Kraton 8s exb Max5 800kv Gearing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sumnig66

Reaction score
Hey guys, I apologize for so many posts. But I'm just trying to get this dialed in. I have a Kraton 8s exb with the Copperhead 2s Max5 esc with a 800kv motor currently running a 36t pinion gear and a stock spur gear I believe? Want to run this truck as a basher but not planning on sending it 30 feet in the air. Any gearing suggestions or should I leave it?
Snapchat-2140279725.jpg
Snapchat-1411667566.jpg
Snapchat-1932213883.jpg

I’d start at 34/39 and get closer to 1:1 from there, get it where the temps are happy and you’re happy with the power.
I got the truck used and am not exactly sure where to start so Thank you! Any chance you can help me identify the spur gear that I have? There is no markings on it so I'm assuming it's stock

I got the truck used and am not exactly sure where to start so Thank you! Any chance you can help me identify the spur gear that I have? There is no markings on it so I'm assuming it's stock

Make a mark on a tooth and then just count the teeth until you get back to your mark. From the angle of the picture, it looks like it’s the 47T stocker, but being an EXB it should have came with both a 39T and a 47T.

Sense you bought the truck used, I’d definitely go over all three diffs and make sure everything is hunky dory before you run it too much. I like 1million front, ear plugs in the center and 500k in the rear but everyone is different.

Make a mark on a tooth and then just count the teeth until you get back to your mark. From the angle of the picture, it looks like it’s the 47T stocker, but being an EXB it should have came with both a 39T and a 47T.

Sense you bought the truck used, I’d definitely go over all three diffs and make sure everything is hunky dory before you run it too much. I like 1million front, ear plugs in the center and 500k in the rear but everyone is different.
Good thinking with the mark on the tooth only makes sense 🤔

And as for the diffs that is exactly what my plan was also how is that setup been treating you 1m,plug,500k

following..i got a question, i just picked up my old kraton 8s exb after selling it off to a buddy,m but he don't use it so i bought it back, and last year before i sold it, i had heat issues. but it has a max 5 1100kv with 20t/47 and it gets hot and shuts down after 5 min. i don't have a fan yet but i plan to do so, do you think the 1100kv is not enough for the kraton? would i benefit from the 800kv?

following..i got a question, i just picked up my old kraton 8s exb after selling it off to a buddy,m but he don't use it so i bought it back, and last year before i sold it, i had heat issues. but it has a max 5 1100kv with 20t/47 and it gets hot and shuts down after 5 min. i don't have a fan yet but i plan to do so, do you think the 1100kv is not enough for the kraton? would i benefit from the 800kv?
I really don't know but I haven't had a problem with overheating With my 800kv It might also have to do with something with gearing

I'm confused.. I just bought a v1 K8S. It's got the 4985 1250kv motor, 8mm shaft and a 23t pinion. I haven't counted the teeth on the spur but, pretty sure it's the standard 47t.
I wasn't particularly impressed by the speed, but it is smooth as silk on take off.. I put a 5687 1100kv in it, along with a 26t pinion, better, definitely more giddyup. Not alot more top end, but enough I think for me.
What I'm confused about is, on Arrma RC site, the v1 K8S supposedly comes with a 17t pinion, mine has 23t. Then, the v2 K8S which is now equipped with the 5687, only has a 23t pinion from factory? Sounds really slow, are they?

You aren't geared high enough. You can start by throwing the 39t spur on. 😎 👍
Does anyone gear up the stock 47t? I plan on starting with 39p/47spur and having a 44p on hand as well. I figured I’d try to see how the stock spur does before swapping out for 34/39 and/or 39/39 w/ max5 800kv

Am I asking for trouble with the rotating mass of the 47t?
I'm confused.. I just bought a v1 K8S. It's got the 4985 1250kv motor, 8mm shaft and a 23t pinion. I haven't counted the teeth on the spur but, pretty sure it's the standard 47t.
I wasn't particularly impressed by the speed, but it is smooth as silk on take off.. I put a 5687 1100kv in it, along with a 26t pinion, better, definitely more giddyup. Not alot more top end, but enough I think for me.
What I'm confused about is, on Arrma RC site, the v1 K8S supposedly comes with a 17t pinion, mine has 23t. Then, the v2 K8S which is now equipped with the 5687, only has a 23t pinion from factory? Sounds really slow, are they?
My v1 (I think v1) came 17t pinion 47t spur and I swapped out for 23t and had heat issues. Slapped fans on there that didn’t last very long, so I put stock fans back on, Threw a 21t on there and thought it was fine for bashing for a bit. 23t def had more grunt all ‘round, but the 21t was fine for bashing.

Are you using the stock mount? I swapped the 4985 stock for a 5687 from a v2 EXB, then put a 26t pinion on. Doesn't look like there's much room left on the stock mount for much more maybe a 30t at the most? I think you're better off dropping the spur down to the 39t first. I really doubt you can fit a pinion over say 30t with the 47t spur.
But yeah, my v1 came with 23/47, weird. Ran good, well, for 2 packs in 30 degree weather, was too slow, so I dropped the 5687 1100kv with the 26t pinion in. In hindsight, maybe I should've tried a 26t pinion with the 1250kv? Should run hot I would think, but with winter here now. No telling.

Are you using the stock mount? I swapped the 4985 stock for a 5687 from a v2 EXB, then put a 26t pinion on. Doesn't look like there's much room left on the stock mount for much more maybe a 30t at the most? I think you're better off dropping the spur down to the 39t first. I really doubt you can fit a pinion over say 30t with the 47t spur.
But yeah, my v1 came with 23/47, weird. Ran good, well, for 2 packs in 30 degree weather, was too slow, so I dropped the 5687 1100kv with the 26t pinion in. In hindsight, maybe I should've tried a 26t pinion with the 1250kv? Should run hot I would think, but with winter here now. No telling.
I’ve got the m2c motor mount for large pinions. I should be okay from 30-45t pinions

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back