Outcast About to buy an Outcast 4s v2.5- talk me out of it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitch

Reaction score
I have watched every single video on it and am choosing it over:
Kraton 6s EXB
TC Kagama
TRX Maxx
Hobao hyper MTX

and other cars I was considering from durability.

I decided on the OC4 because maintenance is easy and seems less “complex” and easier to drive long term vs a 6s (am I right?)

I also plan to get about $200-300 in upgrades, from hot racing and M2C.

Am I making a mistake?

I have watched every single video on it and am choosing it over:
Kraton 6s EXB
TC Kagama
TRX Maxx
Hobao hyper MTX

and other cars I was considering from durability.

I decided on the OC4 because maintenance is easy and seems less “complex” and easier to drive long term vs a 6s (am I right?)

I also plan to get about $200-300 in upgrades, from hot racing and M2C.

Am I making a mistake?
It’s a great rig for sure. Get yourself an upgraded servo saver right off the bat. The kimborough 124 large is the one a lot of folks are using, you just have to trim it a bit. The stock servo saver is truly awful. That’s its only weakness. Don’t be tempted by the hot racing aluminum one, many have had centering issues with it after a few runs.

Kimbrough 124 Large Heavy Duty Servo Saver 23, 24 & 25 Spline Drive https://a.co/d/jk4Utoe

That’s honestly all it needs. It’s a great rig right out of the box.

buy a maxx and never look back.

I threw the servo saver right in the trash and got the 25t servo horn from a Kraton and afffixed it to the linkage. Steers like. Dream now

buy a maxx and never look back.

I threw the servo saver right in the trash and got the 25t servo horn from a Kraton and afffixed it to the linkage. Steers like. Dream now
Maxx wouldn't be a bad choice but I'd like to know how you threw the servo saver in the trash as its an integrated part of the steering and not mounted on the servo. It would be bad advice to get rid of it. The truck would steer great right up to the moment you hit something hard and destroy the servo itself.
Yes.

You want the Notorious.
I don't think a Notorious 4s V2.5 is available and it would be virtually identical to the Outcast 4s 2.5 other than the cover anyway..... if you are making a case for the Notorious 6s then sure, it would be a great choice.

Last edited:
Maxx wouldn't be a bad choice but I'd like to know how you threw the servo saver in the trash as its an integrated part of the steering and not mounted on the servo. It would be bad advice to get rid of it. The truck would steer great right up to the moment you hit something hard and destroy the servo itself.

I don't think a Notorious 4s V2.5 is available and it would be virtually identical to the Outcast 4s 2.5 other than the cover anyway..... if you are making a case for the Notorious 6s then sure, it would be a great choice.
The piece of garbage that is screwed on the top of the

Actually the servo saver is mounted on the servo, just like most other servo savers. So I took my little hex Driver, unscrewed it, and removed the steering link from it. Then I went to my lhs and found a servo horn that would get me close and mounted that directly to the servo. Will my steering be destroyed if I hit something hard?? Or will my hinge pins rip my chassis to pieces like has happened 3 times already in the last month with this truck?? A servo sounds easy and I would take that trade off at this point. Is the truck fun to drive? Yes very! Will it be a useless pile of plastic within a few years?? I feel like it might be. Very limited aftermarket support, very limited parts availability. Will it flip better than a maxx? Maybe so. The question I have is will you be able to get parts for it in five years?? Like a maxx 👍🏻👍🏻
IMG_1804.jpeg

It has been said that
Once is luck,
Twice is coincidence,
Three times is a pattern.

The first one went in the trash. Chassis number 4 is on the truck now. We aren’t talking hard hits here.

I’ve got so much time invested in the thing now I couldn’t stand to take a loss and It is great fun to drive. We did the M2C Hinge pin mod as seen on RC4US.

at least with our XMAXX, we break something new every time!😂 variety is the spice of life 😂😂

Last edited:
Actually the servo saver is mounted on the servo, just like most other servo savers. So I took my little hex Driver, unscrewed it, and removed the steering link from it. Then I went to my lhs and found a servo form that would get me close and mounted that directly to the servo. Will my steering be destroyed if I hit something hard?? Or will my hinge pins rip my chassis to pieces like has happened 3 times already in the last month with this truck?? A servo sounds easy and I would take that trade off at this point. Is the truck fun to drive? Yes very! Will it be a useless pile of plastic within a few years?? I feel like it might be. Very limited aftermarket support, very limited parts availability. Will it flip better than a maxx? Maybe so. The question I have is will you be able to get parts for it in five years?? Like a maxx 👍🏻👍🏻
I am not sure where you are located but parts availability for Arrma is very good here in the US.... there is lots of support and most of the parts are shared between several models. By the time parts aren't available, your car will definitely be a pile of plastic and we will have moved on to newer things because they are shinier.

As for the servo saver.... on the Maxx it's an integrated part of the steering rack, on the Arrma 4s it's the piece of junk on top of the servo, and needs to be upgraded. Apparently you are actually saying that you have an Arrma but are recommending the Maxx because you keep breaking your 4s vehicle but that is not apparent from your original post. I don't want to derail this thread any further.

I am not sure where you are located but parts availability for Arrma is very good here in the US.... there is lots of support and most of the parts are shared between several models. By the time parts aren't available, your car will definitely be a pile of plastic and we will have moved on to newer things because they are shinier.

As for the servo saver.... on the Maxx it's an integrated part of the steering rack, on the Arrma 4s it's the piece of junk on top of the servo, and needs to be upgraded. Apparently you are actually saying that you have an Arrma but are recommending the Maxx because you keep breaking your 4s vehicle but that is not apparent from your original post. I don't want to derail this thread any further.

I own a 04sv2.5. That is the vehicle I was speaking of with the servo saver that went in the trash. And yes I am here in the US. I haven’t found a reliable source of parts for this vehicle yet. Lots of “backorder” . I went in the LHS with every intention of buying a maxx. I was swayed by LHS due to the fact I’m sure there is more margin on ARMA.

I actually would like to be able to enjoy the vehicle for some time. I don’t have to get the latest and greatest. I don’t have money to throw away

Some of the main reasons why I like my Outcast 4S v2 are:
- It’s FAST
- It can take a beating
- I don’t need a lot of area to rip it around at full trigger like my XRT
- My LHS has awesome parts support

I replaced the stock servo and don’t run a servo saver.
My truck has taken some hard hits and landed funky with zero carnage.

Just my .02

I guess it is all relative to where and how well we drive.
These RC's will always break. More for some than others.
I think many don't have a realistic approach to how durable these are. Selling parts is part of the RC business.
So buying them over and over is sometimes the norm. You can spend countless $$ trying that latest and greatest part as a Fix, All to no avail. Just emptying your wallet in the process. Tone down driving, this will give you better durability.
A SS delete with a fixed servo arm can work, if you have a good servo, and it's EPA is properly set. Driver skill with this setup counts most. Deleting the SS will always give you Best steering. (y) Just it's not for everyone however, unless you don't mind the Risk of $eating$ Servos. The choice is yours. Been there.

I guess it is all relative to where and how well we drive.
These RC's will always break. More for some than others.
I think many don't have a realistic approach to how durable these are. Selling parts is part of the RC business.
So buying them over and over is sometimes the norm. You can spend countless $$ trying that latest and greatest part as a Fix, All to no avail. Just emptying your wallet in the process. Tone down driving, this will give you better durability.
A SS delete with a fixed servo arm can work, if you have a good servo, and it's EPA is properly set. Driver skill with this setup counts most. Deleting the SS will always give you Best steering. (y) Just it's not for everyone however, unless you don't mind the Risk of $eating$ Servos. The choice is yours. Been there.
Servos sure are easier to swap than chassis on the outcast! It is a fun truck!!

Well if you can get by with a $34. DS3235 35kg servo, how I fly with all of mine. Or similarly priced, Then it would NOT get that expensive I guess. Needs to be a strong durable servo whatever you choose. Not necessarily an expensive one at all.
Buying $75.-$150. servos makes no sense if running no SS. Especially for hard bashing. They will all break at some point without any SS. Your mileage will vary. But Steering will be optimum for sure.

Well if you can get by with a $34. DS3235 35kg servo, how I fly with all of mine. Or similarly priced, Then it would NOT get that expensive I guess. Needs to be a strong durable servo whatever you choose. Not necessarily an expensive one at all.
Buying $75.-$150. servos makes no sense if running no SS. Especially for hard bashing. They will all break at some point without any SS. Your mileage will vary. But Steering will be optimum for sure.
The stock servo with an aluminum horn is a night and day difference. And they are only $19.99 on jrc I believe

Yeah without a SS, the servo will muster up all it can give the steering. Def need an alloy arm/horn for best reuslts.

>>>Some might argue that a plastic Arm/horn affords a slight bit of safety. I agree. That would be a decent compromise for some trying this. I rather break a cheap plastic arm than buy a whole servo. Some food for thought.

Buy the new Kraton 6s exb rtr, this way if you don't become buy RC's like a crazy person there is no need for another 6s or smaller.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back