Big Rock Arrma Towing a boat

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aye thank you man!! And yeah I’m 14

No problem man. What other kind of stuff have you designed? Do you have any experience with any 3D modeling software? Do you want to? I have a copy of AutoCAD2005 that I can send you. Something like this trailer would have been perfect for it. It’s not much, it’s what I learned on in 2005, just to get your feet wet and get you familiar with 3D modeling. Maybe someone else here has a copy of Solidworks, SolidEdge or NX or something you can use. Actually come to think of it, you can download a free student version of SolidEdge! I can help you if you have any questions on SolidEdge or NX if you were to get it. You can also use the model created to print from. Just let me know man.

Also, if you arent already familiar with https://www.mcmaster.com then you need to take sometime and just explore the website and get to know what is commercially available. I’d start with just fasteners and go from there. I think a guy like you would enjoy it. Just always remember when designing something that 95% of anything you need has probably already been designed by someone else and they have already done the legwork in figuring out the best way to do something. This goes for fasteners, mechanisms, clamps, you name it. Even if something isn’t exactly what you need, 9 times out of 10 you can still modify it to work for what you need. What’s nice about buying something is it has already been quality tested and proven to work so you can focus on the “custom” part of your design and can avoid reinventing the wheel on something as mundane as a clamp for instance.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded post but I enjoy feeding a young creative mind. It has taken me 15 years of design engineering to learn what I now know and I love watching young designers because Im always surprised at some of the stuff they come up with and I sometimes even learn a thing or two from them.

Keep up the good work brother. You ever have any questions man just fire away.

Edit - you’d be surprised how many aspects of RC translate into other areas. For instance, when you adjust your punch setting on your ESC all you’re doing is adjusting an acceleration curve. You do the same thing when tuning a machine tool, part of that is adjusting the acceleration and deceleration rate. Gear ratios, the mechanics of a shock etc.

Last edited:
No problem man. What other kind of stuff have you designed? Do you have any experience with any 3D modeling software? Do you want to? I have a copy of AutoCAD2005 that I can send you. Something like this trailer would have been perfect for it. It’s not much, it’s what I learned on in 2005, just to get your feet wet and get you familiar with 3D modeling. Maybe someone else here has a copy of Solidworks, SolidEdge or NX or something you can use. Actually come to think of it, you can download a free student version of SolidEdge! I can help you if you have any questions on SolidEdge or NX if you were to get it. You can also use the model created to print from. Just let me know man.

Also, if you arent already familiar with https://www.mcmaster.com then you need to take sometime and just explore the website and get to know what is commercially available. I’d start with just fasteners and go from there. I think a guy like you would enjoy it. Just always remember when designing something that 95% of anything you need has probably already been designed by someone else and they have already done the legwork in figuring out the best way to do something. This goes for fasteners, mechanisms, clamps, you name it. Even if something isn’t exactly what you need, 9 times out of 10 you can still modify it to work for what you need. What’s nice about buying something is it has already been quality tested and proven to work so you can focus on the “custom” part of your design and can avoid reinventing the wheel on something as mundane as a clamp for instance.

Anyway, sorry for the long winded post but I enjoy feeding a young creative mind. It has taken me 15 years of design engineering to learn what I now know and I love watching young designers because Im always surprised at some of the stuff they come up with and I sometimes even learn a thing or two from them.

Keep up the good work brother. You ever have any questions man just fire away.
Yeah I’d like to get into 3D printing but idk anything about it and I don’t have a 3S printer and they seem to be pretty expensive.
And I really do like designing new creative stuff, I just don’t always have the money to make some of the stuff I want to. I’m about to start working though so I should be able to make some more random stuff hopefully. I appreciate it and I’ll definitely let you know if I have any questions about anything like that!!

Yeah I’d like to get into 3D printing but idk anything about it and I don’t have a 3S printer and they seem to be pretty expensive.
And I really do like designing new creative stuff, I just don’t always have the money to make some of the stuff I want to. I’m about to start working though so I should be able to make some more random stuff hopefully. I appreciate it and I’ll definitely let you know if I have any questions about anything like that!!

Do you have access to a decent computer? I can help you get the software. You can get a decent printer to get you started for the same price you paid for your Big Rock too.

Do you have access to a decent computer? I can help you get the software. You can get a decent printer to get you started for the same price you paid for your Big Rock too.
I have access to a pretty good computer, but not any good WiFi. Would the WiFi affect it at all? I might just have to start saving up or ask for one for my birthday instead of an scx10?

I have access to a pretty good computer, but not any good WiFi. Would the WiFi affect it at all? I might just have to start saving up or ask for one for my birthday instead of an scx10?

Nope, no need for WiFi. I can’t do it now or I would but do a search for the term “Free student Dowload Solid Edge” and it should show on the Siemens website. You will probably need you school email. Download that and you can get started on learning 3D modeling now so you are ready to print once you get your printer.

Nope, no need for WiFi. I can’t do it now or I would but do a search for the term “Free student Dowload Solid Edge” and it should show on the Siemens website. You will probably need you school email. Download that and you can get started on learning 3D modeling now so you are ready to print once you get your printer.
I’m signed up and downloading right now. Can’t wait to start learning how to do it!! I have a little bit of experience from technology class in middle school but it wasn’t much. Thank you.?

I’m signed up and downloading right now. Can’t wait to start learning how to do it!! I have a little bit of experience from technology class in middle school but it wasn’t much. Thank you.?

Awesome! Bring on the questions!
Quick tip, switch to ordered mode. You do not want to learn off the bat in synchronous.

Do it! Good on you, friend!
Get the printer for your birthday and start banging out some parts and get brighter every day you play. Take advantage of your mind and the resources offered and you'll be in great shape when it's time to get down to considering a small hobby income to help pay for parts. In my opinion, you'll never gain more available time than the time available right now and record your successes for your resume to submit to schools and work in the future.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back