Typhon Another Typhon Brushless Conversion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rowdyray

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Granite Grom
  4. Granite Mega
  5. Kraton 6s
  6. Typhon 3s
  7. Typhon Mega
Might be boring to some of you but, I'm having fun. Plenty of things to do in the future. Call it a work in progress. So far.....

Got the 57T .08 mod slipper, casing and heavier motor plate. Installed the bearing on the driveshaft. Got a Spektrum system pulled from a Kraton 4s. 120 Amp ESC with 2400KV motor. Came with a 13T pinion. Put a 15T on it. Lame. Put an 18T on it. That woke it up but, did not keep up to my buddy's stock Big Rock. Made several speed passes in the street and ran it hard through an uncut field until battery cutoff. It was 80F and the ESC and motor were barely even warm to the touch.

Think there's more in it. Going to try a 20T pinion. Oh, and I'm only running it on 3s. 5200 Zee's. I don't feel like tearing out the drive train every other run. Just want something to keep up to the other 3s vehicles. With enough wheel speed to be able to control the front end on the new found track and maybe some light bashing. I'm turning the Granite into the "do crazy things with" vehicle.
20220903_170110.jpg
20220903_170206.jpg

Picked up a 20T pinion. Give that a try this weekend.

Still torn if I want to trugify it.

Nothing boring about this. Nice Work. (y)

Went through the ESC settings. Set the steering end points, throttle and brake. Should have done it right away. The first time was a shake down. See if I had everything hooked up correctly.

Installed the 20T pinion. That really woke it up! Loads more fun. I can now control the front with wheel speed. Ran it hard until battery cutoff for 2 packs. Motor was hot but, not burn your fingers hot. I'll dig out the IR temp gun but, don't think I'm in any danger zone. Left the fans run for about 5 minutes and it was luke warm. Heat sinks are doing their job.

Part of me wants to trugify it but, haven't had a buggy for a while and should be a blast on the track. We'll see. Happy with where it's at right now. Need to get back to the Granite.

Went crawling yesterday at the LHS. Brought this with to show my son the improvements I've made. Knew it was fast but, never expected this result. Several employees brought out their RCs when they closed up. A 4S Kraton, 6S Notorious and a 6s Felony. They were racing each other across the parking lot. I quick threw in a battery and lined up with them. They started laughing. Not for long. Kept up to the Kraton, right on the tail of the Noto and the Felony smoked us all. They were like wait, wait, wait...who are you fooling with that Mega body? Then I was the one laughing.

It is a Mega! Showed them what was in it and they just shook their heads. Ran around with them until battery cutoff. They could put their finger on the motor or ESC. Agreed it was perfectly fine. Told them I was happy where it's at right now. They said, "Heck yeah, leave it alone". My son drove it and thinks it'll beat his MAXX. Need to get one of those GPS's.

Yes, it doesn't have metal drive shafts, shocks or tie rods. Can upgrade those if and when they break. But, buggies aren't really meant for bashing. I could trugify it but, cheaper to buy something meant for that. Think I'll keep this for the tracks. Maybe get some street tires and use it for speed runs with friends.

So...if you're looking for an affordable way to convert a Mega Typhon, I highly recommend this combo. At least for now.

Went crawling yesterday at the LHS. Brought this with to show my son the improvements I've made. Knew it was fast but, never expected this result. Several employees brought out their RCs when they closed up. A 4S Kraton, 6S Notorious and a 6s Felony. They were racing each other across the parking lot. I quick threw in a battery and lined up with them. They started laughing. Not for long. Kept up to the Kraton, right on the tail of the Noto and the Felony smoked us all. They were like wait, wait, wait...who are you fooling with that Mega body? Then I was the one laughing.

It is a Mega! Showed them what was in it and they just shook their heads. Ran around with them until battery cutoff. They could put their finger on the motor or ESC. Agreed it was perfectly fine. Told them I was happy where it's at right now. They said, "Heck yeah, leave it alone". My son drove it and thinks it'll beat his MAXX. Need to get one of those GPS's.

Yes, it doesn't have metal drive shafts, shocks or tie rods. Can upgrade those if and when they break. But, buggies aren't really meant for bashing. I could trugify it but, cheaper to buy something meant for that. Think I'll keep this for the tracks. Maybe get some street tires and use it for speed runs with friends.

So...if you're looking for an affordable way to convert a Mega Typhon, I highly recommend this combo. At least for now.
Sounds like your having fun with it. I'm doing about the same setup on my python 3s. Installed a 3-4s 2400 kv motor today and Im hoping my 130 amp esc comes tomorrow. I stuck a 18 tooth pinion in today but have a 20t and 23t on the way. Got some grp tires on the way also. I'll be running this in parking lots on 4s and I'm sure I'm going to fixing allot of drive train stuff. It will be fun while it lasts. Enjoy yours.

Last edited:
I'm definitely having fun with it. Hope you do too. Sounds like you've got a good plan. Let us know how it works out.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back