What ESC: XLX2 vs HW MAX4

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal

I'm on one today
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Limitless
  3. Kraton 6s
1/5 scale 2WD road car, I'm in the middle of converting from a 2-stroke to brushless. Bought a behemoth TP5870 from @Jeppyjep but I can't decide on the ESC. Funny how big the motor is but it looks normal in this car. Help me decide what's gonna be best, xlx2? Max4? Something else? Planning on running 8s only. A pic next to a limitless:

1000001107.jpg

Last edited:
1/5 scale 2WD road car, I'm in the middle of converting to brushless. Bought a behemoth TP5870 from @Jeppyjep but I can't decide on the ESC. Funny how big the motor is but it looks normal in this car. Help me decide what's gonna be best, xlx2? Max4? Something else? Planning on running 8s only. A pic next to a limitless:

View attachment 264201
What Kv is the motor?

More than the Max4? Are they close?

Sounds fun. What is it?
Yep! Max 4 is 300A cont and I'm pretty sure the XLX2 can do 600 according to logs people post around here.

Yep! Max 4 is 300A cont and I'm pretty sure the XLX2 can do 600 according to logs people post around here.
The 600amp logs are a spike. Short bursts. I pulled well over 400a on a MMX8s before switching to the xlx2. The reason I asked above what Kv he’s running is the xlx2 doesn’t jive with 6 pole motors above 1440kv.

The 600amp logs are a spike. Short bursts. I pulled well over 400a on a MMX8s before switching to the xlx2. The reason I asked above what Kv he’s running is the xlx2 doesn’t jive with 6 pole motors above 1440kv.
Yea I'm pretty sure his motor is at that limit or below. I kind of remember seeing that motor for sale because I was considering it too. I actually pulled 400 amps on an mmx8s and got those error messages in the logs for the first time recently too haha.

Looks cool, probably will be a fun build! I know there was a TP motor that didn't do well married to a XLX2 but that's the ESC I'd go with.

Selective reading? :LOL:

Wow even radiocontrolpower is out of stock. They would have been best bet too as they ship out of Vegas and will solder for you. Seeing as you are in Nevada that would have been fast af 🤣

I haven't shopped at Tower in 15 years!
Wow even radiocontrolpower is out of stock. They would have been best bet too as they ship out of Vegas and will solder for you. Seeing as you are in Nevada that would have been fast af 🤣
You da man but believe it or not Amain in Chico is actually closer, I get my stuff from them in 2 days. It's around 3 hours from me.

I haven't shopped at Tower for 15 years!
Ehh. It’s Horizon Hobby now. Not like the days of old. I remember looking through their catalog around 1990 as a 10 year old just drooling over everything. But at least it’s in stock.

Ehh. It’s Horizon Hobby now. Not like the days of old. I remember looking through their catalog around 1990 as a 10 year old just drooling over everything. But at least it’s in stock.
Well what's up there fellow 42 year old 😂

Edit: I really try my best to support Amain as they've done me real proper the last couple years.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back