Kraton 3S or 4S or 6S options for my daughter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superticky

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
  2. Talion EXB
Hello guys !

My daughter is turning 10 years old soon and I would like to give her a new RC. She has been driving since 4 years old with a mini Ruckus 1/18 and then at 7 she stole my mini e-revo 1/16 to beat him up for many years lol.

Now that she is a better driver and more mature I'm looking for options for her.

First I thought about the granite 3S 4x4 but she likes better the Typhon 3S. Only problem is we drive on a big park area on short grass and Typhon is a buggy so maybe too low for grass ?

Then we thought about the new Typhon 6S but upgrading the tires for bad lands, still not sure and maybe overpowered for her unless I put a 4S instead. The rest of the 6S cars are still too much for her and too big unless it's the Typhon.

Then .... this nice 4S lineup came out !!! Based on my comments what do you think about the Kraton 4S ? it has 3.8 17mm hex wheels which should have enough clearance for the grass, should be stable enough and the new controller even thought it's a big downgrade it has throttle trim which I can turn down. She can only handle 30 mph for now. In the future we could increase speed as she gets better and most important safe driving. We could even put later some 3.8 bad lands for best traction in the grass.

Important note: she loves to jump using those bumps you will see in the pictures :) luckily it's all grass.

Is there a better option rather than Kraton 4S for this ?

Below a few pictures of the park where we drive so you guys can give me your kind comments ? Thanks you all !!!!

Attachments

• park3.png
    park3.png
    577.3 KB · Views: 106
  • park2.png
    park2.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 68
  • park1.png
    park1.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Hey!

So I can't really recommend much, since I've only got a Senton 3s. But since you're looking for good traction in that sort of area, you could even take a look at the Outcast 4s. I've tossed the idea around, debating to either convert my Senton into a MT, or just leave it as is and the new Outcast. But hey, honestly they're all good. Hey, you could even get the Typhon, and throw some MT tires on it, and get a smaller pinion gear, that'd work just fine!

I see people keep asking which to get...
3s, 4s or 6s
I really can't speak on the 3 or 4 but it's always better to buy a higher quality.

What I am wondering is how a younger person or less experienced, etc. can control a 4s kraton better then a 6s kraton powered by a 4s or even 3s?
Wouldn't a larger heavier car with a smaller battery go slower at that point?
And if so, shouldn't it be more reliable as it's being babyed?

Hey!

So I can't really recommend much, since I've only got a Senton 3s. But since you're looking for good traction in that sort of area, you could even take a look at the Outcast 4s. I've tossed the idea around, debating to either convert my Senton into a MT, or just leave it as is and the new Outcast. But hey, honestly they're all good. Hey, you could even get the Typhon, and throw some MT tires on it, and get a smaller pinion gear, that'd work just fine!

Thanks Friend, I already have a Notorious 6S so that's why I didn't list that as an option. Also she likes more the truggy/buggy form rather than MT. But yes, Typhon 6S under geared with some 17mm hex buggy badlands was my best option before I saw the Kraton 4S !!!

Keep it coming guys and Thanks :)
I see people keep asking which to get...
3s, 4s or 6s
I really can't speak on the 3 or 4 but it's always better to buy a higher quality.

What I am wondering is how a younger person or less experienced, etc. can control a 4s kraton better then a 6s kraton powered by a 4s or even 3s?
Wouldn't a larger heavier car with a smaller battery go slower at that point?
And if so, shouldn't it be more reliable as it's being babyed?

I agree with that comment and that's why I was looking into the Typhon 6S but running under geared or with a 4S instead. Also with Badlands for better grass traction. I just wonder if this is an overkill and Kraton 4S would be a better fit, specially for the grass and jumps in the grass.

Thank you for your comment ! I think it makes sense.

My son asked me the same question about getting my grandson an rc. I told him to get a 4s and just run it on a 3s or 2s battery so it can grow with his skills. Kids learn fast and then they get bored fast. But he isn't as skilled as your daughter yet, he's only 5.

The 4s Kraton sounds like it would be a good match for both skill and where you primarily run it.

Last edited:
My son asked me the same question about getting my grandson an rc. I told him to get a 4s and just run it on a 3s or 2s battery so it can grow with his skills. Kids learn fast and then they get bored fast.

Yes I was thinking on limiting the throttle trim until 30 mph which she can handle or gear down. I use 4S on mine so it would be nice to have 4S batteries to share. Also with a 4S 6000 it should give her plenty of run time on lower speed.

Thanks Friend, I already have a Notorious 6S so that's why I didn't list that as an option. Also she likes more the truggy/buggy form rather than MT. But yes, Typhon 6S under geared with some 17mm hex buggy badlands was my best option before I saw the Kraton 4S !!!

Keep it coming guys and Thanks :)

I agree with that comment and that's why I was looking into the Typhon 6S but running under geared or with a 4S instead. Also with Badlands for better grass traction. I just wonder if this is an overkill and Kraton 4S would be a better fit, specially for the grass and jumps in the grass.

Thank you for your comment ! I think it makes sense.
The cost savings are gone if you have to mod the Typhon right away. Shouldn't you just get a kraton at that point? I'm just saying I think the 4s would be faster then a 6s with a smaller battery.
Now scale size is something totally different. If your mainly driving in a smaller backyard then I'd go with the 1/10 or maybe a Outcast geared properly.

The cost savings are gone if you have to mod the Typhon right away. Shouldn't you just get a kraton at that point? I'm just saying I think the 4s would be faster then a 6s with a smaller battery.
Now scale size is something totally different. If your mainly driving in a smaller backyard then I'd go with the 1/10 or maybe a Outcast geared properly.
Careful with an Outcast in a small back yard. I was testing settings and now owe my neighbor some fence work. Nothing happened to the truck tho.

Careful with an Outcast in a small back yard. I was testing settings and now owe my neighbor some fence work. Nothing happened to the truck tho.

oh no !!! I'm sorry to hear that. But we drive in an open park with short grass (see the pics attached in the original post) where we have plenty of space and usually no people in that area. I drive my outcast 6S with a 4S and 17 pinion (for a max of 40 mph ) , my wife drives a RC10T4.3 , my daughter my old mini e-revo 1/16 and my 4 year old son a Tacon Valor MT 1/14 with a foam in the throttle to limit speed to half :)

Exactly, that's what I thought when I saw the new Kraton 4S. My initial idea was a Typhon 3S or a Typhon 6S limited only so it can last for years and later on we could make it faster as she learns better over the years, like more a long term investment. A 3S Typhon would be the short term investment vs 6S limited for a a more long term investment. Still not sure if Typhon has enough clearance for the grass even with some buggy badlands ?

That's why I created the thread to hear all you guys opinions. Feels like the Kraton 4S is right there in the middle and should be fine in the short grass.

Thank you again.

oh no !!! I'm sorry to hear that. But we drive in an open park with short grass (see the pics attached in the original post) where we have plenty of space and usually no people in that area. I drive my outcast 6S with a 4S and 17 pinion (for a max of 40 mph ) , my wife drives a RC10T4.3 , my daughter my old mini e-revo 1/16 and my 4 year old son a Tacon Valor MT 1/14 with a foam in the throttle to limit speed to half :)
The whole family huh? It's mostly that way here too. Once the new one can walk we'll get him on one. The 5 year old will try to take my Noto when we go out. I run mine on 6s so it gets me jittery when I see him by the radio.

Hi, I always recommend the Granite, but if daughter doesn't like that model I would have to recommend the new Kraton 4s.

The whole family huh? It's mostly that way here too. Once the new one can walk we'll get him on one. The 5 year old will try to take my Noto when we go out. I run mine on 6s so it gets me jittery when I see him by the radio.
Any recommendations for that age?
All controllers are to big for my 16 month old

Don't forget on the Kraton 4s controller they have that dial to set the throttle from 50% to 75 % to 100%. That way you can step it up as she get's used to it.

Any recommendations for that age?
All controllers are to big for my 16 month old
16 months, lol, yeah I guess that is walking age. The 5 year old started last year with a dual stick radio, but he wants a "real" rc with a big boy radio, so he's getting a mini-Outcast for his B-day. If they had a Notorious body for the 4s he'd rather that to match mine.

Plus with the 4s, if he can't drive it yet, his dad can until his skills get better. That's what I think sold my son.

I'm gonna throw you a curveball and say go with the Typhon 3s. 1. It's already set up to drop in 17mm 2.8 MT wheels/tires, so that solves your grass clearance issue. 2. She likes the looks. 3. The Tactic TTX300 (which is much better than the cheap STX2) has EPA, so you can run it on 3s, dial down the throttle for her and dial it up gradually as she gets better with driving it.

The 4s trucks are much heavier at 8lbs and ppl are already snapping A Arms on them (more so than the 3s line that is). Sure the 3s arms break too, but less likely due to the smaller width (less leverage) and lighter overall weight. RPM has already came out with Typhon 3s arms, nothing for the 4s line yet, and parts from Arrma are sparse. The 4s line has the cheap 17mm hexes (still uses an 8mm flanged lock nut.

If you get a 6s Typhon, it takes some modding to be able to run 2.8 MT's due to rubbing on the rim.

Now that I'm back in the RC game after many years I'll start getting my kids rigs for their birthdays. I wasn't too sure on what to get them, until the 4s line came out. The Kraton caught my eye and looks plenty capable. There will be a couple baby Kratons running around here pretty soon. I have the Kraton 6s and it's a bit too big for little hands.

I'm gonna throw you a curveball and say go with the Typhon 3s. 1. It's already set up to drop in 17mm 2.8 MT wheels/tires, so that solves your grass clearance issue. 2. She likes the looks. 3. The Tactic TTX300 (which is much better than the cheap STX2) has EPA, so you can run it on 3s, dial down the throttle for her and dial it up gradually as she gets better with driving it.

The 4s trucks are much heavier at 8lbs and ppl are already snapping A Arms on them (more so than the 3s line that is). Sure the 3s arms break too, but less likely due to the smaller width (less leverage) and lighter overall weight. RPM has already came out with Typhon 3s arms, nothing for the 4s line yet, and parts from Arrma are sparse. The 4s line has the cheap 17mm hexes (still uses an 8mm flanged lock nut.

If you get a 6s Typhon, it takes some modding to be able to run 2.8 MT's due to rubbing on the rim.

I like your point of view, for the 3S version my concern was clearance for grass and overheating. Which 17mm 2.8 MT would you recommend ? or what about the buggy new badlands even thought this is a 3S ? These look nice don't they ? :)

9067_5_l.jpg

Yeap ! this is our family lol :)

The smoothest of all (believe it or not) is the Team associated RC10 my wife uses, but by far !!! very quiet.

The toughest , funnest and loudest is the Notorious of course :) This is my winner

Not to be mean but the worst one to drive, harder to control, breaks all the time, loud for its size, overheats and flips like a roach:
Our Traxxas e-revo. My daughter is begging for a new car, it breaks or something always happens every run day. Even with lots of upgrades. It was good for learning thought.

Attachments

• IMG_20190105_152506.jpg
    IMG_20190105_152506.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_20181110_171355.jpg
    IMG_20181110_171355.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20190105_152529.jpg
    IMG_20190105_152529.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20190126_164226 (1).jpg
    IMG_20190126_164226 (1).jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 49
Well ... I also asked my daughter which one she likes the most, I showed her many videos of the Kraton 4S and Typhon 3S/6S.

Of course after watching Rich Duperbash video of the Kraton 4S she now wants that one over the Typhon ?

She also did these drawings for me , very cute and I just wanted to share it with you guys and thank you as usual for all comments and opinions, highly appreciated.

IMG_20190505_131119.jpg
IMG_20190505_131509.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back