Big Rock Arrma Big Rock 3S servo failure>>> servo change and red blinking light

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m71295

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone ...looking for advice here. We were driving and the rc had lost control on a left turn, we thought it was the servo and therefore we replaced it with the Savox 1210SG. Towards the end of the replacement the rc started to hit the throttle by itself which made no sense as no one was touching the throttle. When we screwed in the final bits we tested it and the red light started blinking on the esc, we changed our battery but it still was blinking, any advice on what it could be? Could we have damaged the esc while handling? Could it be maybe that we messed up the connection in the box ? I'm having suspicions that the stock may be okay. I tried to improvise with the servo saver since the new servo is 25T and I had a successful attempt (I drilled the original servo saver to get the cap off and replaced the cap with a 25T cap) but now I'm regretting it since the original saver is already ruined.
Does someone know what may be the issue ? Newbies here but I do understand technology so I can understand what may have happened. I just need your experience and advise guys!

UPDATE: Blinking light was from the remote. The throttle wasn`t set up in the middle. Looking for new servo saver now.

Last edited:
Razor I respect you and everything you say and know. You know a hell of a lot more about RCs than I do. But I don't think the Kimbrough 123 servo saver is too weak. Of course it is not as strong as the Kimbrough 124HD but it is comparable to the stock Arrma servo saver. I don't know the exact specs and I might be wrong (I probably am wrong) but I have the Kimbrough 123 in my Typhon 3s with big oversized 6 inch tires (150mm tires) and a Power Hobby 20kg high speed servo and it works great. I don't have any problems with it rubbing or not turning well at all. And I am not easy on the Typhon one bit. Run it pretty hard. Maybe it's the difference in servos, the Power Hobby servo is a pretty darn good servo. But, bottom line is that I have absolutely no problems at all with the Kimbrough 123 servo saver and Power Hobby servo.

The servo saver is Kimbrough 123 and it is the only option there was. It is incompatible but it's what will work for now. Are you kidding me ? How can a saver be weak. It's just a piece of plastic. I saw the sound actually may be normal from other videos. You have any idea if any metal servo savers are compatible with te big rock ? I cant find the hot racing in stock. And what's left for the Arrma saver ? I'll be getting that one too which is still plastic ? Where is the logic to be weak ?
Here's the Hot Racing Arrma servo saver

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Racing...-/264960306978?_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286

Razor I respect you and everything you say and know. You know a hell of a lot more about RCs than I do. But I don't think the Kimbrough 123 servo saver is too weak. Of course it is not as strong as the Kimbrough 124HD but it is comparable to the stock Arrma servo saver. I don't know the exact specs and I might be wrong (I probably am wrong) but I have the Kimbrough 123 in my Typhon 3s with big oversized 6 inch tires (150mm tires) and a Power Hobby 20kg high speed servo and it works great. I don't have any problems with it rubbing or not turning well at all. And I am not easy on the Typhon one bit. Run it pretty hard. Maybe it's the difference in servos, the Power Hobby servo is a pretty darn good servo. But, bottom line is that I have absolutely no problems at all with the Kimbrough 123 servo saver and Power Hobby servo.
I tested the servo today and it was great, i`ve just set the steering to be less but anyways who needs all of it on a monster truck. Funny thing though, i ran into another issue. I drove pretty hard today and had a go pro attatched for the first time and hit all the gas and even though i knew it`s bad i hit it all at once and after a hard grass session in the park the driveshaft or some gears are making like a khrrrr sound when the truck moves. What did i most likely break ? Here we go again but i can`t wait to learn more. Unfortunately i have 2 days off each week like most of the people and don`t like spending the whole day doing fixes but i`ll do something tomorrow to see what the issue is so i can know what to order.

It's all good. What I was trying to explain is why the tires are not turning all the way when the servo is turned when on the ground, but then they do when you lift them up. I didn't mean "too weak" as in you can't drive it like that.

I like to run the strongest/tightest servo saver I can get away with for the servo/conditions. Honestly, the stock v3 servos are so crappy I wouldn't try to run a stronger saver on them, the stock black one is probably already too strong... 🤣

It's all good. What I was trying to explain is why the tires are not turning all the way when the servo is turned when on the ground, but then they do when you lift them up. I didn't mean "too weak" as in you can't drive it like that.

I like to run the strongest/tightest servo saver I can get away with for the servo/conditions. Honestly, the stock v3 servos are so crappy I wouldn't try to run a stronger saver on them, the stock black one is probably already too strong... 🤣
Good deal bud. I understand what you meant now. Maybe it's cause of my servo overcoming the weaker servo saver. I have a Power Hobby 20 kg/.08 sec @ 6v servo. It handles the Kimbrough 123 and oversized tires pretty well. Would probably do even better with the Kimbrough 124hd. I have the Kimbrough 124hd on my Big Rock and it handles great.

I brought the Amazon 25kg servo and the Kimbrough 124. My question is do you attach the stock arm on the servo saver or the one that came with the new servo?

I tested the servo today and it was great, i`ve just set the steering to be less but anyways who needs all of it on a monster truck. Funny thing though, i ran into another issue. I drove pretty hard today and had a go pro attatched for the first time and hit all the gas and even though i knew it`s bad i hit it all at once and after a hard grass session in the park the driveshaft or some gears are making like a khrrrr sound when the truck moves. What did i most likely break ? Here we go again but i can`t wait to learn more. Unfortunately i have 2 days off each week like most of the people and don`t like spending the whole day doing fixes but i`ll do something tomorrow to see what the issue is so i can know what to order.
Probably your rear diff input gear. If you keep it stock and don't upgrade to metal, it's a good thing to have as spares.

Screenshot_20210428-000937_Chrome.jpg

Back