Aluminum gearboxes (6s)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTitanium

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. BigRock 4x4
  3. Granite Grom
  4. Kraton EXB
  5. Nero
  6. Infraction 4x4
I’ve been researching alloy gearboxes for the longest of time as I didn’t want to make the wrong decision. This being said, I recently purchased a set of Vitavon units. Although I have seen the HR units at local hobby shops first-hand, I do not own a set.

Hot Racing: Three-piece design that must be purchased separately to get the full benefit of this unit… which gets expensive (running an aluminum gearbox with a plastic main cap defeats the purpose, although the sway bar cover isn’t mandatory). The larger front bearing is a nice feature, for sure. Machine work seems acceptable, but a few sharp edges need to be deburred. Anodizing is tough.

MSRP: $106USD for all three components.

Vitavon: Sold as a three-piece design. Machining is “meh” as I’ve witnessed a few tool marks due to vibration. Threads are healthy. No sharp edges. Many swear by this company. Truthfully, the HR units have a nicer finish. Offered in three colors.

MSRP: $90USD sold as a bare assembly.

Arrma EXB: I’m glad Arrma finally released alloy gearboxes. But, I’m disappointed that they decided to use the front 5x11x4mm bearing instead of the larger 5x13x4mm like HR and Vitavon have.

MSRP: $100USD sold as a bare assembly.

There are other manufactures out there, for sure, but they haven’t caught my attention. Feel free to add a quick review/thoughts.

Last edited:
I have a handful of these things and they’ve been perfect. They also use (and include) the larger bearing. About $25 shipped for all three parts. The only downside is that shipping to the U.S. takes a couple weeks.

https://a.aliexpress.com/_msIkMQg

I have a handful of these things and they’ve been perfect. They also use (and include) the larger bearing. About $25 shipped for all three parts. The only downside is that shipping to the U.S. takes a couple weeks.

That’s great. Very reasonably priced, but no mention of the oversized front bearing.

But wait!

billy mayes GIF

Jennys has the new K6EXB Aluminum take off complete with diff, input, and all bearings for $104. 👍

As an added bonus the new diff has new longer outdrives. Gone are the days of axles popping out (I hope).

Thank you JRC! I expected them to start that one a bit higher since just the case is $100.

Last edited:
I only have the half gearbox and re use the plastic cap. Because i believe plastic gives a better seal vs aluminum in this scenario. So far so good diffs free of crap. If tolerances are not right it would just let dirt in. I have no idea about the arrma gearbox cant be worst
But wait!

billy mayes GIF

Jennys has the new K6EXB Aluminum take off complete with diff, input, and all bearings for $104. 👍

Thank you JRC! I expected them to start that one a bit higher since just the case is $100.
They mistyped EXB by EBS🤣

I only have the half gearbox and re use the plastic cap. Because i believe plastic gives a better seal vs aluminum in this scenario. So far so good diffs free of crap. If tolerances are not right it would just let dirt in. I have no idea about the arrma gearbox cant be worst

I am thinking that was intentional 😆

But wait!

billy mayes GIF

As an added bonus the new diff has new longer outdrives. Gone are the days of axles popping out (I hope).

I ordered two sets this morning. Got them at $103.

But wait!

billy mayes GIF

Ohhh I'm sure Jennys will be jacking up the prices on those gearboxes soon, just like they did with the BR6S bodies.

I was going to suggest these as well. From everything I can see they are 100% copies of the HR design. I have 2 HR units on my Outcast both have been on it since 2018.

How much so?
The very first day Jennys posted the Big Rock bodies on their site they were $82.00, now they're up to $144. I have a feeling they'll raise the price on those gearboxes soon once they see the demand.

The very first day Jennys posted the Big Rock bodies on their site they were $82.00, now they're up to $144. I have a feeling they'll raise the price on those gearboxes soon once they see the demand.
Supply and demand.

I was going to suggest these as well. From everything I can see they are 100% copies of the HR design. I have 2 HR units on my Outcast both have been on it since 2018.

I forgot to mention I did manage to strip one of the holes that the wing mount goes through but it was an easy fix with a lock nut.

Awesome info. Have it bookmarked for the future. It might be needed.

Also checked Jenny's. Ordered a few things. I'll wait for the hype to calm down. But, have a couple ideas churning in my brain. It's how I am. let you folks know if it pans out. Duh! If it doesn't, forget I mentioned it. Lol.

I have 4 of these. Fit and finish are great.
I tossed 3 GPM gearboxes in the trash, because of bad alignment of the input bearings and replaced them with these.

I have 4 of these. Fit and finish are great.
I tossed 3 GPM gearboxes in the trash, because of bad alignment of the input bearings and replaced them with these.
Aren't those like $80 each?

TBH, you only need the main Bulkhead, the main advantage of an alloy diff. Plastic stocker cover just keeps the Diffs BB's positioned in place. BB's are captured in the alloy main piece anyway where its shimmed. Shimming is more consistent with the Main alloy piece.
I am very into my sway bars so I may run the alloy SB cover, Plastic stockers flex very much , so the sway bar action is lame. I got the HR SB retainers.

The new EXB alloy Bulkhead doesn't appear to use a Larger Outer Input gear BB. As every other Brand does.
Am I wrong, or I missed that?
Anyone?:unsure:

Last edited:
Back