Anyone else ever had their diff eat the gasket?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems the 8s diffs have loosening issues more so?
I don't own an 8s. But i'm all over the 8s threads.
Even worse, 1/5 scale power combos and the heavy weight is too much for the stock hardware. The diffs use 3.5mm screws and a plastic diff cup with 4 plastic tabs to key into the ring gear..... which are a joke as they break right off. Those 3.5mm screws are made of cheese despite being labeled 12.9 grade which back out and snap exactly as I mentioned above. I also tried using the EXB diff case but that does not have the 4 locking tabs so the 4 diff screws snapped clean off in 2 packs lol. Perhaps these parts would last with a stock power system, but not anything more.

The only solution to bulletproof 8s diffs for me was to use vitavon v2 diff cups shimmed for 0 slop in and out. They're 7075, use 4mm screws, and have the 4 keyed tabs. On my K8s I also did the vitavon bulkheads and driveshafts because the stock parts were destroyed when the diff disassembled itself running a max5 and leopard 1050kv. My O8s is almost stock running the max5 800kv combo with only the vitavon diff cups so I can see how everything holds up, so far it has been solid for 6 hard packs on the drivetrain.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back