Typhon 4S motor upgrade for Typhon 4x4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Resu

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Typhon 3s
Hi guys

Unfortunately its not that easy to find similar posts with the search as 4S is trimmed as keyword when using it ;-) Therefore I open another new thread.

What I'd like to do, is upgrading the Typhoon from 3S to 4S to gain a little bit more top speed (about 10 - 15 km/h) without changing the pinion. And a little bit more torque would be nice as well for minor jump-stunts. So taking a new 3200kv (and a new ESC, eg. the BLX12) would for sure give me more top speed due to additional RPM when running on 4S. But wouldn't it be better to get a motor with lower kv like 3060kv? It wouldn't get that hot I think but I then have more torque and still more top speed.

I know I need to upgrade some other parts as well, but they last at the beginning until they break.

Thanks for your answers!

I run the Senton blx with max10 120amp esc and stock blx motor on 4s. The power is almost too much but would be good for speed runs. The stock motor is holding up fine and is cheap enough to replace when it burns up.

Its all trial and error. Ultimate Temps, speed, and torque will dictate. Volt up... gear down and vice versa.
4S is a lot of volts for most 3650'ish motors in general.:cool:

well I did that once ? and when I asked around I got advised to keep saving for a 6s model and that it would be a waste of money.

believe me I had only listened ? costs a lot of money and you want 10 to 15 km faster ? you can forget that because they go just as fast. ?
plus you get a temperature problem and you have to change everything internally. so gears metal spur gear and so on ? it's not other motor and esc and you're done ?
because your car has too much power and it is not made for that.?

so be wise and start saving for a 6s model ?
they are the better option?

^^^That's why I only have Arrma 6S rigs. I have many other 1/10 scale brands of rigs here using 3650 motors. There are limits with the drivetrains.
6S is the way to go. Spending tons on upgrades to the drivetrain becomes foolish at some point if you want 6S speed. Just get a 6S to begin with. (y) (y)

Edit: I actually like running my 6S rigs on 4S sometimes. If geared well enough, I find it more controllable depending where I am bashing. Less wear and tear. But everyone is different.

Last edited:
Hi guys

Unfortunately its not that easy to find similar posts with the search as 4S is trimmed as keyword when using it ;-) Therefore I open another new thread.

What I'd like to do, is upgrading the Typhoon from 3S to 4S to gain a little bit more top speed (about 10 - 15 km/h) without changing the pinion. And a little bit more torque would be nice as well for minor jump-stunts. So taking a new 3200kv (and a new ESC, eg. the BLX12) would for sure give me more top speed due to additional RPM when running on 4S. But wouldn't it be better to get a motor with lower kv like 3060kv? It wouldn't get that hot I think but I then have more torque and still more top speed.

I know I need to upgrade some other parts as well, but they last at the beginning until they break.

Thanks for your answers!
Hello . I run the 4 s system in my boys typhon , we had loads of 4 and 2s batteries so instead of buying 3s batteries we bought a hobby wing max 10 for my kraton and a new blx3668 4s motor and put the blx120 and motor form my kraton in the typhon . I did it also because on days out it was clear that the 4s motor was a lot more energy efficient and ran way cooler than the blx3660 3200kv . We do how ever hardly run the typhon on 100% power as it has proline badlands mx28 on it with the 15t pinion and it gets a bit squirrely on full power . We run it at about 80% and it’s cool as can be running all day .

If converting a Mega line 12T Brushed setup to Brushless that's where the $fun$ begins....:ROFLMAO:
After all's said and one, you are in $6S$ territory for what it can possibly cost. :cool:

I put a Queen hobby racing 3674 2950kv motor And blx185 in my sons brcc. It’s insane on 4s and an animal on 3s. It’s almost too fast. Lots of torque compared to stock. My son wanted to run 4s to beat on his buddies with the traxxas maxx’s. We had it just as fast with the stock motor and max10sct esc. But as he breaks stuff we upgrade. I also did almost every upgrade I could to handle the extra power. It costs as much as a 6s rig once its built solid but, we wanted the 1/10 scale size. I don’t regret building it with my son. It was a blast. We love watching people’s jaws drop when he runs it. Then he swaps to a 4s pack and they ask wth is in that thing and how can they build theirs the same lol. It’s Kinda cool having a smaller, lighter rig With loads of power.

Like my 10yo son, he has his personal mechanic, ME. But honestly I get tired of wrenching his stuff, I have no time for mine. My rigs sit on the shelf in need of repair for weeks.:LOL: My son has all 6s Arrmas among other brand stuff. But I support him 100%. I get enjoyment watching him enjoy. Teaching him. Been doing this for 30+ years. I need to pass this onto him at some point anyway.:) I prefer 6S because of the durability and he respects the speed and power thankfully by now.

Once you have had a 3s or 4s arrma car fir a while and you start getting tired of fixing crap all the time it becomes clear these cars last better on 3s power . The kraton can handle the 4 but not long term really .

3674 or 4068 surpass motor.....hobbywing quicrun150a esc.youll love esc.could even try 5s or 6s also if you wanted.ive run 6s.

Like my 10yo son, he has his personal mechanic, ME. But honestly I get tired of wrenching his stuff, I have no time for mine. My rigs sit on the shelf in need of repair for weeks.:LOL: My son has all 6s Arrmas among other brand stuff. But I support him 100%. I get enjoyment watching him enjoy. Teaching him. Been doing this for 30+ years. I need to pass this onto him at some point anyway.:) I prefer 6S because of the durability and he respects the speed and power thankfully by now.
I’m in the same boat. My son is 9. I actually break stuff more than him Haha . He runs my Kraton and our other rc’s more often than me. He only drives like me when he’s with all his buddies. He likes to Showboat ha ha. He does however ask first before doing something that is most likely going to break it ha ha. He knows my response is always going to be “just send it dude. We’ll fix it later” aka me. I have over powered all my big boy toys over the years and he likes doing the same. He adds fuel to the fire because he knows dad won’t say no to more power and doing stupid stuff ha ha

Thanks guys for your answers. Bought a used Kraton 4S and I'm not happy with. Slipper is dead and not much runtime so far... Thought 4S would be fun with it...

As mostly all parts are the same as with the 3S models, it's maybe not a good idea to upgrade and killing the Typhoon as well ?

Last edited:
Long as you have 120mm tires or smaller that'll spin 4s an above has worked fine for me.bigger tires that grip an you'll destroy diffs an slippers.

Long as you have 120mm tires or smaller that'll spin 4s an above has worked fine for me.bigger tires that grip an you'll destroy diffs an slippers.

Do you have a link to the motor you use?

As ESC I've decided to take the MAX10 when I finally decide to order it.

Back to the OP - Why do you not want to change the pinion? Changing the pinion is very basic level tuning, and is almost a requirement once you start swapping motors.

If you allow pinion swaps, then you can go get a cheap 4068 or 4070 size 1900kv motor, and play with pinions between 20t and 25t to find the sweet spot. The larger 40-size motor will have gobs of torque and run cooler than a 36-size motor at the same speeds...

Back to the OP - Why do you not want to change the pinion? Changing the pinion is very basic level tuning, and is almost a requirement once you start swapping motors.

If you allow pinion swaps, then you can go get a cheap 4068 or 4070 size 1900kv motor, and play with pinions between 20t and 25t to find the sweet spot. The larger 40-size motor will have gobs of torque and run cooler than a 36-size motor at the same speeds...
Only issues I see with jumping to motors this large are the added weight , the 4s 2200 weighs 228 and 6s weighs 399 plus the added length for leverage on bending the motor mount

Max motor size for 4x4 is 3668 to fit accordingly without further modifications. A 2400kv motor like in the Kraton 4S would fit together with a larger pinion.

Only issues I see with jumping to motors this large are the added weight , the 4s 2200 weighs 228 and 6s weighs 399 plus the added length for leverage on bending the motor mount
Agree. Weight is an issue with these 4x4 platform cars. I ran 4s and a BLX2050 in my Granite for a while. Silly huge power - more than the truck could use - but the extra weight did not do the truck any favors.
Max motor size for 4x4 is 3668 to fit accordingly without further modifications. A 2400kv motor like in the Kraton 4S would fit together with a larger pinion.
I ran a 4074 in my Granite. Fits, but heavy.

^^^do you run that on 4s or 6s?? Yeah its heavy, but the rig itself light overall. A 6s brick makes it real heavy I imagine. :unsure:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back