Kraton Arrma steel shock pivot balls

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrjr71

The Old Guy
Premium Member
Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Infraction
  2. Kraton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
  4. Infraction 4x4
I purchased the Lunsford shock pivot balls that were recommended here on the forum, and they are a bit too small. My search for pivot balls to replace the stock composite ones continues. Is anyone using the Arrma steel shock pivot balls? If so, how do you like them?

You can use any 6mm balls for the rod ends. Do you mean the upper shock balls? If so, I'm unsure what size they are, although something is telling me they're approx 6.8mm but don't quote me on that!

The upper shock balls need more play in the aluminium shock cap than if they were plastic. If they're still too loose, you could try using heat shrink on the shock balls then trimming off the excess with a hobby knife

"A bit too small" is exactly how I would describe Arrma shock balls. They have to be in order to fit. There's play built-in. Real life pivot balls are swaged in for no play, but nobody's going to that extent for toy cars (yet). So ours are drop-in, and if you're not careful, drop-thru.

I decided to get the Arrma steel shock pivot balls in the Ebay link grihn provided. They are the same price everywhere, but this listing has free shipping.

I had no idea Arrma made a steel shock ball. Was the composite shock ball a V5 update, or were these always option parts?

Are steel pivot balls in plastic rod ends/aluminum shock caps really a good idea? Seems like you'd be decreasing the rate of wear of a cheap and easy to replace part and increasing the rate of wear of a more expensive and/or difficult to replace part.

Are steel pivot balls in plastic rod ends/aluminum shock caps really a good idea? Seems like you'd be decreasing the rate of wear of a cheap and easy to replace part and increasing the rate of wear of a more expensive and/or difficult to replace part.
Steel balls make sense for the rod ends, but not so much for the aluminium caps IMO. I personally think the M2C delrin bushings are the best option

Having said this, I haven't tried them myself, partly because the wear of the stock ones aren't that noticeable even in my oldest truck, and mostly because I can't really justify spending £6 on four tiny bits of plastic for each of my 4 Arrma rigs

Definitely food for thought. I have steel shock pivots in aluminum shock caps on my other vehicles: I have not had an issue, probably because I don't run my RC vehicles hard.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back