Kraton ADU Racing Parts!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Again, I have lived most of my life in Michigan, we use salt on our roads. I use salt on my walks after I shovel. Never had a car do that. I’ve seen plenty of rust, but never seen it devour a frame component.
Yep, rust belt here too.. hate the salt!! I'd rather drive on snow and ice to tell the truth. Between the cost of buying, applying and the environmental impacts, salt only belongs in the ocean or on the table as far as I'm concerned. I refuse to use it on my property, wife doesn't like me not using it but, it just makes a mess and ruins stuff.
Rusted subframes? Way of life in the rust belt I'm afraid, surprised you've never heard of it. I hear about it regularly TBH. Brand of vehicle has nothing to do with it either IMO. Chevy, Ford, Honda, Hyundai..it doesn't matter, they're all built to last 10 years or less. Planned obsolescence.. they don't want a car to last too long.

I started with the Basherqueen braces with 7075 ends, at almost double the price. The all threads are epoxied into the CF shaft, and it ripped right out. I’ve yet to break one of these solid piece CF braces. I also switched all my shock towers to CF as well. The TI shock towers are 86 1/2 G’s, while the CF are only 24g’s.View attachment 362724
That's quite difference. I've been thinking on CF for my heavy b@$tard M2C'd K6. Yeah, shimming is everything. I shim the crap out of the diffs. For arms, I don't fuss lately. The RPM ones I used for the heavy pig are always too big, then I just sand em' down to fit in tight. As for my newest build...I quit caring. But CF has been catching my eye lately.

View attachment 362722

Those braces do look beefy, for sure! After doing lots of testing, and working on a lot of crawlers, I’ve completely changed what I look for in aftermarket parts. If it’s going up top, then it’s going to be carbon fiber in my rigs. Going CF up top really lowers the CG, and improves handling, jumping, etc. almost all my rigs use the cheap CF braces on eBay, but I do shim them, but I shim everything 😂
CF Brace
View attachment 362723
No CF for me thanks, too needy. Need to keep it dry, or it turns to mush. I prefer aluminum and plastic, neither has much reaction to water or mud.. I don't care if she's on the heavy side..😉🍻

Yep, rust belt here too.. hate the salt!! I'd rather drive on snow and ice to tell the truth. Between the cost of buying, applying and the environmental impacts, salt only belongs in the ocean or on the table as far as I'm concerned. I refuse to use it on my property, wife doesn't like me not using it but, it just makes a mess and ruins stuff.
Rusted subframes? Way of life in the rust belt I'm afraid, surprised you've never heard of it. I hear about it regularly TBH. Brand of vehicle has nothing to do with it either IMO. Chevy, Ford, Honda, Hyundai..it doesn't matter, they're all built to last 10 years or less. Planned obsolescence.. they don't want a car to last too long.
True.

You guys are doing something wrong then. It isn't the cars. I have never had that issue, had a lot of cars, lot of high mileage cars, some over 200k. Rust, yes. Frames or subs, never had one rust through. Never met anybody with that issue either. And 45 years ago I carried a master mechanic license. My Jeep Patriot has over 100k, is 14 years old, no issues.

You guys are doing something wrong then. It isn't the cars. I have never had that issue, had a lot of cars, lot of high mileage cars, some over 200k. Rust, yes. Frames or subs, never had one rust through. Never met anybody with that issue either. And 45 years ago I carried a master mechanic license. My Jeep Patriot has over 100k, is 14 years old, no issues.
I was up in Washington for 4 years. I found the key was to take my car to the car wash with an undercarriage spray anytime after a snow storm.

Last edited:
And where might you have spent all those years? Not in the rust belt I presume? It's way of life around here, you can wash it as many times as you like, but in the winter, the water doesn't dry. It just freezes and expands, causing more issues than it solves. I suppose a nice heated garage can help, but how many have that luxury? I've had this Scion for 3 years now, subframe was already rotted through when I bought it. My fault for not putting a $3k car on a lift before buying I guess. It's good to go for at least a couple more years, till the rear body mounts give up. They're pretty cheesy already too. Truth be told, you'd have a hard time finding a 15 year old car in my region that isn't rotted through somewhere, usually the subframe. Thing is, I can go spend another $3-5k and end up worse off than the Scion, so, I'll keep it goin till the suspension falls off, LOL. 😎

And where might you have spent all those years? Not in the rust belt I presume? It's way of life around here, you can wash it as many times as you like, but in the winter, the water doesn't dry. It just freezes and expands, causing more issues than it solves. I suppose a nice heated garage can help, but how many have that luxury? I've had this Scion for 3 years now, subframe was already rotted through when I bought it. My fault for not putting a $3k car on a lift before buying I guess. It's good to go for at least a couple more years, till the rear body mounts give up. They're pretty cheesy already too. Truth be told, you'd have a hard time finding a 15 year old car in my region that isn't rotted through somewhere, usually the subframe. Thing is, I can go spend another $3-5k and end up worse off than the Scion, so, I'll keep it goin till the suspension falls off, LOL. 😎
Save that money and just buy a bigger RC and a wagon! 😂
IMG_5351.jpeg

Metro Detroit. I said that from the start. Can’t get much more rust belt.

Out of curiosity I went to see what could be done. Apparently there’s a sealant you can use. All of the sites about Maine rust just say to wash after every storm, and/or every 10 days. Even if the water freezes to the frame, it’s still far better than brine sitting on the metal. The issue is they have to lay the salt before the snow for it to be effective. Which from my experience was when everyone was driving around getting prepared. Then the car gets parked for the duration of the storm, giving the rust plenty of time to set in. Best bet may be to not drive right before a storm, or spray it off after you do.

Out of curiosity I went to see what could be done. Apparently there’s a sealant you can use. All of the sites about Main rust just say to wash after every storm. Even if the water freezes to the frame, it’s still far better than brine sitting on the metal.
Yeah, there's all kinds of sprays out there, Crown treatment, Fluid film.. I guess subframes only rot out in upstate NY.🤷‍♂️ must be in the air or something. Moving on.

Yeah, there's all kinds of sprays out there, Crown treatment, Fluid film.. I guess subframes only rot out in upstate NY.🤷‍♂️ must be in the air or something. Moving on.
Ya' don't wanna seal anything. Holds in the salt. Best to rinse the crap out of an underbody and oil the crap out of it. Some take used motor oil and coat everything under there with that. Heard of folks even taking inner door panels off to put in petroleum jelly to keep the door jams from rusting. I may try all that. Been looking for another vehicle yesterday and today.

Never done anything special. Typically the cars are undercoated, which slows things down for a few years. After that rust happens. Don’t keep trying to fight it. It will coat the metal and from there it slows way down. That’s why so many bridges you see are built with rusty metal.
After a snow or ice storm passes get a car wash with underbody wash. Detroit uses lots of salt on its roads, the city sits above a salt mine.

Ya' don't wanna seal anything. Holds in the salt. Best to rinse the crap out of an underbody and oil the crap out of it. Some take used motor oil and coat everything under there with that. Heard of folks even taking inner door panels off to put in petroleum jelly to keep the door jams from rusting. I may try all that. Been looking for another vehicle yesterday and today.
probably depends if you’re already rusting before you seal. If you’re rusting already you’d need to do a rust primer, which turns the rust into a paintable surface. They you can likely seal successfully. Same principle as paint really. The paint seals well until it’s compromised.

I personally would not use motor oil, I’d use something that dries, and doesn’t attract more stuff, like the salt. Something like a WD40 silicone lubricant would be useful for your RC’s and your car. Once it dries it will do a pretty decent job of protecting from rust. The silicone lubricant is not petroleum based, so it’s safe for plastics too. It does a great job lubricating parts the contact plastic in my RC’s. If it’s strictly metal on metal I use lithium grease, but it destroys plastic.

Last edited:
Metro Detroit. I said that from the start. Can’t get much more rust belt.
Hey, I just wanted to clarify. When I said way of life about subframes rotting out, I in no way meant it was common, but rather in last couple years I've heard at least 3 examples of good running cars either being sold or scrapped due to frame rot issues. ✌

Hey, I just wanted to clarify. When I said way of life about subframes rotting out, I in no way meant it was common, but rather in last couple years I've heard at least 3 examples of good running cars either being sold or scrapped due to frame rot issues. ✌
It’s really difficult for me to imagine someone never hearing about frame rot. It’s very, very common here in New England. It simply comes down to the age of the vehicle and how many winters it’s seen. Frame rot took out two of my favorite trucks ever. A 1972 Dodge Power Wagon with a 340 in it and a stake bed, and my 1993 Ford F-100 with that absolutely fantastic 4.9 liter straight six. Both trucks were very well maintained, underbody washed fairly frequently in the winter months (I used to shoot for once a week at least) and were tip top mechanically and running beautifully when rust finally took them out. On the Dodge it was both primary frame rails right behind the cab in the middle of the truck. On the Ford it was both front primary frame rails and the outriggers.
I pulled the engine and trans from the Dodge and sold it, and called a guy to come and get the truck for scrap, which was $200.00 at the time. He came with an old school style tow truck, hooked her up (front wheels off the ground) and off he went. He drove back into my yard about ten minutes later and asked to use my phone so he could call his manager and have him send a flat-bed because my truck broke in half about a mile from my house.
And doesn’t he remember Toyota buying back several years of SR pickups, tens of thousands of vehicles, because of frame rot? How that can anybody say they’ve never heard of the phenomenon is beyond me, especially if they live in the rust belt.

It’s really difficult for me to imagine someone never hearing about frame rot. It’s very, very common here in New England. It simply comes down to the age of the vehicle and how many winters it’s seen. Frame rot took out two of my favorite trucks ever. A 1972 Dodge Power Wagon with a 340 in it and a stake bed, and my 1993 Ford F-100 with that absolutely fantastic 4.9 liter straight six. Both trucks were very well maintained, underbody washed fairly frequently in the winter months (I used to shoot for once a week at least) and were tip top mechanically and running beautifully when rust finally took them out. On the Dodge it was both primary frame rails right behind the cab in the middle of the truck. On the Ford it was both front primary frame rails and the outriggers.
I pulled the engine and trans from the Dodge and sold it, and called a guy to come and get the truck for scrap, which was $200.00 at the time. He came with an old school style tow truck, hooked her up (front wheels off the ground) and off he went. He drove back into my yard about ten minutes later and asked to use my phone so he could call his manager and have him send a flat-bed because my truck broke in half about a mile from my house.
And doesn’t he remember Toyota buying back several years of SR pickups, tens of thousands of vehicles, because of frame rot? How that can anybody say they’ve never heard of the phenomenon is beyond me, especially if they live in the rust belt.
Yeah man!! I sure remember the Toyota frame debacle!! The Ferd issues too! Heck my 08 F150 has 77k on it and literally falling apart before my eyes.. shame. This AM on my way to work a turkey took out my xB windshield!! Dang, I really didn't need that $300 repair bill, ughh.. when it rains..it pours, LOL.

Yeah man!! I sure remember the Toyota frame debacle!! The Ferd issues too! Heck my 08 F150 has 77k on it and literally falling apart before my eyes.. shame. This AM on my way to work a turkey took out my xB windshield!! Dang, I really didn't need that $300 repair bill, ughh.. when it rains..it pours, LOL.
Dude, that sucks. I hit a buzzard in Texas that took out my windshield. Scared the sh’t out of me, it sounded like a bomb went off!
Here in Vermont they just started following Massachusetts’ lead in using that liquid brine and chemical solution on the roads before a storm. It’s rotting vehicles worse than ever. The joke is that you can drive into your driveway in the winter, pull the car into the garage, and listen to it rot.

Dude, that sucks. I hit a buzzard in Texas that took out my windshield. Scared the sh’t out of me, it sounded like a bomb went off!
Here in Vermont they just started following Massachusetts’ lead in using that liquid brine and chemical solution on the roads before a storm. It’s rotting vehicles worse than ever. The joke is that you can drive into your driveway in the winter, pull the car into the garage, and listen to it rot.
Yeah, I admit I wasn't paying attention when I struck the bird. Was doing around 60 on a country two lane, wow, that scared the crap out of me! safety glass shards everywhere! Poor bird, I went back to look, all I found were feathers. Traffic is moving right along through that stretch, woods on either side.. plus I never get to work early, so I had to move on. Feels bad TBH.
The NYS DOT is using the brine too, county and local, not yet. I've heard the brine is worses also.. just great!

Back