fans (maglev) I was thinking to get a small 4s battery, slap a deans connector on and see if it works. Sounds like it will so I’m pretty stoked. I’ll finally have my heat issues under control by the time this awful Texas summer ends 😂
Yes, it would :)
Well, if it does burn it out or shorten the life oh well 😂
🤔 OK perhaps I don’t understand this at all. I don’t know a lot about electrical stuff except what I’ve learned working on RC cars. So what exactly do you mean?

Thanks bud! I have already put Deans connectors on the fans and I’ve been running them on small 3S lipos. But since they are 12v fans (maglev) I was thinking to get a small 4s battery, slap a deans connector on and see if it works. Sounds like it will so I’m pretty stoked. I’ll finally have my heat issues under control by the time this awful Texas summer ends 😂

Well, if it does burn it out or shorten the life oh well 😂

🤔 OK perhaps I don’t understand this at all. I don’t know a lot about electrical stuff except what I’ve learned working on RC cars. So what exactly do you mean?
Running a 12V fan on 16V? I don't think that's a wise choice. You're almost certain to kill the fan that way. You can run a 12V fan off of the balance lead by connecting the +/- to the first and fourth pin, which would be the equivalent to running it off a 3S lipo (3S lipo has 4 pin balance connectors).

Yes, I’ve done it via a custom balance lead plug I made.
OK I think I’m starting to understand. How was your custom balance lead set up exactly? I have the gear and balance plugs to wire one up…just not sure exactly how to do it.

I soldered balance leads on mine. 👍
EAB01F94-BE7C-4A67-8B1C-0A7809B4079C.jpeg

@Velodromed you can do the same thing that @Hammer Down did with a 4S balance connector, but don't connect it to the first and last pin as in the picture. Connect the leads to the first and fourth pin of the 5-pin connector and you're good to go. Hope this makes sense.

I soldered balance leads on mine. 👍
View attachment 240947
OK thank you. I realize I’m thinking about this wrong now… I’ll just stick with my small 3s batteries. Much appreciate it y’all!
@Velodromed you can do the same thing that @Hammer Down did with a 4S balance connector, but don't connect it to the first and last pin as in the picture. Connect the leads to the first and fourth pin of the 5-pin connector and you're good to go. Hope this makes sense.
Yeah I’ve got it figured out now. It may take a while but eventually the light bulb goes on 🤣

I also pulled the unused pins out.
The ones in my pic are 3s plugs tho..

Edit: the top one is a 4s I think.. can’t remember.

I also pulled the unused pins out.
The ones in my pic are 3s plugs tho..
Got it. And since I’m already using 3s batteries I have pretty much maximized the power to the 12v fan out. To run a fan on 4s I would have to get a fan made for running on higher than 16v. I’m not sure what different voltages they make them in but yeah, think I got it. Thank you!!

You can still run a 12v fan off a 4s pack @12v. Just need to connect to the correct pins.
Sorry I’m kinda distracted atm, and can’t give you a better explanation. Wife won’t quit talking to me… 🤣

You can still run a 12v fan off a 4s pack @12v. Just need to connect to the correct pins.
Sorry I’m kinda distracted atm, and can’t give you a better explanation. Wife won’t quit talking to me… 🤣
Naw man you guys are great as always. Thanks! Have fun paying attention…the struggle is real at times 😉

Pulling from 3 of the 4 cells? I thought it was always bad practice to pull power from a multicell battery with less than the full output voltage? I guess with balance charging and the lower power consumption of the fans perhaps this is not a huge deal.. still.. I would think a buck converter would be better.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back