Outcast "Advanced" maintenance

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitch

Reaction score
Any tips or tricks for keeping the car going longer with no problems? Obviously keeping up with diff fluids and shock fluid, how about keeping bearings healthy/how to protect them better? What about tips for keeping dirt and grime out of the wrong places? I may get a new arrma soon and want to take care of it.

Side note: Arrma 6s EXB or Arrma 4s v2.5 for durability at the skatepark? Yes, they both can break. But for flips and some tumble wumbles?

Thanks

Any tips or tricks for keeping the car going longer with no problems? Obviously keeping up with diff fluids and shock fluid, how about keeping bearings healthy/how to protect them better? What about tips for keeping dirt and grime out of the wrong places? I may get a new arrma soon and want to take care of it.

Side note: Arrma 6s EXB or Arrma 4s v2.5 for durability at the skatepark? Yes, they both can break. But for flips and some tumble wumbles?

Thanks
I would go 4s for the lightness and I love mine for the backflips.

I have the 6S Outcast and it seems to break less on 4S than on 6S. Its like the unplanned stops are bit more sudden and eventful.....

From the maintenance side of it, loose screws/bolts and bearings seem to be main culprits for failures IME. Keep good bearings dry, clean and oiled should lead to less downtime.

:unsure:....advanced maintenance??? So like, repair it before it breaks?

I have the 6S Outcast and it seems to break less on 4S than on 6S. Its like the unplanned stops are bit more sudden and eventful.....

From the maintenance side of it, loose screws/bolts and bearings seem to be main culprits for failures IME. Keep good bearings dry, clean and oiled should lead to less downtime.
Thanks! What do you oil your bearings with?

Thanks! What do you oil your bearings with?
I use a light oil for the bearings similar to a sewing machine oil. Can't remember the brand as I decanted it all into small squeeze bottles. Youtube has a lot of videos on cleaning and oiling. Techniques are a little different depending on if the bearing has shields and the type of material.
When it comes to bearing oil usage, less is more. Too much will attract and retain dust/dirt turning the oil into a grinding compound.
:unsure:....advanced maintenance??? So like, repair it before it breaks?
Well you can't repair before it breaks, but you may be able to mitigate a break. :D

Advanced may not be the best descriptor here, maybe "preventative" is a better word to help lengthen the lifespan of components (that is how I have read the post).

Or maybe "experienced maintenance" is a better choice. The more you work on your rig the more you learn and you can see patterns for wear/failure.

Last edited:
Don't get it wet/muddy. Number one thing that will foul your bearings, get dirt in areas it shouldn't be, rust parts, etc. Yes, it can be fun to play when it's wet/muddy, but it almost always ends up with at least one seized bearing and sometimes worse. If you do get it wet, make an effort to clean/dry it. Doesn't have to be pristine. Spin out the wheels and gears and wipe it down. Just don't leave it all wet to soak and rust. Same goes if you run in fine dirt or near the beach in salt air. (Don't run near the beach, just don't do it, salt air messes with everything.)

For "advanced maintenance", inspect it. Roll your wheels, feel and listen to your gears before and after runs. Identify and maintain areas that are getting "crunchy" or creating more resistance before they can cause further damage. Don't let anything rust/seize up. Replace gears that are worn down before they strip completely, send shards flying, and shred everything else around them. Gears will start clicking, grinding, whining when they are about to go. Stop. Don't ignore it. Once a gear is stripping, if you keep running, you're also going to strip the gear it meshes with.

In general, I'd say knowing how to identify areas that are getting "crunchy" early and not waiting for things to get worse is the best "advanced maintenance." You should get to know how the diffs, gears, and other moving parts feel when everything is working well. And if you notice something, don't just ignore it and run it. Of course, I've done this. Sometimes you get away with it, but other times you end up with a bigger problem that you know you could have avoided.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back