ALL NEW 1/5 8S VIGILANTE from REDCAT

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That was pretty awesome! Really not that much carnage. I would buy one if I had the space to run it.
I'm quite impressed by the Vigilante myself. It doesn't seem as "crash test" resistant as the Xmaxx, but I am quite confident I would have a good time with it. I'm a ways off on buying another 8s rig ATM, also pretty content with my Xmaxx and K8S. They each have different traits that I enjoy them both for.. the Vigilante seems to fall right in the middle between them I feel. Pretty resilient and forgiving, like the X, and pretty stable handling for it's size, similar to a K8S or O8S..
I also agree about space limitations. The Xmaxx is pretty comfortable in small spaces, the Kraton 8s, not so much. It definitely needs more space to strut.

I'm quite impressed by the Vigilante myself. It doesn't seem as "crash test" resistant as the Xmaxx, but I am quite confident I would have a good time with it. I'm a ways off on buying another 8s rig ATM, also pretty content with my Xmaxx and K8S. They each have different traits that I enjoy them both for.. the Vigilante seems to fall right in the middle between them I feel. Pretty resilient and forgiving, like the X, and pretty stable handling for it's size, similar to a K8S or O8S..
I also agree about space limitations. The Xmaxx is pretty comfortable in small spaces, the Kraton 8s, not so much. It definitely needs more space to strut.
I think ThunderRC was just going to keep hammering this thing until it finally suffered major damage. Those concrete & asphalt landings from that high up with a vehicle that big is a recipe for eventual failure. It's no Xmaxx, but for being a completely new entry by Redcat, it totally held it's own. If it took all of that abuse, it should take my 1-2 foot jumps with ease lol.

I think ThunderRC was just going to keep hammering this thing until it finally suffered major damage. Those concrete & asphalt landings from that high up with a vehicle that big is a recipe for eventual failure. It's no Xmaxx, but for being a completely new entry by Redcat, it totally held it's own. If it took all of that abuse, it should take my 1-2 foot jumps with ease lol.
I agree, he was on a mission to see what it could take. I applaud him.. no way I can afford to trash rc's like that. I like being able to get to see what they can withstand without footing the bill. LOL

If I would have landed with my upgraded Xmaxx into concrete like that, I probably would have destroyed the rear bulkhead at minimum. Heck. I cracked the chassis on my X-Maxx with a small jump and I landed right on its butt. No lie. It was a while back, but it all depends on the landing :
20221026_134223.jpg
20221026_134205.jpg
20221026_134353.jpg
20221026_134641.jpg
20221026_134721.jpg

Nothing against an xmaxx, I would have liked to nab one for several years at this point. I was just never able to justify the cost. Watch a friend purchase one and spent another few hundred to get it to where it was reliable. I think he is in ~$1300 total. No hate on traxxas, but I'm not against someone else using a similar formula and providing a similar package with a different value set, such as for the budget-restricted folks like myself. Far be it from Arrma, traxxas, redcat, or anyone else to think they should be the only ones with X style chassis, Y components, made out of Z material.

And yeah I agree, if I had the money, i'd buy all of them 😁
I spent twice the amount on the Arrma 8s trucks that I spent on my upgraded Xmaxx, and the Xmaxx is still more durable than both my Outcast 8s and EXB K8S. Those two arrma rigs are in pieces right now. The Xmaxx is still in one piece. Same kind of bashing, same kind of landings, same kind of everything. Even the gearing. yeah. Thinking back, if I had to do it again, I would have never bought the Arrma 8s trucks after spending more than $4000 between those two trucks. Now with the XRT, it even got WORSE, because the only thing is I've done to that thing is the upgraded monster electronics, the rear wing mount, the motor mount and the drive cups. That's it! And I've been beating the crap out of it with the almost no issues at all. Are the Xmaxx and XRT prices worth it? For me and the fun factor, plus the durability, after a few minimal upgrades, absolutely. Just my two cents 👍

Last edited:
Back