Granite Granite, new servo problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
I have a Granite that is practically brand new and the servo died. I got a couple of cheapo replacements on Amazon, one for the Granite and another for my Big Rock. These are the ones:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SWW9NDR?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07L9T4DL1?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

Problem is, I have tried both in the Granite and neither one has the power to turn the wheels lock to lock unless they aren't touching the ground. It has a hard time turning right especially. It is installed with a Kimbrough large HD servo saver and the stock BLX100 esc which has 6v BEC.

I have installed the red 25KG one in my Big Rock, which has a Hobbywing QuicRun 10BL120 G2 ESC with BEC set to 7.4v, and besides being a little slow it works fine.

Is this a problem with the servos being junk with way overrated specs, the BLX100 ESC having only 6v, or both? I can still return the blue 35kg one and get something better quality but I would like to keep it under 50 bucks. Any thoughts or recommendations?

TBH, I run the DS3235 Servos in all my 6s rigs, which have way larger wheels and are quite heavier. Your 4x4 stocker servo can't hold a candle to what you have there from AMZ. You will never get full 100% lock to lock servo when on the ground if that is what you are looking for with the SS that the 4x4's have. This is normal. When running there should be no issues. Unless your SS/SS spring has crapped out. More common.
It's largely the Servo Saver IMHO that causes this. More of a 4x4 platform inherent issue.
FWIW, No Servo ever meets its rated specs. A 25kg servo will probably run at 15-18 kg's, 35kg will probably get you 25-28kg give or take. Based on the BEC voltage. From my experience, that 25 Kg AMZ servo is going to be a bit faster than the 35 kg one, BEC volts being the same. I have both these servos. Just is what it is. Lower torque servos tend to be faster in general. What I noticed. Not the rule. But commonly seen. Getting into the higher end $100.+ servos things change. Perhaps not necessary for bashing use IMHO. It's your wallet. Been the $whole$ Savox, Hitec, and Futaba route before. Servos are all consumables no matter the price. I rather have a cheap DS3235 on the side as a spare. Cheap enough. I have 9 DS3235s in all my Arrma 6s rigs. All are fine . Not the most precision of them all. But for basher rigs just fine. The only bad DS32365 servo I had was a new one, DOA out the box. AMZ made good and I got another, no hesitations. Crap happens with all brands, inlcuding 2 new Sav 1210's, horrible noisey crap. Struggled to center properly and Savox Cust serv. sucked. 3 months later sent mine back untouched. Told me SOL. To pound it. 2 brand new 12010's. never used. A waste of $150 coin for the 2. I'll stay wth the AMZ cheapos, as many call them.

Last edited:
Just go to JennysRC.com and nab a Spektrum S652. 16.50. Running them in my Granite, Big Rock and Typhon 3S RCs. Cheap, plug and play and work great. The 665 would be even better BUT.... then you need a new horn. Then watch a video of how to set your end points.

TBH, I run the DS3235 Servos in all my 6s rigs, which have way larger wheels and are quite heavier. Your 4x4 stocker servo can't hold a candle to what you have there from AMZ. You will never get full 100% lock to lock servo when on the ground if that is what you are looking for with the SS that the 4x4's have. This is normal. When running there should be no issues. Unless your SS/SS spring has crapped out. More common.
It's largely the Servo Saver IMHO that causes this. More of a 4x4 platform inherent issue.
FWIW, No Servo ever meets its rated specs. A 25kg servo will probably run at 15-18 kg's, 35kg will probably get you 25-28kg give or take. Based on the BEC voltage. From my experience, that 25 Kg AMZ servo is going to be a bit faster than the 35 kg one, BEC volts being the same. I have both these servos. Just is what it is. Lower torque servos tend to be faster in general. What I noticed. Not the rule. But commonly seen. Getting into the higher end $100.+ servos things change. Perhaps not necessary for bashing use IMHO. It's your wallet. Been the $whole$ Savox, Hitec, and Futaba route before. Servos are all consumables no matter the price. I rather have a cheap DS3235 on the side as a spare. Cheap enough. I have 9 DS3235s in all my Arrma 6s rigs. All are fine . Not the most precision of them all. But for basher rigs just fine. The only bad DS32365 servo I had was a new one, DOA out the box. AMZ made good and I got another, no hesitations. Crap happens with all brands, inlcuding 2 new Sav 1210's, horrible noisey crap. Struggled to center properly and Savox Cust serv. sucked. 3 months later sent mine back untouched. Told me SOL. To pound it. 2 brand new 12010's. never used. A waste of $150 coin for the 2. I'll stay wth the AMZ cheapos, as many call them.
Thanks, there's lots of good insight in there @SrC good to know that the wheels on the ground test is not very meaningful. I picked up a HobbyStar HCS-4521WP from my LHS to compare it to the others. It is better than the Amazon servos with the stock ESC 6v BEC. I put the DS3235 in my Big Rock with its Hobbywing ESC and 7v BEC and you are right, that servo is a beast.

Just go to JennysRC.com and nab a Spektrum S652. 16.50. Running them in my Granite, Big Rock and Typhon 3S RCs. Cheap, plug and play and work great. The 665 would be even better BUT.... then you need a new horn. Then watch a video of how to set your end points.
Friends don't let friends bash without setting their end points.

Last edited:
Back