Mojave Running my 6S trucks on 4S - motor change or ye olde speed pinion?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eno

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Mojave
  2. Notorious
  3. Senton 3s
Help, fellow motor wizards!
I am not new to RC but have never paid much attention to motor kv vs voltage and all that good stuff...

I am running my 6S trucks only on 4S at the moment and was wondering what my best option would be:

1. Changing the stock motor to a 4268 2600kv
2. Keeping the stock motor but change the pinion to the speed gear one

I guess option 1 is easier on the motor but will it have enough torque for these heavy rigs?

That's what I am doing now but I have a feeling there is room for improvement.

@Hector_Fisher, what do you reckon?

I’d personally not go to a smaller motor. The 4268 motors are less powerful than the 4274 ones.
I run the Max6 combo on 4s from time to time. Nice torque and still fun to drive. On 6s and full throttle it’s basically too fast for almost everywhere I run, but for the 2 or 3 seconds I can go full power it’s pretty fun😄.
Although it depends on things like, terrain, trigger finger, tires, weight, ambient temps etc., general consensus is that on the 6s cars, a 2000kv motor is about as high as you should go. I ran one in my Mojave for a while. It worked, but got a bit warm especially during summer.

If you want a little bit more torque and want to keep the stock esc, have a look at the 4082 motors they are about 20% more powerful than a stock 4074. If you are planning to run 6s in the near future, somewhere in the 1600-1800kv range. If you only run 4s somewhere in the 1800-2000kv range.

don't personally have a mojave, but seems like good advice so far. What are you trying to accomplish? Is it currently too slow on 4s with the stock system and stock pinion? A pinion is pretty cheap, couldn't hurt to up a tooth or two, monitor temps, and see if things are where you like. Of course, if you up the pinion too much you'd be sacrificing torque for speed.

I would keep the larger stock motor though unless you want to invest quite a bit more $$$ into a larger motor.

I run my Talion on 4S stock pinion and diff gears without issues. Still has great speed and very controllable. Just as a simple equation, lower KV = higher torque and burst speeds. Higher KV higher top end and lesser torque. Running 6s is fun too but higher risk of blowing up parts unless your a decent RC operator, like sending it down range long distances (refer to the high risk note). Mine is more setup for backyard track racing.

Well, nothing really. Was just inspired by a few forum posts and thought there would be a better option when running these on 4S...
Didn't mean it in a rude way or anything. More just wondering what your goal is, what you'd like to get from it. Higher speed vs more torque? Lower temps? Etc.

I think people mostly run on 4s in the 6s trucks because it's more cost effective and easier on the truck in the long run. If you want power, I'd definitely stick with 6s (y)

Didn't mean it in a rude way or anything. More just wondering what your goal is, what you'd like to get from it. Higher speed vs more torque? Lower temps? Etc.

I think people mostly run on 4s in the 6s trucks because it's more cost effective and easier on the truck in the long run. If you want power, I'd definitely stick with 6s (y)
The Mojave is by far the heaviest of the 6s rigs I have, and as such is the only rig I run exclusively on 6s. My Typhons are run on 4s, as 6s is just too much for such a light buggy. My NOTO also runs 4s, as I don’t do huge sends and it’s still a challenge to keep the front end down.

I run my Talion on 4S stock pinion and diff gears without issues. Still has great speed and very controllable. Just as a simple equation, lower KV = higher torque and burst speeds. Higher KV higher top end and lesser torque. Running 6s is fun too but higher risk of blowing up parts unless your a decent RC operator, like sending it down range long distances (refer to the high risk note). Mine is more setup for backyard track racing.
Your equation is not necessarily true. If the motors are the same size but only differ in KV then the torque will be the same but the higher KV motor will pull more amps and spin faster thus running hotter. If you want more torque you need a bigger or longer can. Lower KV motors can take more volts thus pulling less amps for the same speed. So it really depends what you are trying to accomplish with a certain amount of volts. I came back to edit this post. To answer your question I would gear up the stock motor to the speed you want and check temps. If its too hot you need a bigger can on 4s.

Last edited:
I have run my Infraction on 3S. No bad issues at all. Runs just fine. My street is narrow and I try not to bang up my RC's. 3S is perfect for running on the street in front of the houses. :)

Back