8s Felony...need advise on gearing for 1100kv bashing. Thx

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeeZeeRc

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
20231228_160154.jpg

Gearing Advice needed for 8s 1100kv Spektrum motor. Thx

Attachments

• 20240113_180316.jpg
    20240113_180316.jpg
    304.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 20240113_180304.jpg
    20240113_180304.jpg
    331.1 KB · Views: 40
I recommend an RC Speed gear calculator. And buy a range of gears to have on hand based on your calculator results. What gears work for some may not work for others.
Need to know exactly how you plan on driving this.
Seem's your 1100kv 8s setup is best for speed running TBH. With merely drifting and Hooning around, you can toss in several gears to toy with, just wing it. Better have many spare tires on hand for this. 8s power will tear them up this way. Easy to blow out tires within one pack.
>>> Do you have a speed target in mind with a proper place and a Radio with long range for this? If speed running this.
You can break triple digits easily with 1100kv on 8s. Baby steps at first, with lower gearing and lower speeds is best. Work your way up. Because there are many other factors making it hook up for those faster speeds. Carnage will be a thing otherwise. Been there. My Lim and Infr. (6s)
What ESC do you have there?
A Firma 160?

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the feedback! This is alot of good knowledge and advice. Everything on there is from the 8s Kraton V2. And I'm using the Dx5c...it says it ranges 1/4 mile but I highly doubt it.. And no I'm not doing the speed run ...just wanted something more powerful than the 6s. It's just nice to have more power lol.
And the lowest gear I can get on with the motor slide push all the way is a mod1 30t.

Try a gear that fits and test for yourself. For just Hooning around it doesn't matter at all. All that power will slide you around no matter what.;)
I was successful trashing tires well enough with just 6s power myself.:LOL:

8s Speed runner guys will often use Limitless "Spool" Spur gears for pinions. FWIW. If that helps.

Kool thx again...will definitely do that as soon as it dries up here! Got 4 of sets of tires from Ali Express for $30 ...I'm ready. Lol

The Felony uses 53/107 in the rear and 42/100 in the front. The gears in the Diff's are not the same. (GP6 & GP5) How bad is it on the center Diff to run same size tire all the way round? I found a set of 53/100 for $25. So now I think that I need to change the rear gears to GP5. I have tried to speed run it just to see how fast it would go. Going fast is easy but if you hit the brakes, it goes out of control, I think that it's the gearing slowing the rear tires down faster than the front. or the other way round.

The Felony uses 53/107 in the rear and 42/100 in the front. The gears in the Diff's are not the same. (GP6 & GP5) How bad is it on the center Diff to run same size tire all the way round? I found a set of 53/100 for $25. So now I think that I need to change the rear gears to GP5. I have tried to speed run it just to see how fast it would go. Going fast is easy but if you hit the brakes, it goes out of control, I think that it's the gearing slowing the rear tires down faster than the front. or the other way round.
Running the same tires will make the rear spin slower than the front. Indeed very bad for all the diffs. Rear will stop quicker than the front and hammer on your diffs.
Thanks so much for the feedback! This is alot of good knowledge and advice. Everything on there is from the 8s Kraton V2. And I'm using the Dx5c...it says it ranges 1/4 mile but I highly doubt it.. And no I'm not doing the speed run ...just wanted something more powerful than the 6s. It's just nice to have more power lol.
And the lowest gear I can get on with the motor slide push all the way is a mod1 30t.
Stock it's 16T on a 46T spur
6S on a 2050kv motor will do 50k rpm max

Kraton spur is 39T (i think)
8S on a 1100kv motor will do 34.6k rpm max
With a 30T that would gear it for +/- 100mph which could be a bit excessive for hooning around full throttle. Try it and keep an eye on the motor/esc temperatures. I would not advise a spool for bashing. If required you could try to find a bigger spur. I am not really familiar with the kraton 8S center diff, i am guessing it's to beefy to replace it with the original Felony diff.

Kraton 8S spur is 47T the old EXB did come with a 39 as an option.

On my Felony, I have a HW 4990 1650kv and I run 30T and it Rips.

+1
Many think you can merely put on 42/100's at the Rear of a Felony. (n) That's fail.
Not being familiar with the Felony.
You can't under drive one axle and over drive the other one . Its not a thing with Full time 4WD platforms.
>>> Except with slow RC Crawlers. And for certain reasons, has a distinct benefit on the rocks.

I just want to clarify the speed run that I made was on stock original tires. I would never attempt to run it on the 53 100s without changing to the GP5 rear differential.

Stock Spur Gear is a 46T and I used a 30t pinion for my setup. On 8S you can blow the tires off the rims at will! This is not a good thing. I have been running it on 6S and at 80% Power.

20240225_130626.jpg

Stock Spur Gear is a 46T and I used a 30t pinion for my setup. On 8S you can blow the tires off the rims at will! This is not a good thing. I have been running it on 6S and at 80% Power.
I decided to change it to HW 1100KV. 50T Spur and 30t pinion. Been bashing and no blown tires yet.

That is a nice looking rig. :cool:

No..I got the motor new from Amazon..since the price was cheaper than ebay. $140 shipped

Oh I sold the spektrum ESC and motor/heatsink/fan combo for 260 recently on ebay, thought that might have been mine

My bad I thought u were talking about the 1100kv HW that I just swapped out. I actually got my Spektrum set up from Jennysrc.com.

Back