Big Rock Are wheel hex extenders good or bad for speed runs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

King blitz

Don't just modify . customize .
Premium Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Outcast 6s
  4. Vendetta
  5. Infraction 4x4
So I bought red aluminum control A arms for my BRcc which in the discription said they would fit arrma Big Rock blx v3 3s so when I got them they were not the same size as my stock. I contacted the seller and he said they should fit.yes he was right
Fit like a charm but they are short..the front and rear are all shorter.i contacted other brands like gpm and they gave me a size also shorter than my stock.so I come to the conclusion that after market aluminum arms are shorter almost like they belong on the first big rock .anyways since I have these I figured what if I install these then buy hex extenders to bring the wheel back out to where my stock is .my question is since I only do speed runs and nothing else would the extensions be bad for speed runs? Also since I converted the 14mm hex already to a 17mm would the extension go right on the 17mm adapters?

100 is my goal on my BRcc so if it's working for you then hopefully it will for me.so Would I be able to putt extensions on these 17 mm adapter's?

IMG_20220828_142512483.jpg

IMG_20220829_202508638.jpg

First off they do fit but are from the v1 and v2 that's why they are shorter. Also, alum arms are bad. They bend and will probably bend hinge pins in a bad crash. Do not use them. Alum arms are heavier than stock so they aren't better for high speed. Depends on what hex extenders you are using. If they are wobbly or even have the tiniest amount of play then no, they aren't good for high-speed runs. I would just run what you got and see what you can do :D
You will hit 100 but you need a spool

In my experience, extenders are rarely good on any vehicle. I have almost no experience in speed run cars (other than my 4Tec 3.0 Corvette suedo-speed run car), but I would assume they put excessive stress on the stub axles. On crawlers, they change (essentially destroying) the turning (ie. the "pivot point) of the wheels.

The only vehicle I've successfully installed them on is the Traxxas Rustler 4x4 I converted into a 1/8 E-buggy, and that's probably because they didn't really move the wheels 'outward'...it was more to convert the 12mm hexes to 17mm. On another Rustler 4x4, I added 15mm extenders...still 12mm hexes...and the end result was a vehicle that almost got completely destroyed. Of course, that was also partly due to the power of the 4600kv motor...but, if it hasn't been for the extenders, I'm certain the damage would have been less.

First off they do fit but are from the v1 and v2 that's why they are shorter. Also, alum arms are bad. They bend and will probably bend hinge pins in a bad crash. Do not use them. Alum arms are heavier than stock so they aren't better for high speed. Depends on what hex extenders you are using. If they are wobbly or even have the tiniest amount of play then no, they aren't good for high-speed runs. I would just run what you got and see what you can do :D

My stock arms already have original play.probably about 1or 2mm .I'm not concerned about that .and crashing .not concerned about that either as I only run on a dead air port near my house .my concern is that I already am using a adapter from 14mm to 17mm so if I got the extenders would I be able to install them on the 17mm adapters?I'd prefer to use a 17mm and extender all in one piece rather than using 2 peices. i don't like that idea.i would put the aluminum red control arms on and just use the shorter wheel track but I'm not liking that look .for speed runs I prefer wide wheel track.shorter wheel track is best for track racing so you can cut corners better.in speed runs wide is better for stability.and straightness

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back