Granite Arrma granite 4x4 blx v3 pinion upgrades?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TLRxADMIN

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I' am due to replace my granites chassis soon and believe now is a good time to change the pinion or spur gear since everything will be out.
My truck Has factory electronics except from the servo. Are the any recommendation on what tooth i can change the pinion or spur gear to, to extract more top end speed?
Am i right in thinking this will also help with stopping the truck from wheeling as much?

**EDIT**
Will I need to change the spur gearing as well? so if I add teeth to the Pinion, Should I reduce X amount of teeth off the spur?

I have only been in this hobby for about a month now, so if i sound stupid on this thread please forgive me!

Many thanks,
TLR

Last edited:
So yes the pinion size will give you more top end and may reduce the wheelie a little. It will also put more stress on your motor and esc. If you are running on relatively flat ground like pavement or hard pack dirt not as big of a deal. If you want less wheelie reduce the punch level on your esc. Stock is level 3 back off to level 1. Pick up a temp gun at your local hw store and check temps during your run. Try to keep the motor about 170f or less. Don't want to fry your motor.
Stock is a 15t maybe try a 17-18t and check temps on the first few runs.

So yes the pinion size will give you more top end and may reduce the wheelie a little. It will also put more stress on your motor and esc. If you are running on relatively flat ground like pavement or hard pack dirt not as big of a deal. If you want less wheelie reduce the punch level on your esc. Stock is level 3 back off to level 1. Pick up a temp gun at your local hw store and check temps during your run. Try to keep the motor about 170f or less. Don't want to fry your motor.
Stock is a 15t maybe try a 17-18t and check temps on the first few runs.
This is good advice. Don't make a drastic change right away.

On my Typhon 3s I bought an inexpensive set of five different sized pinions from Amazon and tried them to see which one suited my driving style and kept the motor temps in line. I then purchased a new pinion in the size that worked best, and I kept the original set of five for future experiments in gearing. I've used that set at least one more time, so I've gotten my money's worth.

I have an upgraded mega, and I must say, with stock 3s box pinion (15t) this is more than enough top speed for me. But if you run mostly on open areas with pavement and such, you could probably use the top speed. Not sure if I have reached it yet on mine. I have installed a fan on the motor, and it's rarely 20-25°C here in the summer even, so temp have not been an issue for me with this setup.

You can look up the vorteks parts on Jenny’s and get its pinions. It comes with an 18 and 20t, I think. I threw it in with a big order for mine. It’s only like $8 for both. Vendetta/infraction come with a 20 and 28t pinion for $10.

Just curious why you are changing the chassis after only a month? Is it cracked?

Just curious why you are changing the chassis after only a month? Is it cracked?
a mixture of reasons. i have damaged the underside on the battery side (basically made a hole), and so now anything can shoot up now and hit the battery which I'm not keen on. I was going to go stock however I've seen a shell I want and fits the wheel base of the typhoons etc, so will be building it up that way.
Thanks to everyone that has commented! i really appreciate the advice, from what I've gathered its best to get a temp reader and to get a multipack of different sized pinions to see what best suits my style of driving and the temps on the motor!

Really appreciate the advice given! :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back