Arrma 8S Axle Pin Repair write up with part #s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankca24

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Fireteam
  2. Infraction
  3. Limitless
  4. Outcast 4s
  5. Outcast 8s
  6. Outcast EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Vendetta
Im sure Im not the only one who keeps snapping the axle pins and is sick of spending 20$ on a new axle. I figured out a way to repair them with some basic hand tools. I will list the part numbers I used and tools. Once I got my method down re installing the new pins is very easy. Its a lot more time consuming to remove the old pins I found. I have measured the Pins out to be 3.5x18. Arrma does not sell these to my knowledge so I found some made by red cat racing that are 3.5x18.8. You can also use the Arrma Pins for the hubs! they are 3.5x24 so you would have to shave some metal off once your done.

Disclaimer - I haven't actually tested out the integrity of these yet. All the heat cycles could weaken the steel making them more prone to break in the field.

Part #s.
Arrma 3.5x24 Hub Pin - ARA713030
Redcat racing 3.5x18.9 - RED116246

Tools needed :
1. Propane torch or some sort of heat source
2. 3mm punch tool of some sort. Could be a homemade tool to insert in a vice or a hand held punch that would require a large hammer.
3. A large mallet. I used a 2.5 lb mallet.
4. A vice gripe or shop press. Could get a way with a hand held vice and a good setup to hold the other end down while you hammer the pin out.
5. a 1/4' socket or close to size as a receiver for the old pin.

Tips To remove -

1. Heat makes it much easier to remove. I would heat the end up till it was near red in color.
2. Place the hot end on top of your 1/4 socket, Insert the punch and hammer out the pin. You will probably have to heat it up a few times to get it out.

Tips to install -

1. DO NOT heat up the new pins! They get very soft once heated and will just bend instead of inserting into the axle
2. Heat the axle till its red in color
3. Gently start the new pin into axle without burning your hand.
4. Insert into your vice grip with the socket on the receiving side and the new pin sticking out top.
5. Press the new pin in. Its a little hard to get started but once it starts to go in you will hear a "ting" and then just keep running it in until your satisfied.

Ive included a pic of the 3 Ive so far repaired as well as some of the tools needed.
IMG_2714.jpg
IMG_2678.jpg
IMG_2721.jpg

IMG_2690.jpg
IMG_2692.jpg
IMG_2715.jpg

I too kept breaking them (usually on the rears) so after fixing them a few times like this post I just ended up getting a spare set of those cheap gpm ones for about 15 bucks each.

Dirt cheap... And I haven't broken one of em since! I bash hard in gravel Pitts and motocross tracks so I'm pretty happy!

Any update? How did these hold up?

I have upgraded to 4mm pins and have not had a problem since, check out my get the word out forum. have tried with the 3.5 pins and they still snap on rear. 4mm is ticket

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back