Aluminum diff housings q’s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exc3l

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast EXB
  2. Typhon 6s
Okay so I have order up a whole set of aluminum diff housings and one of them arrived so I installed it in the front. Now I went to shim it because it was a tad bit too loose for my liking. When I tried to put the diff in with the shims it would not fit at all. Trust me, I put close to 25 mins trying to get it in. Any of you guys have trouble with that? Now it wasn’t loose to the point it would strip the gear (I think) but I would still like to shim it a lil bit
Edit: I was only using 1 shim trying to get it perfect but it wouldn’t fit at all

Okay so I have order up a whole set of aluminum diff housings and one of them arrived so I installed it in the front. Now I went to shim it because it was a tad bit too loose for my liking. When I tried to put the diff in with the shims it would not fit at all. Trust me, I put close to 25 mins trying to get it in. Any of you guys have trouble with that? Now it wasn’t loose to the point it would strip the gear (I think) but I would still like to shim it a lil bit
Edit: I was only using 1 shim trying to get it perfect but it wouldn’t fit at all
Good question. I like to see the answer from others....

I am curious if diff shims come in different sizes 0.1mm, 0.2mm, 0.3mm, etc to

Good question. I like to see the answer from others....

I am curious if diff shims come in different sizes 0.1mm, 0.2mm, 0.3mm, etc to
They do come in different sizes but I am pretty sure don’t go above 0.2 mm. Mine are extremely thin and it still won’t fit. Sucks because I wanted to bash before winter and now I gotta deal with this

If you’re sure it was going in concentric on both sides, either pull a shim in the diff assembly from the right side. Or..

Shim behind the input gear…

CNC Aluminum housings have much tighter bell-curve clearances vs an injection molded composite.

If you’re sure it was going in concentric on both sides, either pull a shim in the diff assembly from the right side. Or..

Shim behind the input gear…
No shim in the right side which is why I am surprised it won’t fit with any shim.

How would I shim behind input gear. Place it between the bearing and the gear?

Try using finer thinner shims. Which are you using? Stockers?
I also use Tekno TKR1222, for my standard 6s diffs. They are .1mm thick. Hope this helps.
I don't run alloy bulkheads myself.
But I heard those that do, usually end up also shimming the Input Gear toward the Main gear, to get it just right.
:cool:
FWIW, I usually shim my diffs on the tighter side. Just not slammed tight. One or 2 teeth touching at rotation is not tragic. And just allow the gears to break in to each other . They get smoother, at least when using my plastic bulkheads. These are not precision drivetrains. Even with upgrade parts, you can't always get it perfect.

https://www.amazon.com/TEKNO-RC-LLC-13x16x-1mm-Shims/dp/B00F8OQ2NC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1IWHN9PCJN1TW&keywords=tekno+shims&qid=1697904442&sprefix=tekno+shims,aps,137&sr=8-1

Last edited:
Try using finer thinner shims. Which are you using? Stockers?
I also use Tekno TKR1222, for my standard 6s diffs. They are .1mm thick. Hope this helps.
I don't run alloy bulkheads myself.
But I heard those that do, usually end up also shimming the Input Gear toward the Main gear, to get it just right.
:cool:

https://www.amazon.com/TEKNO-RC-LLC-13x16x-1mm-Shims/dp/B00F8OQ2NC/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1IWHN9PCJN1TW&keywords=tekno+shims&qid=1697904442&sprefix=tekno+shims,aps,137&sr=8-1
Using stockers but I have them in different sizes. I think it’s good now but I will look into it. Input gear seems perfect and if I shim it would get too close to the diff case. Appreciate it(y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back